Giving inexpensive 9mm as a gift

PDA

Riktoven
September 24, 2006, 07:52 PM
two questions rolled into one here.

I want to give an unarmed buddy of mine a pistol for Christmas.

It needs to pull double duty as home defense and plinking (9mm), and it needs to cost me less than $300, preferably ~$200. I realize that limits the heck out of my options, but I know there are bargains out there. Any suggestions on makes and models are welcome. I'd also like suggestions on where to sniff out some bargains locally (I'm in between Ann Arbor and Brighton, MI and don't want to drive more than 90 minutes to "shop"...even for guns).

Second question, what is legally required of the gift giver and reciever to legally give a handgun as a gift in Michigan? Gift reciever can legally own a handgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Giving inexpensive 9mm as a gift" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shrike360
September 24, 2006, 08:02 PM
Look through CDNN catalog. There are used Ruger KP95DC's in there for about $240 in very good to excellent conditions. After paying shipping and transfers, you'll land about $275. Definetly look at Rugers. Also there is a Beretta 1951 in there, too, for about $160.

Jackal
September 24, 2006, 08:05 PM
Also consider a CZ-52 in 7.62 tokerev. The surplus ammo is cheap, and there is now very good hollow point ammo available. It's a whole lot of handgun for about $150.00. EDIT: In fact, i have 1 for sale on the buy/sell page:D .

hexidismal
September 24, 2006, 08:06 PM
I dont know what you could really get at that price, other than maybe a hi-point, And you don't want to give your friend a hi-point.. I might get flamed by some for saying this .. but I wouldn't give a friend a hi-point pot metal 9mm pistol.. I might give one to an enemy.:D

WYO
September 24, 2006, 08:14 PM
A Kel Tec P11 should meet your criteria.

Pilot
September 24, 2006, 08:14 PM
Not a 9X19, but still 9MM (well the Russian size) is the Makarov. Bulgies can still be found around or slightly under $200.

critter
September 24, 2006, 08:17 PM
Star BM 9mm's. SOLID kinda like a shrunken 1911 w/o a grip safety. All steel. Mine is no tack driver, but is 100% reliable. Can be had for $150-$200.

Riktoven
September 24, 2006, 08:24 PM
I like the Ruger suggestion best so far...rock solid and hi capacity.

The Star BM suggestion isn't bad, Ive never seen one before but it reminded me that Bersa is still around.

Maks are great, but he's not a 'gun guy', so Walmart needs to stock the ammo.

I appreciate all the quick feedback...I posted this like 10 minutes ago.

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
September 24, 2006, 08:35 PM
Star BM would be at the top of my list, followed by a Ruger P89/P85, or a EAA
tanfoglio pistol which can be had at places like cdnn for under $250, new I think....

Helstrm
September 24, 2006, 08:36 PM
You can also find a Tokarev if you keep your eyes open chambered in 9mm for under $200, I found one at a local shop for $125 and it has never had a failure. your best bet may be a gun show.

CAnnoneer
September 24, 2006, 09:34 PM
Used Ruger P series, e.g. KP89. "Used" is not an issue - any problems will be fixed by Ruger free of charge (they even cover shipping).

Don't buy him something that has no customer support, requires surplus ammo, is not stainless, is kickier than 9mm.

wuchak
September 24, 2006, 09:46 PM
First I have to say your a great friend. I can't even get my wife to buy me a pistol for Christmas.

Have you considered starting him out with a .357 revolver instead of a 9mm pistol?

I suggest that you take your buddy along on the shopping trip. Tell him your buying one for yourself and would enjoy his company on the ride. Once you have him in the store you can see what he's drawn to and ask him his opinion on how they feel to him since your having trouble deciding which is most comfortable.

hexidismal
September 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
he's not a 'gun guy'

That got me to thinking, maybe it doesn't need to do double duty after all. Maybe consider buying him a .22 pistol. That would certainly fit your price requirement ( Got my 6" Neos for 189.99 ) , and maybe the affordability of ammunition and ease of use would bring him from being "not a gun guy" into being a gun guy.. then he can choose for himself later on what he is comfortable with for his personal defense. Good plan , huh ?

Abby
September 24, 2006, 10:22 PM
It can be done...

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7618771&aa=%20%20EAA%20Witness%209mm%20wonder%20finish

I have a compact 9mm Witness, all steel, blued. Think I paid like $275 new for it about five years ago. Great little pistol. I dunno about under 200, but you can get there under 300.

And, for a cheap(er) handgun, you'll find a lot of people with only good things to say about them.

MatthewVanitas
September 24, 2006, 10:27 PM
I'm with hexidismal: if someone is really not that much into shooting, and not interested enough in his own self-defense to buy a gun (assuming your friend isn't totally destitute), I'd stick with awakening his inner shooter for now.

Used Ruger MkIIs can be had around 200, and the S&W 22a and Beretta Neos can be had for under $200 NIB. I don't know the Neos, but the S&W 22a at our campus pistol range just keeps chugging alone with no cleaning, despite getting several hundred rounds of cheap .22LR shot through it per day from clumsy freshmen.

Buy a .22, and if he shoots that enough, he'll want to spend real cash on his own fighting gun. Plus $200 buys you a much better .22 than a 9mm. And in a worst case scenario, 10 rounds of .22LR with another 10rd reload is way better than a sharp stick.

-MV

anthillsinrome
September 25, 2006, 01:44 AM
There are numerous gun stores in Howell you could check out for starters...(http://www.taurususa.com/findDealer/index.cfm) and go to the 4th or 5th page. (Note I'm not necessarily recommending a Taurus, but their dealer page has a good break-down of area gun shops.)

But ultimately I would recommend a Keltec P11. Great guns, very tweakable and simply to use, very reliable (www.ktog.org). Try one of the stores in Howell or go to Gander Mountain in Lansing or Novi

Novi: http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/storedetail.asp_Q_store_id_E_74

Lansing:
http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/storedetail.asp_Q_store_id_E_15

GTKrockeTT
September 25, 2006, 02:17 AM
for the specified price range...makarov, everyday of the week, and 2X on sunday.

If you enjoyed reading about "Giving inexpensive 9mm as a gift" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!