What do you recommend?

PDA

rection47
September 21, 2006, 07:05 PM
{{Edit: P99 in 9mm}}

I am down to 4 handguns for my first. Any information on why you chose it will be highly appreciated thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you recommend?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HorseSoldier
September 21, 2006, 07:09 PM
P-99 in 40 or 9mm?

rection47
September 21, 2006, 07:13 PM
9mm sorry forgot to put that in there

Josh Aston
September 21, 2006, 07:13 PM
I voted for the P99, but if you have big hands the Beretta might be a good choice also.

modifiedbrowning
September 21, 2006, 07:37 PM
I voted for the P99. It was my first pistol and now I have two more.

Bazooka Joe71
September 21, 2006, 07:39 PM
Whats are you going to use it for?

EdLaver
September 21, 2006, 07:40 PM
I voted for the Beretta, if you are a big guy (5'10+, 220lbs+) the 92fs can serve as an all purpose tool. Home Defense, Concealed Carry, and all out range fun. Reliability isnt an issue with any of your choices but the 92fs stands alone by far.

rection47
September 21, 2006, 07:47 PM
Most likely would just be used at the range and home defense if that was ever necessary.

knoxx45
September 21, 2006, 07:48 PM
the beretta would be my second choice. The fact that you are not comparing apples to apples (i'm talking about caliber, price, and operating systems) Makes this purely subjective. You have 4 great chioces there. I voted for the HK because I believe that they are the best. I own many pistols, but the HK USP45 is my nightstand/ SHTF handgun. Go HK and you will NOT be dissapointed. My second choice is the beretta because they are rugged and inexpensive, as are extra mags.

Knoxx

Navy87Guy
September 21, 2006, 08:09 PM
The Beretta is a classic -- and a solid weapon. It's a traditional DA/SA pistol with a safety, so you'll learn a pretty standard manual of arms using it. Field stripping and cleaning is pretty simple and parts are easy to get and relatively inexpensive (as are the magazines). It's also extremely accurate and fun to shoot!

I also have the P99, which is another fantastic gun. It's a bit pricey, though -- especially if you get the AS model with the DA/SA trigger (which I prefer.) Parts are harder to get and tend to be more expensive, since the gun isn't as widespread. (New mags can run $30-$40 each!)

I know you said 4 guns....but if you haven't done so, you owe it to yourself to consider the new Beretta PX4. It comes in a little lower than the price of a 92 (and a lot lower than a P99). It features interchangeable backstraps olike the P99. It's more comfortable and more accurate (for me) than my M9.

Every firearm collection needs a Beretta at some point - might as well start out with one!

Jim

rection47
September 21, 2006, 08:15 PM
Yea i havent heard enough or held a 90-two so i didnt put it in there.

Navy87Guy
September 21, 2006, 08:21 PM
Yea i havent heard enough or held a 90-two so i didnt put it in there.

Not the 90-Two, the PX4 Storm -- Beretta's new polymer framed pistol. I have pics of mine on my website, here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/berettapx4.html

Jim

rection47
September 21, 2006, 09:21 PM
hm i dont really like the looks of that and my bad on the mistake heh

possum
September 21, 2006, 09:28 PM
I voted xd and i think that they would be a great first gun. they are a great value that will serve you well for a long time! But i reccomend the xd to everyone, but i stand beside them 100%. the xd would meet the rquiremnets, for range/home defense, and could also be a great carry gun if you decided to go that route in the future! let us know what you decide.

Wesker
September 21, 2006, 09:34 PM
You can't go wrong with HK, but it's price is very very steep for a first gun. If you just want a simple and reliable gun to have for a first, then the XD is your best choice.

ReadyontheRight
September 21, 2006, 09:37 PM
Beretta.

XD Fan
September 21, 2006, 11:47 PM
Those XDs are awesome. I have been insanely happy with mine for the last five years.

CajunBass
September 21, 2006, 11:56 PM
Of the ones you listed, I'd go with the XD, but I would (and did) get it it in 9mm simply because the ammo is less expensive so you'll shoot it more. Less recoil too.

However for a true "first" handgun, a Ruger (or other) 22 is even a better choice for the same reasons. Come back for the big gun later.

