browning HP?

PDA

lubbockdave
September 24, 2006, 11:39 AM
What would you look for if you were going to buy a BHP? would you look around and find a good older version? Or would you buy a new Practical BHP? I held a new stainless frame/black slide practical yesterday and kind of fell in love...but the week before I held an older model BHP and loved that one too! Can't spoil myself to the point of having both...

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "browning HP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marshall
September 24, 2006, 11:41 AM
I like the older ones but I like the new ones better. Besides, the Practical is a great looking Hi Power. :)

Geno
September 24, 2006, 11:58 AM
I have a newer model BHP, with the firing pin block. I would like to get an older model without the block. I have been given to understand that it adversely effects the trigger pull.

I have this very situation with my 1911s. I solved it by telling a story, so to speak, via what I have bought. While they are all new-production 1911s, they are representative of the majority of the span of production:

1911A1 (WWI reproduction)
1911A1 Series 70 reproduction)
1911A1 Warrior
Note, however, that I no longer have kept any series II style, nor even series 80 style in the 1911s. I prefer simplicity.

These are the major styles of 1911. All 1911s that I own or have owned fall into one of these previous 3 categories.

Doc2005

Arc-Lite
September 24, 2006, 12:28 PM
do yourself a favor, buy one, and then, buy the other....hardly anyone owns just one. The "T" models were made when craftsmanship was the focus, and this comes threw in the "feel" and "looks" as well as performance. The newer 9mm models have few equals, after shooting and living with a FNHP, you will be hooked.

kokapelli
September 24, 2006, 03:06 PM
Get a new one and for just a little over $300, you can also get a Charles Daly High Power.

Click on the picture for a review of the Chas Daly.
-
http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976706933-1.jpg (http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/hi_072604/)

Mizar
September 24, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hello Dave. The pin block in Mk III hi-powers does not have effect on trigger pull - disassemble the pistol, look at the pin block and you will understand why. On my Hi-power I removed the magasine disconect and polished the sear's primary angle - result is beautiful pistol with very good trigger..... I want more HP's!!!!!
I think, that today's Hi-powers are underprised for the quality they offer. If you get that Practical you wiil be verry happy. Go to Mr Camp's site - www.hipowersandhandguns.com - it is very informative.

P.S. Practical does not have a stainless frame - it's chromed.

Cliff47
September 24, 2006, 05:41 PM
Having a number of Hi-Powers (FN, FM, PJK-9HP, FP9, Inglis and Arcus) in my collection, I still lust for a T-series HP. I see them every so often at the gun shows, but you'd swear the price was near non-affordium. Such is life.

10-Ring
September 24, 2006, 09:47 PM
I saved a little $$ and lookd for a used practical...one of the older ones w/ the adjustable rear sight ;) Happy hunting :D

Dienekes
September 25, 2006, 01:33 AM
Not exactly an expert on BHPs but fired my first one in 1960 and have an Inglis and 1996 vintage Mk. III.

The older ones look nicer but in exchange for that may not feed JHPs as well, have much smaller safeties, and have inferior sights compared to newer pistols.

Today I would just go get one of the FN MK IIIs which addresses all those issues right out of the box. The stock grips aren't too bad either but I put on a set of Craig Spegel's delrins and made it uber-cool.

I like it almost as much as my 1911s, which is quite a lot.

If you enjoyed reading about "browning HP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!