Disassembling Pietta 1858

PDA

JediJJJ
September 24, 2006, 06:25 PM
I took my 1858 .44 (brass) to the range for the second time a few days ago. I decided to give it a good cleaning this time and started to disassemble it. I was stymied right from the beginning because I couldn't get the grips off. I removed the screw that held the two grips together and then removed the screw from the front of the grip. It felt like the grips were loose but I could not get them off. Didn't want to start prying on them and mess them up so I didn't continue. Was I being overly cautious or is there something else I need to know?

Thanx

If you enjoyed reading about "Disassembling Pietta 1858" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokin_Gun
September 24, 2006, 10:33 PM
The grips are usally fit to each gun and just a good tight fit. Stick the grips screw just in the nonthreaded side and kinda pry/wiggle the grip out with the screw, then push the other side out with your finger.

Old Fuff
September 24, 2006, 10:44 PM
Use the search feature in the Blackpowder Shooting forum with the key words, "1858" and "disassembly." Somewhere there is a thread with detailed instructions.

Note: The screw in the bottom of the frontstrap has nothing too do with the grips. It tensions the mainspring.

Plastic Cowboy
September 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
I have a Pietta 58 and the grips do fit nice and snug. I can pry them off with my fingernails though. It takes some wiggling but they should come off without any heroic effort. The guns grip frame has a couple of pins that fit into small holes on the inside of the wood grips.....thats why they fit nice and tight.

If you must use a tool to pry them off try be careful not to scratch your baby:o

Before you put the the wood grips back on try smearing the insides of them with olive or vegetable oil. This will keep the wood soft so they are easier to get off and will also prevent them from drying out and cracking.

JediJJJ
September 25, 2006, 07:07 PM
Thanx for the info. I'll search for that thread.

Old Fuff
September 26, 2006, 01:55 AM
I looked and didn't find it, so it looks like I'll have too do it again. :(

Maybe this time someone will make stickie. ;)

AmbulanceDriver
September 26, 2006, 02:31 AM
Fuff, here's the thread where you describe the 1858 disassembly.....

Thanks again!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=210028

Old Fuff
September 26, 2006, 03:11 AM
Great! You found it when I couldn't.

Now I'm going to start a new thread with it, and hope that a Mod. makes it into a stickie.

pohill
September 26, 2006, 12:45 PM
For what it's worth...
I read somewhere that if you scratch a mainspring you will produce a weakspot and significantly reduce its life expectancy. Something to keep in mind...

JediJJJ
September 26, 2006, 09:53 PM
I am amazed at the information you can find here in a short period of time. Thanx to everyone for their responses. Saw that the 1858 disassembly was made a sticky. Now if it only included the pictures from the original.

Old Fuff
September 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
Now if it only included the pictures from the original.

I'll get to that... ;)

Wwalstrom
September 28, 2006, 12:14 PM
Better check it again!

Plastic Cowboy
September 28, 2006, 01:14 PM
Took my Remmie completely apart last night and put it back together after cleaning and oiling every single part...took about 3 hours due to my being anal about it.

Its much easier than my Walker Colt....I still can't get the big main spring back in that damn thing so it sits on my work bench in pieces!!:cuss:

Tommygunn
September 28, 2006, 03:45 PM
Its much easier than my Walker Colt....I still can't get the big main spring back in that damn thing so it sits on my work bench in pieces!!

Go to the hardware store and buy a "C" clamp. Use this on the spring. Use a small piece of leather, or layers of cloth --something between the C clamp and brass trigger guard so it doesn't mar the brass.
That's what I do.

pohill
September 28, 2006, 05:18 PM
http://i10.tinypic.com/4gq679g.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Disassembling Pietta 1858" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!