Heavy Metal Hero
September 21, 2006, 11:56 PM
I am in the same position...for me it goes like this.

SIG P226 > HK USP > Springfield XD > Maybe a CZ-75 or Jericho (baby eagle)?

10-Ring
September 22, 2006, 12:11 AM
I like a few guns on your list...I love the 92fs & the USP either would do very well as a 1st, 2nd or even a 3rd gun ;) Get the one you can get the better deal on :D

Geronimo45
September 22, 2006, 12:29 AM
Beretta for a couple of reasons:
1st: 9mm. Cheap ammo, lots of good defense rounds for it. You can shoot a lot to get used to it, and not go bankrupt in the process.
2nd: Probably a lighter recoil than a .40.
3rd: Steel=beauty.
4th: Proven design, works reliably for most civvy situations.
5th: Crimson Trace Lasergrips are available for it.

You could get a Walther P99 in 9mm - haven't heard anything bad about them. The Walther might be easier to concealed-carry, and has an accessory rail if I remember right.

IOW, I say to either get John McClane's gun or James Bond's from your list.

rection47
September 22, 2006, 01:41 PM
Good old diehard. Ill probably go with the beretta or walther for 9mm, i do really like the usp, and i dont know as much about the XD but i hear great things about em.

longeyes
September 22, 2006, 01:48 PM
XD, in 9mm--unless you opt for a Glock 19! (Hey, someone had to say it!)

Desperado
September 22, 2006, 01:51 PM
I used a Springfield XD to qualify for my CHL and it shot great and felt good in my hand. I like the H&K, but thats just a bit pricy for my taste. And someone correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt Taurus make version of the Beretta 92? Im pretty sure thats the one they make and its quite a bit cheaper. But out of those choices I would go with the XD.

Essex County
September 22, 2006, 02:10 PM
I don't own anything on your list, but I have shot the Beretta in various guises. I think it's a great pistol in 9mm...........Essex

HorseSoldier
September 22, 2006, 03:31 PM
P-99 in 9mm is a very solid choice. Get the AS trigger, as someone already suggested -- in single action mode it's probably the best factory trigger on a plastic gun you'll find.

Jack19
September 22, 2006, 04:16 PM
Of your choices, for me, the Beretta is the pick. However, I'd look for a 92G instead of the FS.

Just a personal preference.

TC-TX
September 22, 2006, 04:27 PM
The XD Hands Down...

The XD Series are remarkable...

rection47
September 22, 2006, 07:34 PM
XD, in 9mm--unless you opt for a Glock 19!
Not a fan of how the Glock 19 feels in my hand.

P-99 in 9mm is a very solid choice. Get the AS trigger, as someone already suggested -- in single action mode it's probably the best factory trigger on a plastic gun you'll find.
I've read that the P99 9mm is hard to get in AS, but i know the person to find out.

CAnnoneer
September 22, 2006, 07:44 PM
I voted Beretta. Best overall, especially for a first gun, for potentially less experienced shooters, and for home defense. Even if you are proficient with plastics, remember that your lady may end up having to use the gun in a crisis situation. The harder trigger and the need for a firm grip for proper cycling will make the XD and the P99 clearly inferior to the Beretta. On the other hand, if you or she has small hands, the Beretta might be too uncomfortable.

Juna
September 22, 2006, 09:23 PM
Go with the H&K. It's the best by far of those you've listed. Light, polymer, very accurate, and great ergonomics, IMO.

rection47
September 22, 2006, 10:18 PM
Well by the comments id probably steer towards the HK or the Beretta, but cant ignore that of the XD (even tho i never thought id consider it in the beginning). Hard choice even with the majority going for XD and 92FS!
My hand tells me "GET THE DARN WALTHER!", but it seems to be less supported.

I know the 92FS is like 650 normal but the inox is kinda nice looking, but then it makes it as much as the USP. Does the inox have any differences besides the finish?

EdLaver
September 22, 2006, 11:36 PM
There is not much difference in the Inox and 92fs other than the finish. The Inox comes in a nice case but other than that and the finish its the same. Another point to consider with the Beretta and HK is the magazine prices. 92fs mags are everywhere at bargain prices while the HK mags are steep in price, about $30+ bucks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you recommend?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!