Can anyone give any opinions about the 9mm Baby Eagle?

PDA

crazydog
September 21, 2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Can anyone give any opinions about the 9mm Baby Eagle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atblis
September 21, 2006, 08:26 PM
CZ variant. Sister gun to the Witness. If you like the CZ ergonomics, you'll like the BE.
Very mild on recoil due to mass and ergonomics
They are durable
They are generally reliable
All and all a decent gun. They used to be cheaper, and were a decent deal. Now that their prices have snuck up a little, not so much anymore.
If they fit your hand, and you like the feel and looks, there's really no reason not to buy one.

BTW, the Israelis are not using them anymore (nothing to do with the gun really). They have switched to SIGs and Glocks (there might be a few still around...).

You can get a genuine CZ for less.

hexidismal
September 21, 2006, 08:30 PM
I don't know much about it.. but I've checked one out at the store on occasion .. and I found it to be seemingly too heavy for its size .. or if not heavy, perhaps just weighted unusually in such a way that I find it awkward. But that's just me.

EdLaver
September 21, 2006, 08:57 PM
There are many variants of the Baby eagle:

All steel:
full size 5 inch barrel
sub compact 4 inch barrel
compact 3.5 inch barrel

Polymer:
sub compact 4 inch barrel
compact 3.5 inch barrel

I myself own the polymer sub compact in 9mm and I must say it is my favorite 9mm. Its not as heavy as the steel versions, great ergonomics, accurate out to the 25-30 yard mark, and has a capacity of 15+1. the mags are fairly resonably priced also at around $20-25 bucks. Its is set at SA/DA and with close to 1000 rounds through mine I havent had a single problem.

kir_kenix
September 21, 2006, 09:12 PM
i have only shot 2 mags thru it, so i pbly am not the best resourse ever....having said that, i liked it alot...but it seemed really darn barrel heavy to me. seemed like my arm was kind of thrown far off to the right w/ each shot. i'm sure id get used to it if i had one. i really liked the feel of it and it seems like it is really well built. my friend whom i borrowed it from loves it. he's fires about 500 rounds a month thru it w/ no prob. i wouldnt mind having one, but i would pbly get the cz w/ the shorter barrel instead.

D-Man
September 21, 2006, 09:19 PM
I own one, and think it is a very good full-sized metal gun. This was my first gun, and wanted a smooth shooting 9mm. In the end, I bought this over the Beretta 92 because it felt slightly better in my hands.

What are you looking to do with it? For a range and home defense gun, I think it is a superb choice. It has a safety that you can use if you'd like, or just leave it off it not.

The only negatives to me are that it's not as popular as other choices, so you may see a lack of aftermarket stuff. To me, it wasn't that big of a deal - other than Hogue grips and magazines, I don't plan to do anything else with it.

Edit - think if you do a search you can find a few other posts on the Eagle with more information.

10-Ring
September 22, 2006, 12:14 AM
I've shot 2 diff't 9mm baby eagles. Both were comfy, reliable, accurate & dependable...and a nice deal too. What else could you ask for?

MachIVshooter
September 22, 2006, 12:29 PM
One of the most robust, reliable, accurate, ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing auto's on the market. I would take mine over guns twice or three times it's price any day.

o/u mike
September 22, 2006, 12:36 PM
I have a semi-compact in brushed chrome. The trigger is fantastic and much better than the CZ that I no longer own. Magazine capacity is great and mags can be found at a discount from MRI if you buy more than one, or from Cheaper than Dirt and sometimes CDNN. I find the weight to actually be an advantage, unless you are thinking CCW. The safety is a decocker, which was one of the reasons it appealed to me as my first semi-auto. Here's a pic with my Ruger GP100, which was my first handgun.

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/7708/beagleandgp1001xk.jpg

bb21
September 22, 2006, 12:43 PM
I love mine, I have the full sized steel BE, in 9mm and it is an excellent gun. I picked mine up new for $280. Mine is an older model without the decocker, but it has the frame mounted safety which I prefer. They are hard to find for a good price, I have had mine for a couple of years and it is great, I am quite sure we won't see more at that price. The CZ is a great way to go you could also check out EAA's Witness, also a well build gun. With the CZ you don't have the heavy dust cover like on the BE and Witness, which is all a matter of preference. Good luck and be safe.

bb21
September 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
I almost forgot the magazines are interchangable with the CZ75 and CZ85 as well as the Witness as long as they are full size, I am not sure if the polymer models are interchageable. check out Natches shooter supply, they have pretty good prices on ProMags, I got a 15 rd for $12 + s/h.

http://www.natchezss.com/
http://www.czforum.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Can anyone give any opinions about the 9mm Baby Eagle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!