Should we contact only members of the House, or is the Senate fair game too?

PDA

Justin
May 13, 2003, 03:42 PM
I've written two letters and made a phone call to the member of the House of Representatives for my area. Would it be worth my time to contact the senators too?
My understanding is that the senate really can't pass the AW ban back into law unless the house approves it first. Is that correct?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should we contact only members of the House, or is the Senate fair game too?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AmericanFreeBird
May 13, 2003, 04:06 PM
Well, IMHO, the House will probably kill this in committee so write your Reps. The Senate will probably bring this to a vote on the floor and hopefully kill it there but I would write both Reps and Sens because all we need is one of them to kill this ban.

Russ
May 13, 2003, 04:49 PM
Write them all. I think the RINO's in the Senate will make this pass there. Arlen Specter and Lincloln Chaffee would be afraid an evil AW might put a run in their panty hose. I don't think it will ever go to the floor of the House.

Shaggy
May 13, 2003, 04:52 PM
My understanding is that the senate really can't pass the AW ban back into law unless the house approves it first. Is that correct?

Not true. There has been a bill introduced into the Senate as well. You need to write you two Senators, your Rep in the US House and send a letter to the White House.

Both bodies, Senate and House, can pass legislation independently. But before it goes to the President they do a reconciliation. In other words, if the two bills differ, the combine them more or less into one bill that both can agree on then pass that version. It better never get that far. It will be to late then because at that point it will be almost certain some type of ban will land on Bush's desk. That ain't good for us.

Standing Wolf
May 13, 2003, 06:36 PM
Write them all on any and every firearms-related issue.

El Tejon
May 13, 2003, 07:02 PM
Justin, Shaggy's right. You're thinking of budgets or tax bills maybe?

In addition to hand-written letters to Representatives and Senators, I have written the RNC, the Senate and Congressional election committees assuring them of a lack of my "support" unless their candidates come out against renewal. I urge my fellow THRs to join me. Money is life in politics (just stating a fact, not saying it ugly).

WilderBill
May 13, 2003, 08:35 PM
Definately write all yer congresscritters.
An extra note to Tom DeLay would be good, too.
He might not be your rep, but in the sense that he controls the house committee that the AWB has to get through, he does represent all of us. He might appreciate the encouragement.;)

general
May 15, 2003, 04:53 PM
I went ahead and wrote everone on this list at awbansunset.com (http://www.awbansunset.com/writeofficials.html)
I have all the addresses if anyone needs them - just PM or e.mail me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should we contact only members of the House, or is the Senate fair game too?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!