My brace of '51 Navy Revolvers...

PDA

Mossyrock
September 22, 2006, 12:22 PM
arrived last night from Cabellas and they look pretty good. They appear to be timed correctly, lock up well, and the actions are pretty good. They are a little gritty, but that should smooth up with use and cleaning. The triggers have quite a bit of creep in them, and I don't think much can be done about it. I can't seem to get them apart, though. The wedges are flush with the frame on the right side, so I will need to make a narrower delrin punch and try to drive them out the rest of the way, or figure out how to pry them out from the left. Suggestions?

Once I get the new grips, I'll post some photos, and more when I get my rig from Big Ed at San Pedro.

If you enjoyed reading about "My brace of '51 Navy Revolvers..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
September 22, 2006, 12:50 PM
It's very typical that new BP guns are tight. For the screws you need gunsmith's screwdrivers -- the kind with the squared tips that fit snugly.
Using a punch to drift out the wedge is the right idea. A brass one is okay. Just make sure the tip is narrower than the slot in the barrel. As you shoot the gun and dissassemble it for cleaning, over time, the wedge will tend to "squish" and move farther to the right. Once it's so far over that it goes all the way, and the barrel remains loose, you need a new wedge.

BTW; can I ask a question? Do your Pietta's have the safety pins on the heel of the cylinder, halfway between the nipples? I have 1 Pietta without them, and another, which has the PVC whit grips with the Confederate "STARS AND BARS" emblem on them that I use as a wall hanger, that does have them. I'm just wondering if Pietta is starting to put these pins on their 1851s; they didn't use to. Thanks!

Mossyrock
September 22, 2006, 03:20 PM
Both of them have the pins. Very handy.....

If you enjoyed reading about "My brace of '51 Navy Revolvers..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!