Suggestions on a compact 9mm

PDA

PlayboyPenguin
September 22, 2006, 02:42 AM
I am looking to purchase a compact pistol in either a 9mm or similar caliber as a winter carry pistol (I have my seecamp .32 for summer). Any suggestions as to what pistol and what carry configuration. Keep in mind I DO NOT like plastic guns. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestions on a compact 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
September 22, 2006, 02:49 AM
No plastic guns? Well, I guess we can try to work around that. ;)
Kahr K9 or MK9
SIG P239
S&W 3913 or similar sized model

Geronimo45
September 22, 2006, 02:51 AM
Kahr, or a CZ RAMI if you want 9mm. A USP compact might do - or a CZ 83/Bereretta 84 in .380. With them, you get a high-cap .380. Or a Bersa. Maybe even a pair of Bersas.
Shoulder holster for 'em all - because it's probably the best all-around holster there is. An IWB isn't so good when you're seated, and an ankle is slow almost anytime. Shoulder holster has about the same draw time whether standing or seated.
Yes, they require a cover garment. I happen to like wearing a coat - usually a leather jacket (since its buttons won't tear off).
The Kahrs and RAMI might go into an ankle holster. I'm pretty sure any of them would be easy to carry IWB.

3rdpig
September 22, 2006, 03:09 AM
I felt the same way about plastic guns until I shot a Glock 26. Best carry pistol I've owned, and in 28 years of daily carry that's saying something.

But if you insist on ignoring such a great carry pistol, consider the small S&W's, I carried a 3913 for several years before I got the Glock 26. Nice gun, light, flat, hides well, shoots straight and chambers anything.

armoredman
September 22, 2006, 03:09 AM
CZ PO1 or PCR, best out there.

No_Warning
September 22, 2006, 03:14 AM
Walther P99C ... oh no plastic guns? ....

weregunner
September 22, 2006, 04:43 AM
Recommend the S&W 908 if the 3913 is pricey. Kahrs K9 or T9 would also work. SIG 239 is another good pick. Correct me if I'm wrong folks. The steel framed Kahrs seem to have better dependability than the polymer ones.Or less problems overall. Have shot the 3913 Ladysmith. If I buy a single stack that is what it will be. One thing to add. Winter guns may need to be shot with winter gloves to see if the trigger will reset for each shot. Material might get caught or pinched keeping the trigger form resetting.No such trouble with my Ruger P97.

gunsmith
September 22, 2006, 05:04 AM
in .40S&W...oh...you don't like plastic?

Why 9mm anyway?

why not a nifty sp101? they come in a variety of calibers...mine is .357

PlayboyPenguin
September 22, 2006, 05:21 AM
Gunsmith,

I have an SP101 in my truck. I just can't find a way to carry it that does not print and allows me to actually sit down or bend over with it on me. maybe I just haven't found the right holster. I have an exterior worn paddle holster for it.

epijunkie67
September 22, 2006, 05:43 AM
I'll also recommend a Kahr. I personally use a PM9 and love it. The frame is polymer but the slide isn't and it's only 12 ounces unloaded. Hard to beat. They make nonplastic version also of course. It fits my hand better than almost any other gun I've ever shot. I use it as my summer carry gun since I usually move up to a .45 in the winter time.

I can drop my PM9 into a smartcarry holster (like thunderwear) and forget it's there. Accessable when I'm sitting or standing without difficulty and I need no cover garment. Conceals equally well with long or short pants.

If you don't want the size or price of a kahr I might suggest a Bursa also. Less costly and they also tend to fit the hand well.

Don't Tread On Me
September 22, 2006, 07:22 AM
I really don't like Kahr. I've owned one, and I've had one break while shooting it at the range (was a rental).

I don't like the idea of a pot-metal MIM slidestop pin. I dunno, I've been down that road - I simply am not convinced, not impressed and have no confidence in Kahr.

