Range doesn't allow shotguns

PDA

Panthera Tigris
September 24, 2006, 10:39 PM
I've never fired a shotgun in my life. I've considered a shotgun for home defense, but there literally is no place around for me to practice. I don't have anywhere outdoors, and the indoor range close to me doesn't allow shotguns. So how would I learn to use one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Range doesn't allow shotguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IDriveB5
September 24, 2006, 10:41 PM
Where are you located?

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/

Panthera Tigris
September 24, 2006, 10:44 PM
I checked the site and it appears there are some sporting clubs nearby, but I am not really interested in shooting clays or trap.

dfariswheel
September 25, 2006, 12:04 AM
Many shotgun sporting clubs have a patterning range.
This is a range where you test fire the gun, and where you can shoot at a target board to see what type of pattern your gun/load is shooting.

You can practice with your gun on these ranges.
I'd at least contact the clubs near you to see what they have.

Also, check around for any other shooting ranges in your area.

Panthera Tigris
September 25, 2006, 12:34 AM
I've found an outdoor range that allows shotguns. I just have to clean up the mess afterward.

I'm leaning toward a 20 guage, because I'm not sure I can handle the recoil of a 12 guage. I used to shoot a .54 cal muzzleloader, but that was 20 years ago.

Oldnamvet
September 25, 2006, 08:22 AM
For those who don't use them, much is made of the recoil from shotguns. Unless you have specific medical disabilities, it should not be an issue. The current recoil pads that can be attached are very good. If you use a semi-auto, even more of the recoil is soaked up. We have 90lb older women and young people easily shooting 12 gauge for trap and skeet.

Dave McCracken
September 25, 2006, 09:50 AM
I know 120 lb women who outshoot me and other Manly Men, The keys are good form, proper fit and load selection.

The advantage to shooting clays for a "Practical" shotgunner is use begets proficiency and the clay games use up lots of ammo. Also, if one can obliterate a 4" disc moving at up to 100 MPH and then do it again with a second disc moving at a different speed and vector, one can hit larger,slower things with ease. Even mutant ninja Zombies.

And it's fun, another factor in increasing usage.

20 gauges oft recoil more than 12s. It's a matter of weight and load. A recent impromptu student found a Beretta 12 gauge o/u with my 7/8 oz loads a lot easier to handle despite a too long stock than a 391 20 gauge with Reducel Length stock with 7/8 oz loads.

The 20 ga YE 870 here is the hardest kicker of the lot.

IDriveB5
September 25, 2006, 10:37 AM
but I am not really interested in shooting clays or trap.

Thats too bad, you can really learn a lot about shooting shotguns. The skills you learn here are not only applicable to shootings flying round discs of clay...

Zero_DgZ
September 25, 2006, 01:02 PM
I'm leaning toward a 20 guage, because I'm not sure I can handle the recoil of a 12 guage. I used to shoot a .54 cal muzzleloader, but that was 20 years ago.

Get the 12 guage!

I had a friend who was in a similar boat as you. He kept arguing that the 20 would have less recoil, all that jazz.

Well, turns out the difference in kick between the 12 and the 20 with HD-ish loads (buckshot, slugs, large shot) is miniscule. For his trouble he pays twice as much for ammo as I do with my 12's, can't mooch ammo off me, and can't throw as many pellets of buckshot at one time. And slugs for his gun are bloody impossible to find.

He's looking for someone to sell the 20 to so he can buy a 12. Food for thought.

nico
September 25, 2006, 01:14 PM
My first and only shotgun is a 12 gauge Winchester SX2 and I've never had a major problem with recoil. I shoot trap with 1 1/8oz of #8 or 7 1/2 shot.

The one time I shot a 20 gauge, it was a Beretta 391 range gun that I had rented for my girlfriend at the time. It was her first time shooting a shotgun and she was surprised that the recoil wasn't a problem. After she had shot a few rounds, I tried the gun to see what it was like. I couldn't believe how much sharper the recoil was than with my gun, and this was with 7/8oz shells. Both guns are gas operated and are touted as being soft shooting. My gun, however, is probably around 8lbs while the Beretta was only about 6.5. I still can't believe how much of a difference that extra 1.5lbs made.

I can see how the 20 gauge would be nice if I was carrying it all day upland bird hunting, but I'd take the 12 gauge any day for just about any other uses. If recoil is an issue, a 12 gauge with 7/8oz shells will have lighter recoil than a 20 gauge with 7/8oz shells and any modern semi-auto should cycle just fine with loads that light.

boxcab
September 25, 2006, 08:28 PM
Dave knows of what he speaks! (Hi Dave, its been awhile!)

Going back to basic Newtonian physics... equal and opposite forces, et al.

1 oz of lead shot being accelerated to 1000 fps will have the same amount of recoil, most every time. There are small variations do to column sizes, i.e. a 20 gauge column will have a smaller diameter and will be longer then a 12 gauge.

Generally a 12 gauge shotgun will be heavier then a 20 gauge, so it provides more mass to absorb the recoil. So... I find that the recoil is about a wash.

Now, the 20 may be easier to handle because of it's lighter weight.

The best way to tell is to go try some out, but remember to compare equal loads to reduce the variables as much as possible.

Too much thinkin' for a Monday evening.

Enjoy,

Boxcab

Panthera Tigris
September 25, 2006, 08:52 PM
I ended up with a Mossberg 590A-1 12 guage. And, once I've fired it a few times, I might decide to get into clay or trap shooting. It's starting to sound like it would be fun now! :evil:

Dave McCracken
September 25, 2006, 09:35 PM
Panthera, a couple of the respondents on this thread were introduced to clays by me or mentored. Also, turning small clay discs into molecules is great fun and good training.

Nico does Practical shooting but likes busting clays too. It's not an either/or choice.

B5 had some form issues I helped correct.

Boxcab, good to see you back. Still using your buckets. When you coming out again?

nico
September 25, 2006, 10:01 PM
Actually Dave, I haven't had the opportunity to do any practical shooting, although it's high on my list of "shooting sports I want to try if I ever get done with school." :)

That being said, I don't see how shooting clays could be anything but beneficial for a person's shotgunning ability in a self-defense situation.

Panthera Tigris
September 26, 2006, 05:01 AM
I think there is at least one place that is specifically a clay/trap range less than an hour from me. It's going to be about a month before I can try the 590 out, but I'm anxious to give it a try.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range doesn't allow shotguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!