Shot my first SIG. I'm in love.

PDA

blackbok
September 23, 2006, 07:38 PM
Shot my first SIG at the range last night. I was horrified at how much I loved it (my wallet was). I went to shoot my XD-9 and my HK USP 9, and decided to rent the SIG for fun. I was so accurate with that gun, I couldn't beleive it. It was effortless. I am unfamilliar with SIG, so bear with me. I was shooting a P228(?) the short barrel. I later tried the P226(?) non compact. That one blew. It was just a beaten gun. Double fed once, and shot super high. I went back to the short barrel and ruled. The only thing I did not like was the slide consistently did not lock on the last round. Thought it might be thumb placement on the decocker while shooting. Any remedy in different models?

Anyhow, anyone help me out with which one was the short barrel (226,228?). I went to SIG's site, and there are so many variations on these, I would be lost on what to get.

Anyone want to trade theirs for my stainless XD? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my first SIG. I'm in love." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SigfanUSAF
September 23, 2006, 07:58 PM
Short barrel could be a P228 or a P229. The 228 is 9mm only, and has the same slide contours as the 226. The 229 is available in 9mm, .40s&w, and .357 sig, and has slightly different contours at the rear of the slide. Slide lock problem, I ran into that on my first 220. It happened most of the time with either mag I had, so I figured that wasn't the problem. I stripped and inspected it, only to find the mag spring wear was excessive and the follower tabs were bent. Minor repairs to fix.

JaxNovice
September 23, 2006, 07:59 PM
I walked into the gun store this past tuesday and held a Sig p228 for the first time. Didnt even fire it just dry fired and held it. Got it on the spot and in my limited experience think it the finest handgun for me out there. Accurate and a great trigger pull. The only drawback is that I have developed an issue with OCD and clean it constantly since I love it so much.

rection47
September 23, 2006, 08:03 PM
I never was a fan of how the Sig looked...seems to like flashy and big, but thats just me, havent had the chance to fire one.

gnote
September 23, 2006, 08:59 PM
I never was a fan of how the Sig looked...seems to like flashy and big, but thats just me, havent had the chance to fire one.

I wasn't either but it does grow on you if you are not careful. Bought a Sig b/c of the trigger. The more I shot it, the more I began appreciating the way it looked.

I didn't think it looked flashy at first, I justthought it was ugly. Not anymore...

P95Carry
September 23, 2006, 09:10 PM
Ahhh - SIG's :)

I have and carry 226 ST 9mm but also have the 228 - and use that for IDPA mainly - which makes for good practice as it is same manual of arms as carry piece.

If I want to go up to .45acp then the 220 can take over. All three I regard as superb reliable guns and accurate too. I have CT's on them all.

The 226 of course can also be had in .357 SIG and .40 flavor.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/sig226-ct-393-s.jpg

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/sig228-ct-325-s.jpg

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/sig-220-ct-306-s.jpg

SigfanUSAF
September 23, 2006, 09:16 PM
P95, I just want you to know, I'll be dreaming about those three beauties tonight:rolleyes: Very, very nice!

SiG Lady
September 23, 2006, 09:38 PM
In a way, I regret not having my Sigs any longer (P-229/.40S&W, P-239/9mm) but the grip on the P239 was too short and the long trigger throw on both of them drove me absolutely nutz. The Sig is a handsome gun, low profile and makes a great duty gun. Very reliable and comfy to shoot. The frames are alloy, though, and I prefer a bit more weight than that.

I ended up repeatedly preferring a 1911 and so went in that direction. But now you know, however, where my username originally came from. I still get chills when I see photos of Sigs. They're nice guns. (Except for the trigger).:rolleyes:

P95Carry
September 23, 2006, 09:43 PM
SigFan - as long as you don't lose sleep ;)

SIG lady - I do know and appreciate the std trigger is not for everyone - tho some folks like to get the short stroke trigger mod done by SIG. I do find (and have found) that practice makes all the difference.

I am now when shooting IDPA getting almost same hit from first DA shot as subsequent and am barely aware of difference now. In early days my first shots were more wild and often high.

As I said tho - these triggers not for everyone, necessarily.

