Guide rod replacement... How often?

PDA

possum
September 23, 2006, 08:47 PM
Well i have heard different things from different sources, and i know some makers say one thing, and others say another. depending on frame size, caliber, what the guide rod is made out of. i know these things play an important role in the answer, but as a general rule what is the recommended point to switch out guide rods? i thought i read some where that it was advised to replace kahr's at 5000rds maybe i am wrong,please correct me if so! the pistols i am asking for in particular is...

xd service model .40
kahr k40

any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Guide rod replacement... How often?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
September 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
Replace a guide rod? Considering what little it does unless it breaks (which should mean abuse or a defect) a guide rod should be durable enough to last the lifetime of the pistol.

possum
September 24, 2006, 01:53 AM
majic,
thanks!
yeah i think i will just keep doing what i have been and inspect them during cleanning and make sure they don't get damaged or break during use. if something does go wrong with it i am sure that i would be able to tell in the process of shooting it!

10-Ring
September 24, 2006, 02:31 AM
I'd replace'em as they break ;) Otherwise, forget about them & enjoy your guns! :D

Mulliga
September 24, 2006, 02:53 AM
Guide rods are usually fine. My CZ-75 guide rod is made of plastic, but I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through it and it's pretty much the same.

Recoil springs, on the other hand, obviously need to be replaced. Short barreled guns (say a Colt Officer's) are much harder on their recoil springs than full-size duty guns.

Your Kahr K40 was designed from the ground up to use a shorter barrel, however, so I'd only replace when you start noticing problems or erratic ejection in your pistol. The XD should last a good long time.

Hkmp5sd
September 24, 2006, 03:04 AM
A couple of my autoloaders are 30+ years old with many thousands of rounds through them and I've yet to break a guide rod. Not something you need to worry about. As Mulliga stated, them springs do wear out eventually.

Onmilo
September 24, 2006, 12:06 PM
I had the guide rod on one of my Glocks break and tried stainless steel guide rods for a while.
They were OK but made the guns shoot low, don't ask my why, I don't know.
Anyway I have since gone back to the factory rods.
I keep a few spare guide rod/spring assemblies on hand and will replace them about every three thousand rounds now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guide rod replacement... How often?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!