the search for the does-it-all gun belt

PDA

silverlance
September 21, 2006, 09:35 PM
Gun, check.
Holster, check.
belt - oh oh.

I wear a 32" belt that's about 1.5" wide. it's not bad - but I don't think Kenneth Cole had p228s in mind when he designed it. Besides, the holster slides around too much.

Then again, since I can't CCW, perhaps I might be able to give myself more leeway than CCW folks. While CCW folks have to worry about printing and unobtrusiveness, the only thing I might have to worry about should I ever need to walk around strapped is fit and reliability.

So I dug about the castle's armory until I pulled out an old 1967 GI belt, the old kind that has a brassed steel clasp. Fits just great! And it comes on easily on and off enough that I can always slap it on me at will. Sturdy, robust, a perfect fit.

The problem, now, though is this - how can I find a p228 holster that will fit this relic?

Ah, the search continues.

If you enjoyed reading about "the search for the does-it-all gun belt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
s&w 24
September 22, 2006, 03:55 AM
good luck. Maybe a british made canvas holster for a BHP ? IMA has these on and of again.

duckjihad
September 22, 2006, 08:21 AM
I carried a S&W 629 on an army web belt for quite some time. Worked Well. I used an Uncle Mike's holster. I had an old canteen cover from years ago that used a wire hanger designed for that web belt. The old Army full flap 45 holsters had the same wire hanger. I took the hanger from the canteen holder, slid it through the belt slide thingy (for lack of a proper term) on the back of the holster, and mounted it up. Worked like a charm. Hit a Army Surplus store and look for the old Vietnam era canteen covers.

eab
September 22, 2006, 11:07 AM
I took an uncle mikes holster for my Remington 1858 and with a little 550 cord attached it to my pistol belt. Threaded it through the gromets on the blet then through the belt loop on the holster. Tied it off with a square knot and it works fine.

No problems yet ;)

Gun Wielding Maniac
September 22, 2006, 06:05 PM
I would get a Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch belt with the polymer insert for extra stiffness. I would get it in 1.75 inches. In fact, it is what I'm wearing now. I've had the belt for 4 years and I love it. It accepts heavy loads without sagging and it can be worn with regular clothes without drawing a second glance.

Chuck R.
September 23, 2006, 10:59 AM
Check out:

http://www.thebeltman.net/bullhide.htm

Ive got one of his 1.5 cowhide belts with a plastic stiffener. The 1.5 goes with; slacks, jeans, etc. This belt and a good holster mean all day comfort. Plus, it really is a nice looking belt.

Chuck

VWTim
September 23, 2006, 04:00 PM
Lots of good belts mentioned above. I rotate between a Wilderness 5 stick 1.5" and an Aker B21 double thick leather belt. The Aker's are cheap ~$35 and plenty dressy. I wear mine in an office environment where jeans and tucked in polo's are the norm. Looks like any belt you'd buy at the store.

autospike
September 23, 2006, 04:02 PM
Wilderness 1.5" Double stitched for extra stiffness.

The polymer makes it too stiff and it gaps if you're running IWB IMHO.

AndyC
September 23, 2006, 05:04 PM
Ross Gunleather (Cape Town, South Africa) - plain suede-lined dress belt. Had this since the late 80's and it's been everywhere - thanks, Lindsay! :D

modifiedbrowning
September 23, 2006, 05:17 PM
Rafter S (http://www.raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm)

If you enjoyed reading about "the search for the does-it-all gun belt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!