I'd consider a plastic gun, like the small Glocks (not a fan of them, but they're proven to be tough and reliable unlike Kahr) or an HK P2000SK. There's also the Springfield XD compact. It's not too large. Don't forget the Beretta 9000S. It's a little fat, but another choice.

For metal guns, Sig 239 is hard to beat. Great handguns. There's the CZ Rami. Seems pretty good, CZ has a great reputation and good build quality.

If I had to choose out of all of these, I'd take the HK P2000SK. If I was forced to choose all-metal, the Sig 239.

Juna
September 22, 2006, 07:56 AM
The best non-plastic Compact 9mm pistol, IMO, is the CZ 75D PCR. Alloy frame (light but strong), crazily accurate, reliable, fantastic ergonomics. Or, if you don't like the alloy frame & want steel, go for the CZ 75 Compact (all steel). You just can't beat a CZ in terms of bang for buck.

Don't Tread On Me
September 22, 2006, 08:06 AM
The 75D PCR is bigger than the RAMI. Size does matter, the guy was concerned about printing and being able to sit with it. That the 75D is about the size of a USP Compact, smaller than full size, but NOT really a concealed carry gun.

Of course, this all depends on how big of a frame your body has, the types of clothes you wear, your concealment style, and how cold it gets in winter. If huge coats are worn like in some parts of the north, you could practically conceal anything.

Legionnaire
September 22, 2006, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear about Don't Tread On Me's experience with Kahrs. I think their compacts make great carry guns. I had a K40, and it was a brick ... almost literally; built like one, and carried like one. Traded it on a P9, which is lighter and carries easier. No problems thus far. But since you don't like plastic, check out the K9 or MK9.

BrainOnSigs
September 22, 2006, 09:50 AM
Keep in mind I DO NOT like plastic guns.

Just wondering if you have owned or fired any of the following pistols? With you not wanting to consider polymer framed pistols has made you exclude 3 of the finest subcompact combat pistol in recent years.

Glock G26
HK P2000SK (my current carry)
Walther P99c

I used to be a Sig Sauer snob (carried a P229 for the first 3 years that I CC'd) but I have seen the light. The above pistols shoot fast, carry light and are very accurate and reliable.

skers69
September 22, 2006, 11:54 AM
I have a pcr I like. I also like the g26. Check our the Kahr.

LanEvo`
September 22, 2006, 12:14 PM
I have an SP101 in my truck. I just can't find a way to carry it that does not print and allows me to actually sit down or bend over with it on me. maybe I just haven't found the right holster. I have an exterior worn paddle holster for it.That's your problem right there. Generally speaking, paddle holsters are more difficult to conceal than most other designs. If you prefer carrying outside the waistband, try a high-riding pancake holster. Something like these, for example:

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/images/hl/hl_C_2145.jpg http://www.holsters.org/22h.jpg

If you're comforable with inside the waistband carry, then you have tons of other options.

Citadel99
September 22, 2006, 12:27 PM
If you can wait a few months, I'd take a serious look at the S&W M&P compact. Will be released initially in 9 and 40.

Mark

wuchak
September 22, 2006, 12:35 PM
Rohrbaugh. It's metal, 9mm, and about the size of your Seecamp. It could serve you for year-round carry and replace the Seecamp.

Black Majik
September 22, 2006, 12:43 PM
Take a look at the SIG P225. It's a single stack 9mm that is one hell of a shooter!

Its the same size as a P228, just single stack.

thumbody
September 22, 2006, 12:45 PM
It's a bit pricey but here is another possibility.

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/

RustyShackelford
September 22, 2006, 12:55 PM
If you do not want a sub compact 9mmNATO that has a plastic frame(why I don't know, :rolleyes: ) you may want to look into a SIGarms P-239 DA only(DAK type). This pistol has been around for several years and now has a CrimsonTrace lasergrip as an option.