SiG Lady
September 23, 2006, 10:06 PM
Betcha anything I end up with another Sig in the collection someday--just because I like them. Would be strictly a luxury, but I did appreciate them immensely and love makes you do strange, expensive things. :D

SAG0282
September 23, 2006, 11:20 PM
Don't fight it! :)

I have SIG fever too.....my preference in defensive handguns.

SiG Lady
September 23, 2006, 11:27 PM
The Sig has a profound quality that's hard to put down. We'll see how the budget is at the end of 2007... gotta buy a whole new digital camera for the business AND rebuild the computer from scratch. Bucks. Lots of them. And after just buying two new 1911s, well, I'm watching the nickels and dimes. :D

Harry Paget Flashman
September 23, 2006, 11:31 PM
blackbok. The title of your post was "Shot my first SIG. I'm in love." If you were really bitten/smitten by the SIG bug you'd have said, "I'm in lust."

(P220 .45, P226 .357Sig, P226 9mm, P229 .40, P232 .380)(And somewhere a misplaced .357sig barrel for the P229 :( )

DogBonz
September 23, 2006, 11:44 PM
The first time that I fired the 229 I fell in love. I like the 229 better than the 228 because I think that machined slides are better that stamped. I know that most people like the 228 better, but that's my story, and i'm sticking to it:D

PO2Hammer
September 24, 2006, 03:06 AM
You (and your wallet) don't want to know how sweet my new 226 Navy model is.
Don't ever fire one.

gc70
September 24, 2006, 03:19 AM
Sigs are addictive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gc70/SigP23901.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gc70/SigP22802.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gc70/SigP226ST01.jpg

Skywarp
September 24, 2006, 03:39 AM
Poor thing,now your mind will be consumed by Siggy goodness.

Ala Dan
September 24, 2006, 09:02 AM
Greeting's All-

I own two, both of which are West German made and assembled; a .45
caliber P220A, and the 9m/m P228. Had a beautiful two-tone P226 that
was made in Germany, and a .40 caliber SIGARMS P229. Both of those,
are now gone; l didn't care for the European grip angle of the P226; and
the P229 proved to be top heavy, with its stainless steel slide.

Both, the P220A and the P228 had been retired from service at this present
time; but they are not for sale or trade. Since retirement, I have gone back
to the 1911 .45 ACP as a carry piece.

possum
September 24, 2006, 09:29 AM
Thought it might be thumb placement on the decocker while shooting. Any remedy in different models?

I bet that is it, just be mindful of that next time you shoot and make sure that is the problem, and if you catch it early enough you can stop before it becomes muscle memory, and becomes a habbit!

Anyone want to trade theirs for my stainless XD? oh my god!!!!!!! someone help this man save his soul!

I am glad that you enjoyed your sig shooting experience and wish you the best of luck in the search for the "mystery: sig that you did so well with. happy shooting!

Danny Creasy
September 24, 2006, 09:46 AM
I bought a P-226 back in the late 90s. My local club and shooting buddies were just beginning to convert over to IDPA from IPSC. I bought a Ted Blocker concealment rig for the big pistol and started shooting the local IDPA matches (North Alabama/Tennessee/Mississippi). Actually won my class some (until the good shooters all switched over from IPSC and started getting their game on). I shot in my first IDPA Nationals with the 226 (did well for me - finished the match - did not shoot any good guys - no malfunctions - learned alot - first time I ever saw any big time shooters). Several thousand rounds - all kinds of angles - handloads - factory ammo - fmjs - jhps. The gun only malfunctioned once and that was because I loaded a Pachmayer aftermarket magazine wrong at an indoor match in Huntsville (it would take a paragraph to explain that one - bad memory - uggh). But, it does ride high above the hand when shooting and that makes it have an almost revolver like recoil arc. I could always shoot better with a 1911 style pistol.

Tom Servo
September 24, 2006, 10:04 AM
I shot a Sig once. My friends pressured me to do it. Once I did, I was hooked. Now look what's happened:

http://lonelymachines.org/guns/p228_sc.jpg

http://lonelymachines.org/guns/p225_bulman.jpg

http://lonelymachines.org/guns/p245_highnoon.jpg

Don't let this happen to you. Get professional help. Think of the children!

(These pictures don't show the beater P220 w/~30,00 rounds or the P239 I recently traded off)

poortrader
September 24, 2006, 10:33 AM
Sigs are addictive. I've bought 2 this year, 226R and 225. Both were used and in great condition.

