PX4 REVIEWS?

PDA

jackslayer
September 23, 2006, 03:29 AM
been wondering about the px4 since i saw it. Anyone have one to tell me about?

If you enjoyed reading about "PX4 REVIEWS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possum
September 23, 2006, 10:20 AM
I personally don't have one but if you use the search function you will probally come across a good review and pretty long thread about the px4 not to long ago. Hope this helps!

SouthpawShootr
September 23, 2006, 11:02 AM
Try www.berettaforum.net. Lots of information there. Most threads I've seen are complementary. A few problems here and there, but I get the impression than the bugs are pretty much worked out. I have the gun, but haven't gotten out to shoot it yet. Very well built. Has a rotating barrel lockup system similar to the Cougar series guns, but the locking block and takedown is different (kind of like Glock in that regard). The changeable backstraps are nice. My particular gun didn't come with these but the "medium" backstrap that came with it fits me fine (this is the way it is most of the time, I find). Holsters are still a pain in the butt to find, but many of the plastic (Kydex) guys are on-board, Galco makes a few, and Fist offers pretty much their entire line for it, as does High Noon.

Navy87Guy
September 23, 2006, 04:35 PM
I love my PX4 -- it became my carry gun a few weeks ago when I was able to get a Comp-Tac IWB for it. It's accurate, reliable, and comfortable to shoot. Although it has the polymer frame, the heavy slide is a nice balance and, along with the rotating barrel system, makes recoil very easy to manage. I like the trigger - although I don't seem to notice take up problems as much as some people appear to!

As far as accessories, Southpaw is right -- all the major fols are coming on line. Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac are now offering Kydex holsters for it (I love my Comp-Tac Pro Undercover) as are most of the leather makers. I also have a High Noon Snapper holster which is a nice fit.

The factory sights are Superluminova (photoluminescent paint). Trijicon just came out with true night sights (around $99) which will be going on next!

The only disappointment (to me) was that the PX4 doesn't use the same mags as the 92 series. So you have to buy new magazines (17-rds is standard from the factory).

All in all, I think Beretta has a real winner with the PX4. There are rumors about a compact model coming out this winter -- and many are holding out hope for a .45 ACP version. If you're interested, try to find someone to let you shoot theirs or rent one at a range. You won't be disappointed!

Jim

NVMM
September 23, 2006, 05:19 PM
SouthpawShootr
Call Beretta at 888-268-3265.
They will send you backstraps at no charge.

I think Navy87Guy said it all. I love my PX4 too!

Shrike360
September 24, 2006, 12:06 AM
There is one in this months issue of Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement. They only had one complaint, and that was that they were unable to fit a Surefire X200 on it, but there are many other weapon lights out there.

Warren
September 24, 2006, 12:30 AM
Just got mine, well I have a fews day more of a "waiting period" before I can bring it home, and I put 340 rounds of different types of .40 through it with not problems at all.

Do not like the sights though. As soon as I find out XS has a Big Dot set for it those will go on.

I can see why the Italians have not had so much success in modern war, if their sights have been historically this bad.

With WWB I chewed a nice size hole right near the center of the target. By aiming just a little right I was able to remove the x-ring. And get this: after a string of shots one of the spent cases was on the little table, I picked up that case and with a two finger fling put it through the hole at a distance of 21'. I know, I was impressed with myself as well.

The extraction was consistant and strong, in fact I had four cases land, after bouncing off the divider, in the right hand breast pocket of my Dickies work shirt, and while I don't really know what that means I like to think that it means the extractor is 'just right'.

Double taps were easy, the reduced recoil from the rotating barrel makes follow-up shots super easy.

Yoou will probably like to buy the after-market slim-line controls as the ambi-safety levers that come with the PX4 are quite pronounced. It looks like it has little pointy ears siticking out of the slide.

Nice gun. I give it a thumbs up.

Navy87Guy
September 24, 2006, 04:43 PM
I took my wife to the range this morning for her quarterly "qual" on her Ruger P93 (I like her to remain proficient and comfortable with her house gun). I made the mistake of bringing my PX4 along for her to try (it's new since the last trip).

Well....let's just say that she has a new house gun! I put the small backstrap on and it fit her like a glove. Her groups were tight at self-defense ranges (5 and 7 yds) and she really liked the feel and the lower recoil (even though the Ruger is a heavier gun). So now I'm going to have to buy another PX4, since it's my carry gun and she wants it for home defense.

Do not like the sights though. As soon as I find out XS has a Big Dot set for it those will go on.

I can see why the Italians have not had so much success in modern war, if their sights have been historically this bad.

Hmmm...I didn't think the PX4 sights were that bad. What don't you like? The only issue I've had is the hit-or-miss quality of the Superluminova coating. I prefer a thinner front side blade (more room on the sides when lined up) for faster/easier target acquisition. I consider the PX4's sight "acceptable", although it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was a little thinner.

I think I'm going to pick up a set of the new Trijicons in the near future.

Jim

Warren
September 24, 2006, 05:54 PM
The rear notch is larger than what I am used to. The front sight just swims around in there. My SIG is a little tighter in that regard. It may just be something to get used to .

Navy87Guy
September 24, 2006, 06:46 PM
The rear notch is larger than what I am used to. The front sight just swims around in there. My SIG is a little tighter in that regard. It may just be something to get used to .

Ahh...I see. That's exactly why I like the sight. I find that more room gives me a quicker target acquisition and line up. It's a personal preference...some people prefer the "tight" picture because it leaves less to chance.

I'd give it a chance...it may grow on you. If not, I'm sure there will be some more aftermarket sights out shortly!

Jim

Zero_DgZ
September 24, 2006, 10:34 PM
I love mine.

It's more accurate than I am, holds a boatload of ammo, and goes "bang" whenever I tell it to.

Oh, and it takes the same magazines as my CX4, now. Just to be cheeky.

If you enjoyed reading about "PX4 REVIEWS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!