Mini-Maglite Tough Enough as Weaponlight?

PDA

anotherinkling
September 25, 2006, 12:05 PM
Is the Mini-Mag tough enough for use as a shotgun weaponlight?

I've seen brackets, pressure pads, etc. that seem to allow easy use of this handy little flashlight, but I'm wondering how well it would stand up to repeated shotgun use. I'm not LEO, so it's not going to be riding around in my trunk; it's strictly for HD purposes.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mini-Maglite Tough Enough as Weaponlight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bruce333
September 25, 2006, 01:22 PM
IMO I don't think the bulb would last past the first shot. They bought us some at work and we were always having to replace the bulbs (either from dropping the light or burning out quickly). Although they do make an LED version now, and LED conversions are available.

carterbeauford
October 1, 2006, 06:07 PM
I'd be more worried about it not being bright enough...

one bright light that has proven reliable through hundreds of rounds of 00 buck is my Surefire 6P.

eab
October 1, 2006, 08:42 PM
Would it stand up, good chance of it. Be for everybod had surefire lights I remeber seeing adapters for minimag lights. Is it bright enough, well its not as bright as a surefire thats for sure. For $20.00 more you can get a Surfire G2 that you probaly could rig to work just as easy as a minimag and be a heck of a lot brighter.

Jeff White
October 2, 2006, 01:12 AM
A Mini-Maglight is useful for a lot of things, but not as a weapon light. Most good weaponlights are much brighter and have shock isolated lamp assemblies and even ribs on the inside of the tube to keep the batteries from moving under recoil.

Buy a SureFire. You'll only be disappointed in the mini maglight in that role.

Jeff

OEF_VET
October 3, 2006, 05:56 PM
+1 to everything my brother Jeff said. I've tried using a Mini-Mag as a weapons light, and it doesn't work. You'd be much better off with a Surefire, Pentagon, or Streamlight.

(My personal vote goes to Surefire, and not because I sell them; I sell them because my personal choice is Surefire!)

Shipwreck
October 3, 2006, 09:58 PM
I had a WInchester 1300 w/ an 18 inch barrel and a folding stock. I ordered a rifle mount that would work with a mini maglight. Also ordered a pressure switch that worked on a mini maglight (I bought this in the 1990s - I think it was from Cheaper than Dirt). Anyway - I had it on that shotgun for years. Never a problem with it breaking.

Worked good enough for what it was for - quickly ID'ing something indoors before U fired.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mini-Maglite Tough Enough as Weaponlight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!