Mossberg 500 Shell Tubular Spring

PDA

Cain1
September 24, 2006, 01:14 PM
I am not familiar with the correct name for the tube that holds the shell on my Mossberg 500 Defender, but it seem that it needs changing.**Has anyone done this before?**

I just wrote a email to Mossberg and hope to get a response soon.**But hoping someone in the board could give me some useful information.

I keep it with 6 shell while at home next to my bed and I purchased it used.**When I cycle the 6 rounds thru the shotgun the last round doesn't seem to have enough spring action to chamber it.**So I have to wiggle the shotgun a little and help the round chamber itself.**

I haven't done enough research to know if this is doable or not?**If anyone has any information, it would greatly be appreciated.**If not, more of a reason to purchase another one.

C

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 Shell Tubular Spring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SigfanUSAF
September 24, 2006, 01:26 PM
Sounds like a weak mag spring? Is the tube damaged? The Mossy tubes screw into the reciever. Field strip, and with some minor force, the tube should screw loose, though you may need a soft jawwed vise and a strap wrench.

Cain1
September 24, 2006, 01:38 PM
Tube is not damage, but the spring seem to need changing. I'll try to see if I can loosen the tube myself, hopefully I don't need vise grips since I don't want to scrat it. Hopefully the local gunsmith has this tool.

C

SigfanUSAF
September 24, 2006, 01:51 PM
A strap wrench should be available at any local auto parts store.

wdlsguy
September 24, 2006, 05:34 PM
I think this (http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=800100-02B) is all you need.

SigfanUSAF
September 24, 2006, 05:40 PM
Very true, if the tube is undamaged, there is certainly no need to remove it. Pop out the spring retainer and replace the spring.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 Shell Tubular Spring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!