Slug Question?

PDA

carpediem
September 23, 2006, 01:25 AM
Hi all,

Are hollowpoint slugs a viable defense load for a 12 gauge? Are there any problems with reliability, overpenetration (soft targets or walls), or failure to consistently expand (due to design flaws or material blocking the HP cavity)?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bad LT
September 23, 2006, 01:30 AM
A deer is not all that different than a man. I think they will work fine.

carpediem
September 23, 2006, 01:52 AM
What I'm really most concerned about is the possibility of overpenetration. Is it likely in soft targets/walls, or will the HP expansion effectively stop the round?

jackslayer
September 23, 2006, 03:41 AM
i used to load slugs in my shoty for home security til i realized we were in an apartment and my guess is the damn 1 1/8 oz of lead would find itself logged in somebody three walls over. why not just use some heavy shot. At close range not too many people are going to continue trying something after any shot from a 12 gauge. I would deffinately be concerned about overpenetration unless you live in a cabin alone. in which case i would just load the heaviest damn slugs i could find and almost feel sorry for the guy that broke in.

wdlsguy
September 23, 2006, 11:20 AM
A fellow who goes by the name of Old Painless fired a variety of shotgun loads at drywall and determined that a slug will go through a dozen sheets!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

carpediem
September 23, 2006, 01:22 PM
Okay, I guess slugs are out of the question. (Overpenetration is a really big concern where I live.) I thought hollowpoints might not be as problematic, but it appears they are.

Thanks all

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!