I think it fires 8/9 rounds and is small.

www.crimsontrace.com www.sigarms.com www.gunsamerica.com

All the best;

Rusty ;)

falling leaves
September 22, 2006, 01:19 PM
It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned a Hi-Power yet. 9mm, all steel, thin, comfortable..... FM makes a short slide version also which would help in concealment, though the finish isn't as pretty as the Browning/FN's. I've actually got one on order - I'll post my impressions when it gets here if anyone is interested.

Oregongundude
September 22, 2006, 01:27 PM
Well if you don't like Plastic pistols, you need to look at some kimbers, or springfield compact 1911 either in the .45 acp, or 9mm.

:)

Chupacabra
September 22, 2006, 01:29 PM
It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned a Hi-Power yet. 9mm, all steel, thin, comfortable.....

This is a good suggestion. :D

The Sig239 is also an excellent choice.

Whirlwind06
September 22, 2006, 01:39 PM
Bersa UC 9
http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/images/pistols/bersa_thunder9_large.gif

CALIBER: 9 MM
OPERATION: Semi-Automatic
ACTION: Double Action
OVERALL LENGTH: 6.5"
HEIGHT: 4.5"
WIDTH: 1.5"
BARREL LENGTH: 3.5"
WEIGHT: 24.5 oz
SIGHTS: White Outline Target Sight
MAGAZINE CAPACITY: 10 Rounds
SAFETIES: Manual, Firing Pin
FINISH: Matte, Nickel, Stainless Steel
GRIPS: Anatomically Designed Polymer Grips
TRIGGER PULL: 8 to 13 lbs. Double Action / 5 to 7 lbs. Single Action

GeorgiaGlocker
September 22, 2006, 02:06 PM
No plastic guns. How to you account for millions of them being sold? That's too bad.

Lonestar
September 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
If your sticking with all metal go with a S&W CS9. If you change your mind about plastic go with a Glock 26. Both are used by a lot of police officers as backup & off duty weapons.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12755&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

eagle45
September 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
I have not seen Springfield's new offering mentioned yet. Anybody seen one?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-emp.shtml

10-Ring
September 22, 2006, 05:56 PM
Compact 9, I'd go w/ either a HK P2000sk, G26 or if an all metal I'd go w/ a SIG P239

BrennanKG
September 22, 2006, 06:26 PM
Sig 225

They aren't imported any longer but you can still find them around.

B.

torpid
September 22, 2006, 10:02 PM
Taurus Millenium Pro PT111. A very impressive compact 9mm pistol with a usable DAO trigger and a safety. Good gun for carry with one in the pipe as there are two firing blocks to manually overcome. Very concealable, although that was not my concern. Deadly accurate within 20-25 feet. The combat sights take some getting used to. Rated for maximun 124 grain loads. Don't know if it will stand up to the new +P and +P+ ammo, but should be OK with the old 115 grain stuff of bygone days. Just a darn good cheap truck gun for everyday knock about use and woods carry. IMHO.

As much as I do like the Mil Pros, he did specify NO PLASTIC.

torpid
September 22, 2006, 10:03 PM
Oh, and welcome!

Drewrw
September 22, 2006, 10:53 PM
in .40S&W...oh...you don't like plastic?

Why 9mm anyway?

why not a nifty sp101? they come in a variety of calibers...mine is .357

Because maybe (like yourself) he prefers a certain cartridge......:banghead:

There is nothing wrong with a 9mm. Shooting someone with a Corbon or Hydrashok will make someone have bad day just like other calibers. Ammo selection and shot placement is MUCH more important than different calibers. :what:

torpid
September 23, 2006, 12:12 AM
Because maybe (like yourself) he prefers a certain cartridge......

You can actually get the SP-101 in 9mm if you look for it.

And welcome!

jlh26oo
September 23, 2006, 12:30 AM
1.5" wide, damn that bersa's FAT.

Limited experience with them yet (should change w/in the next couple of days), but if I was locked into no plastic, I'd probably try a steel framed kahr. They supposedly don't have the issues as the poly kahrs, on which I even gambled.

