Deerhunter rifle

PDA

The Deer Hunter
September 24, 2006, 10:48 AM
I build a DeerHunter muzzleloader, by traditions firearms.

It says not to use anything else that patched balls, but i want to shoot sabot slugs for hunting. If i do shoot the sabot slugs what will happen?

If you enjoyed reading about "Deerhunter rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hossdaniels
September 24, 2006, 11:54 AM
my guess is that the accuracy would be poor, because of the different twist rates used in the barrels designed for sabots, i dont think it would explode, but dont blame me if it does.

Oldnamvet
September 24, 2006, 11:58 AM
Patched round ball works great on deer. Why insist on sabots?

The Deer Hunter
September 24, 2006, 09:06 PM
Well, i found out the hard way....that they work fine.

I insist on sabots because of accuracy.

Plink
September 24, 2006, 10:43 PM
If your barrel is rifled for patched round ball, accuracy won't be an issue. In fact, round balls generally outshoot sabots for accuracy anyway. I have yet to see a target competition won with a sabot. They're perfectly fine for hunting also. In fact, often a lot better than either sabots or lead conicals. Took me a while to realize that also.

NEW222
September 25, 2006, 01:40 AM
Got a Deerhunter in flintlock and it shoots conicals well. Loves the Lee REAL 250 grain bullets and moulds for it are $20 Cdn. Got the 320 also but have yet to shoot them due to a dislocated shoulder.

The Deer Hunter
September 25, 2006, 08:13 PM
Wow, i will have to check this out.

I am assuming that the Sabot outranges the ball though, maybe.

I am quite intriuged about fact that the patched ball is just as good as a sabot

Plink
September 26, 2006, 06:11 PM
The sabots do out range a round ball. Distance isn't a muzzleloaders strong point either way though. I've talked to a lot of hunters over the years that said they didn't have to start tracking wounded game until they switched to sabots. So I'm not sure the extra range is much of a tradeoff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deerhunter rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!