.22--Wolf Match Target at a reasonable price

PDA

dfaugh
September 24, 2006, 10:04 AM
Went to the gunshow yesterday, where I usually buy alot of various inexpensive types of ammo...Boy, some prices have gone up (7.62x39 has doubled, but I expected that)...But the one thing my buddy and I wanted most was some Wolf Match Target, as we've found that it shoot VERY accurately out of all our various (5) .22s. Got to the vendor that I've bought it from before and it was $36.99 a brick! Last time I bought it it was 16.99 a brick! So I passed on it.

Anyone have an online source where we can pick up a couple bricks, at a (hopefully much more) reasonable price?

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about ".22--Wolf Match Target at a reasonable price" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Selfdfenz
September 24, 2006, 10:27 AM
If you paid $17 a brick at any time in the past it must have been a loooong time ago. :)

Best deal on WMT is on the net in the $27 to $30-something range. Mind you many distributors have it and then are out for months then have it again etc. Sort of a PITA to forever be searching for the stuff.

Frankly when WMTwas $24 it was a ok. At $27 I started looking for alternatives and at $30, not sure I'm interested. Out of every 10 shots 2 are always off a tad. I expect more for a box of shells I paid 3 dollars for. WME is better but the groups are bigger. Go figure.

When they were still being manufactured I could get that or better out of Dynapoints at 1/2 the price at Wally World. It took a while but I basically tried a bunch of lower priced 22 ammo till I found a couple that work ok and now buy them by the case whichever is cheaper. None of the stuff Wal MArt sells these days runs all that well in my rifles.

I think the ammo price jumps we are seeing to akin to what we periodically see with gas prices. Good old price gouging.

Best

S-

oldfart
September 24, 2006, 01:09 PM
Just like everything else (except wages, of course) the price of ammo is going to keep going up. While the powder used in .22 ammo may not be the same as that in .223 or .308, powder manufacturers will make more for the military ammo and back off on recreational stuff. Consequently, the availability of .22 ammo will decrease as the demand for military stuff increases. Compound that with the increased cost of deisel fuel for the delivery trucks and you see a recipe for inflation.
It ain't gonna get better anytime soon either. Keep looking for sales and deals - buy what you can when you can and stock up for the future. Even if you don't think the future will require you to keep a loaded weapon at hand, it will definitely be more expensive to do anything, especially shoot.

atblis
September 24, 2006, 01:27 PM
MT shot more accurately with the occassional odd ball round
ME was less accurate but chronoed better
Dynapoints always shot well for me but are harder to find now.
The Wallyworld crap is well... crap.

hksw
September 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
Match Extra has always shot slightly better than Match Target for my guns. It's what I always buy. Did buy a couple bricks of MT to run through some new .22s I've purchased recently. $26.19/brick with a C&R at Midway (my regular source for Wolf .22 lr).

If you paid $17 a brick at any time in the past it must have been a loooong time ago.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, the cat's out of the bag for Wolf rimfire now. I didn't help matters when I gave away half a box of ME to a couple guys at the range last week. The groups they were getting impressed them so much they will now be buying it. I even told the one guy that some folks have been getting as good of results with slightly cheaper MT but he would hear any of it, it's ME for him from then on.

22-rimfire
September 24, 2006, 03:57 PM
The last bricks I bought were $35 cash at a gunshow. No postage that way. I am comfortable with that price and usually see it for a bit more now.

JohnBT
September 24, 2006, 06:56 PM
Where to get a deal on any of it now? I dunno. I keep an eye peeled for it and haven't seen any deals.

The first case or so I bought was $15 a brick. That's some good ammo, made back before they changed the powder they used. Then the price went up. I quit buying it at $18, but luckily I bought a lot. I've forgotten what the WME was, $22 to $27 IIRC. I wish I'd picked up an extra case of it though.

John

dfaugh
September 25, 2006, 09:23 AM
Ouch...Guess we'll have to "bite the bullet" (pun intended:D ) and pay the piper. One of the things we found, in our guns, besides it being very accurate, was that we got NO flyers (or misfires) from the Wolf MT. Winchester T-22 and Federal Classic "Gold Label" were quite accurate (and cheaper), but we always had some flyers, as well as the occasional misfire.

nitesite
September 25, 2006, 10:40 AM
You might try some of the SK Jagd ammo. Claimed to be very good stuff!

Here is where I last bought my Wolf Match Extra. I'm glad it was a while ago!

http://www.championshooters.com/start.html

Their Home page for ordering: www.championshooters.com

ocabj
September 25, 2006, 11:02 AM
The SoCal rates are $30 for MT and $40 for ME.

rchernandez
September 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
Champion Shooters has the WMT on sale for $230/case. Got 1 case just 3-months ago...missed the $215/case sale:(

Selfdfenz
September 25, 2006, 06:30 PM
The Wolf product is manufactured by SK Jagd. I went to the effort to buy some SK and unless the lubs are different it's the same as Wolf. SK seems to have a couple of extra tiers but I only tried the three types that Champions had priced equal to a Wolf product. Those Germans make pretty good 22 ammo and it sure has been "discovered".

I bought my first WMT at $22 a brick. The same sellers are close to $30 now and still climbing. That's close to 30% which seems kind of like windfall profits to this old boy. As some have attested it could be seen a doubling in price if you started buying the product at $16 a brick.

I'm in favor of capitalism but I press in the buying clutch when things seem to be getting a bit too pricey, too fast.

Not sure when or if we will see Dynapoints in the future. I understand Winchester moved their production to a different plant and things didn't go too well. Then again I got that info off the Net ....

S-

JohnBT
September 25, 2006, 09:42 PM
Most of the increase is due to the shift in the dollar to euro exchange rate (see chart.) And inflation. And the increase in the price of lead and brass. And the increase in shipping costs due to the rise in oil.

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/5y?usdeur=x

Selfdfenz
September 27, 2006, 08:29 AM
Good points and I'll buy dollar to euro explanation for WMT somewhat (even if your chart is about a flat average from 04 to present) but it seems pretty clear to me the prices for domestically produced ammo have/has gone up as well. Also, if exchange rate is part of the problem it must be country specific. I've gotten some great prices on Prvi lately. As good as or better than I got prior to the embargo.

Your comments have got me thinking all the same.
I'll be looking for those price cuts on Euro-bullets when the dollar bucks up against the euro and we can all expect price hike reversal now that oil is below 60.

:D:D:D

S-

(walks over and checks the temps in He-- on the Weather Channel:D )

langenc
September 27, 2006, 04:06 PM
I recently recieved a large mail order suppliers fall catalog. I started to discard the spring issue but hesitated. I then compared bullet prices for Nosler, Sierra, Speer and Hornady. I just picked 50 gr 224, 80 gr 243 and 165 gr 308s in the 100 pak from the 'big 4'.

Last spring it was stated that bullets would go up 6%.
My little study indicated the following price changes from spring to fall catalog

Sierra -right at 6%-- Nosler about 14% and if Ballistic tips are considered it was in the range of 30%!! Hornady and Speer were up about 12%.

Another interesting thing--the lightest bullets in 224 and 243 often cost more than somewhat heavier bullets?? WHY?

If you enjoyed reading about ".22--Wolf Match Target at a reasonable price" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!