Drewrw
September 23, 2006, 12:53 AM
You can actually get the SP-101 in 9mm if you look for it.

The post I quoted said "why 9mm?" :confused: I knew you could get a sp101 in 9mm............

kevin387
September 23, 2006, 12:58 AM
Sig 239

Whirlwind06
September 23, 2006, 01:42 AM

I don't own one. Just throwing it out as a suggestion. I wonder if that is the grip width or the slide width. I'm not real crazy about the DA/SA triggers myself either SA or DAO for me. I have a XD9 now though, I guess that is somewhere in the middle :)

Pilot
September 23, 2006, 10:59 AM
Double stack: CZ-75D PCR (my daily carry)

Single Stack: HK P7M8 or P7 PSP (my alternate carry)

Dollar An Hour
September 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
Already mentioned by several posters previously but I have to agree -

Sig P239 or S&W 3913, both are reliable, you just need to see which you like the ergonomics of better.

If on more of a budget, try the S&W 908.

The Lone Haranguer
September 23, 2006, 02:25 PM
A 10-round compact pistol is going to have a double-column magazine, therefore a bigger grip, but I doubt if the gun is really that "fat." More likely this measurement is taken across the safety lever(s) which protrude from the frame.

possum
September 23, 2006, 02:34 PM
If you are set on a auto loader than i would recommend the kahr k9 my dad has the k9 elite and i have the k40 and both are excellent pistols, i normally like plastic guns but when he had the polymer framed in .40 i wasn't much thrilled by it. But if you want compact, with a steel frame, and a great all around pistol, you can't go wrong with a kahr! even though they are steel framed i sometimes forget i even have the gun on my hip!

Slinger
September 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
Just got my S&W 908 last week.
Single stack 9mm.
Metal (aluminum) frame.
Shoots well for a compact pistol.
Lifetime warranty.
Made in the good ol' USA by an American owned company.
Priced under $500.
What's not to love? ;)

Michigunner
September 23, 2006, 06:29 PM
The Sig P239 will be there when you need it.

It is a Personal sized gun, but will not go in the pocket.

Works great IWB on in a belt holster.

If you happen to have very small hands, they also offer the Sig short trigger, which makes it easier to reach.

Bill

george29
September 23, 2006, 06:48 PM
Took me years to accept plastic guns, not that i own any anymore but if I ever went back to pistol carry I would not consider anything metal anymore. Polymar is stronger and more durable than steel, and other than the P-38, Browning Hi-Power or Colt Government I have little sentement toward autoloaders. To me an autoloader is for function and it's job description is mainly self-defense. Having said that, I do enjoy the craftmanship of metal pistols and for CCW, if it were to be metal, then most of the suggestions here are good, though I would hesitate with a Bersa and that is probably prejudice talking and not anything else. My main fear is knowing that the gun will go "BOOM" and not "click" when I need it. (That's why I always carry a NAA .22mag filled with snakeshot as backup).
I liked the compacts in FN and CZ and HK for non-plastic CCW, I have heard too many mixed reviews on Kahr or any other 1911 type weapon for CCW. I know nothing about S&W autoloaders, never like them (just being prejudiced I know).

PlayboyPenguin
September 23, 2006, 10:39 PM
Eagle45,

I too am curious about the new Springfield. I want to see one in person.

valor1
September 23, 2006, 11:13 PM
You've got to have the CzPO1 and don't look back or any further!

PlayboyPenguin
September 24, 2006, 12:10 AM
Anyone have any thoughs on the Para-Ordnance Hawg models? I am also considering The Walther P99 (I know it is plastic but liked the feel of it). I do want to feel the Springfield Mini 1911 first before mking a decision. I even like the Taurus models size and weight wise but I do not want DAO. :)

varoadking
September 24, 2006, 12:31 AM
HK P7M8

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestions on a compact 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!