Navy87Guy
September 24, 2006, 03:32 PM
The only thing I did not like was the slide consistently did not lock on the last round. Thought it might be thumb placement on the decocker while shooting. Any remedy in different models?

That was the primary reason I got rid of my P228 -- it was nearly impossible for me to keep my thumb off the slide release. If you use a "thumbs forward" grip, and your hands are of decent size, then the lever is in exactly the wrong place.

Anyhow, anyone help me out with which one was the short barrel (226,228?). I went to SIG's site, and there are so many variations on these, I would be lost on what to get.

The P228 has been discontinued -- you can still find them around but Sig isn't producing them anymore and they aren't listed on the web site. The P229 is very similiar, with a forged instead of stamped slide. Size, weight and ergonomics are all pretty similar.

The only way around the controls issue is to move up to the P226, which is the full-sized version. Sounds like the one you tried was abused...normally Sigs are pretty reliable. I'd look around and see if you can find another one to try to get an honest comparison.

Jim

Wesker
September 24, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yea, I would trade my HK for this SIG here. Those wood grips make it look so classy.

outofbattery
September 24, 2006, 10:47 PM
Since everyone else is sharing pics of their SIG's.One of these years I'll get one of the 226's refinished but they've both earned their wear and tear and still shoot up a storm.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45352&stc=1&d=1159151927

SiG Lady
September 24, 2006, 10:57 PM
Gawd, look at all that sexy holster wear!!!!! Mmmmm...!! :D

muscles
September 24, 2006, 11:18 PM
i guess i better join in and say how much i love my first and only sig. its a p220r that i picked up like new as part of a trade. it is the most soft shooting 45 i own, and is very accurate. also for some reason, shooting with both eyes open seems easier with this pistol than my others. not sure why. im comparing it to my colt lw commander and my hk uspc 45. 400 rounds in my first 2 weekends of ownership, and i already cant wait to get out again!
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7639/sig220rig0.jpg

outofbattery
September 24, 2006, 11:36 PM
I just have to relate this: I was at the gunshop this weekend and a guy was buying his first handgun.He was asking about how well SIG's hold up,if it's possible the change the barrel when they get worn out and so on...The salesman was showing him used ( like bloody new!) P220/5/6/8/9's that fit his budget and he said he'd rather buy new so he knew the gun hadn't been abused.I just had to butt in and show him " hey,this is my 226 - I obviously trust it enough to trust my life with it and fully expect it to keep on working for the rest of my lifetime".You should've seen the look of " DEAR GOD,THAT THING STILL WORKS ?!?!?" on his face as apparently he hasn't seen too many seasoned firearms.He was looking at a new P232 in stainless and I told him I couldn't even guess as to how many rounds I have through my old alloy 230 that's just about old enough to vote and that if he managed to shoot the barrel out of his,he's a better man than I.He ended up taking it home.

Kestrel
September 25, 2006, 01:29 AM
Wesker,

What kind of wood are those grips made from?

Also, what caliber is that P239?

Looks good.

Thanks.

Dollar An Hour
September 25, 2006, 02:16 AM
I've wanted a Sig for about as long as I can remember - at least since I was a teenager and all I had was a Ruger MkII. Alas, I didn't have the funds then... Fast forward 20 years and after *almost* getting a Sig Pro 2009 a year ago, I finally got my first Sig last week - a P239 in .357 Sig.

I for one think Sigs are beautiful - especially the Nitron ones. My P239 is a pleasure to shoot, has that smooth Sig trigger, and feels like it was made for me.

I'm already thinking of my second Sig, maybe a P229 in 9mm. ;)

IndianaBoy
September 25, 2006, 04:16 AM
I'm already thinking of my second Sig, maybe a P229 in 9mm.

Why not just get a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel for that 229? Two guns in one, and cheaper than buying a new gun too.

Kestrel
September 25, 2006, 11:14 AM
Why not just get a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel for that 229? Two guns in one, and cheaper than buying a new gun too.

The 9mm version is lighter and better balanced. The .40/.357 version has a bulkier slide.

BrainOnSigs
September 25, 2006, 12:26 PM
What's not to love? :)

I like them in all flavors.......

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/6449842/85656581.jpg
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/6449842/85656560.jpg
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/6449842/85656538.jpg

blackbok
September 25, 2006, 09:57 PM
So would the p229 9mm be comparable to the p228 I shot? I found one slightly used for $599, is that a decent price?

P95Carry
September 25, 2006, 10:01 PM
Many regard the 229 as very close to the now out-of-production 228. I have not compared side by side but understand this to be the case. I like my 228 immensely.

If the price mentioned was for LNIB then maybe OK - I am not up on the street price for NIB - sounds a shade high but really not sure. Someone may better comment on that.

10-Ring
September 25, 2006, 10:11 PM
SIGs have a very rabid following & it looks like they've picked up another fan :D

blackbok
November 24, 2006, 06:56 PM
Well, after all of the talk and envy, I found a deal I couldn't pass up. I went and bout a *used* p225 (P6) German police SIG. 9mm, 2 mags (8 rd). I had 6 to chose from, got the one with minimal holster wear and no signs of rust. A couple of them had some good slide rust going. Hopefully mine will be trouble free.

One area I did have concern on is the front strap, a lot of the blueing was worn off. Now, never having had a blued gun (my XD is stainless, as is my Springer 1911, and my HK has the hostile environment finish) I don't know if there is something I can do to touch it up (well). Any tips?

I'll give a full report in 8 days when I pick it up.

*As a total side note, went out to Vegas this weekend and shot a full auto MP5. Good lord that feels good!

gc70
November 24, 2006, 07:16 PM
blackbok, 225 frames are anodized aluminum and are not blued.

RP86
November 24, 2006, 07:39 PM
I went to the range 2 weeks ago and rented all the 9mm they had. Hands down the Sig 226 is the most comfortable and accurate for me. I also rented G17 and Beretta 92F, but after firing they didn't appeal to me. My friend is a LEO for Maitland PD and they are issued Sig 226 .40cal. Although, I am fairly new to handguns I plan on buying a 226 as one of my first.

-Ryan

bearmgc
November 24, 2006, 09:10 PM
My Sig 229 has the short trigger, I swear it was made just for me. Yes, it is effortless getting good groups, and vies with my P99AS also in 40SW, for my favorite range shooter. I'm not crazy about the looks. I like the looks of the P99 better. But its darn close to perfect.

motorheadjohn
November 24, 2006, 09:37 PM
I bought my first handgun three months ago, a SiG P226R in .40s&w. This was also my first time shooting since the early 90s, and even then that was only a friend's rifles. SiGs were recommended by several people I know including a good friend who is a LEO who carries a P229 as his duty weapon.

The SiG has been great, no problems, and I have 1500 rounds through it now.

I took my CCW permit class weekend before last and on the shooting certification I scored the highest in the class of 7 (which included some long-time gun owners) 285 of 300 pts. Range practice works!

blackbok
November 24, 2006, 10:25 PM
So the annodized aluminum... I have some stuff called "aluminumn black", maybe I could give that a try?

allen268
November 25, 2006, 12:47 AM
Since were talking about Sigs here I have to show off my baby.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/allen268/229st.jpg

myusername
November 25, 2006, 03:04 AM
They are great guns. I have not bought my own yet. My dream carry gun would be a 239 in 10mm if they would/could make it. I've been wanting to get a Glock 29 to get 10mm but I am now leaning toward a 239 in .40 loaded with double tap Gold Dots.

51Cards
November 25, 2006, 09:35 AM
My 229 has become the standard by which I "judge" the rest of my iron pile!

I think a 239 will be next. (Of course, I plan on winning that one ...:D )

D-Man
November 25, 2006, 09:41 AM
I really like my P239, but since I don't CCW, I decided to 'move-up' to a P228 that I should get at the end of next week (a long wait!). Sure, it's slightly larger, but 13 round standard mags will be a lot more fun at the range.

Cousin Mike
November 25, 2006, 09:44 AM
A 239 is in my very near future as well. My P220 has been amazing. The Sig Pro doesn't get enough respect either, it's just as amazing a pistol as the P-series Sigs (with an even lighter trigger). Now all I need is a P245, a P226 (or three), a P228, P229 and a P225.

And maybe one of their 1911's. :D

51Cards
November 25, 2006, 12:47 PM
Lots of $$$, but the LaserMax (guide rod-type laser) turns my 229 into a raygun. :D

The Sig is so accurate and predictable, adding that dot seemed natural. (More natural than a headlight, say.)

From a "training" standpoint, it's great for shaking the shakes and eliminating flinches.

From a "targeting" standpoint, it's like sending messages by wire --- they just go straight there.

Too much money --- or I'd go for the XD/SC one, too! :D

So --- the Sig Dilemma: Buy more Sigs, or buy more anythingelse. :o

robctwo
November 26, 2006, 09:34 AM
Be very careful around Sigs. They will follow you home.

My first Sig is the 226 Stainless Stock. German assembled high end gun.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/robctwo/IMG_2127.jpg

Then I decided I NEEDED a .45, so bought the 220 ST. Mine came with the fiber optic sights and extended controls.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/robctwo/PICT1464.jpg

I consider them my "best" guns. Best shooting, best accuracy, best cleaning, best value.

Only drawback on the ST models is that they are heavy for carry. The weight is a plus at the range.

chaim
November 26, 2006, 03:16 PM
SIGs, hard to go wrong.

For years I did not think much of SIGs. Not that I shot them and disliked them, I didn't like the way they looked and with the price I just kind of figured they were overpriced. Then at the range one day a cop who was at the range practicing was using his 239 and we got to talking. I had my S&W 65LS with me and he had never shot .357mag so we switched off for a little bit. I decided I really liked his .40S&W SIG 239, and this was before I liked .40S&W.

After that, for a few years I wanted a SIG 239 in 9mm (I liked 9mm better than .40S&W for a long time, but I would have considered a .40 as well) but their other models didn't appeal to me.

Then a few months ago (I guess around 6 months now?) I had more money to spend on my next purchase than usual and decided that I would go for something nice. I was looking at a Kimber Pro Carry, BHP, SIG 239, a Kahr PM9 and maybe one or two other similar quality guns. Finally I narrowed it down to the first three above, but in the same case as the new (over $700 locally) SIG 239s was a CPO SIG 226 for under $600. I tried it and the trigger was incredible- one of the smoothest DA pulls I've tried and a sweet SA pull. So I did it, it wasn't on my list but I bought that SIG 226.

I love it. I love it so much that days later I bought a used .40S&W SIG 229 online (I didn't actually get it for a couple months though).

I love my 9mm 226 and my .40S&W 229. I definately plan on more SIGs. Probably a 220 or 220 Carry next, possibly in the SAS or ST versions. Of course, I still need that 239 I've wanted so long- that one will probably be in .40 (instead of 9mm) and almost definately the SAS version.

shooter71
November 27, 2006, 03:08 PM
first time i ever shot a sig ( i think it was a 226 not sure) it was a "range gun" and i thought..wow all the hype over this pos? ..then a guy let me shoot his P220 and it blew me away ..the first two shots were around 7oclock they guy said youre using too much finger , just use the tip..so i let the other rounds go..i saw two reg sized holes then one that was about 2in i asked him how many rounds he loaded since i didnt keep count..i was too excited..he said he loaded 6 rounds..well i was grinning from ear to ear to see i put the last 3 shots in a 2 in group..i cant shoot my xd40 half as good..so i every time i go shoot my gun i think about a sig now..darn that guy for being so nice :neener:

>>>chaim<<<

so you like the 229 40sw??..thats what ive been dreaming about since i shot that 220 even though i know its different calibers..how does it shoot? i have a springer xd40 and i just dont think the xd/glock style triggers are for me i seem to shoot guns with a reg style trigger better

blackbok
December 27, 2006, 12:21 AM
Well, thought I'd post a pic of my new fav. I am going back and forth on the finish. Although the wear is not too bad, I see all of these beautiful sigs with the nice clean look, and I'm a bit jealous! That import staamp on the left side kills me.
Anyhow, shoots like a dream. couldn't be happier. I do think I want to send it to Sig for the $99 special, + the night sights. I've tried calling Sig numerous times to find out details (on shipping) but the hold time is always massive. Do I need to go through an FFL?

Also, any reccomendations on where I should be looking for a re-finish?

I love my Sig.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my first SIG. I'm in love." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!