Best .22lr round for personal defense

PDA

DRMMR02
September 25, 2006, 02:10 PM
I know, I know, the first rule about using .22lr for defense is: don't.

But let's play hypothetical, let's imagine a .22 caliber pistol/revolver is the only thing you have on hand(no rifles either), and you're being attacked. What round/brand do you use and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22lr round for personal defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
September 25, 2006, 02:14 PM
I carry federal lightening in my NAA mini because it's accurate and hits point of aim. I have no other criteria for .22 lr since to be really effective, I have to shoot for the eyes. Fortunately, there's normally a .38 or a 9mm in my pants pocket that I call a primary. I just carry the little .22 because it's fun and easy to tote and, besides, I might get accosted by a mouse, you never know.:neener:

C-grunt
September 25, 2006, 04:51 PM
I dont really ever carry my Walther P22, though I did when It was my only pistol available, but I keep a mag loaded with CCI Stingers. I chose them because they were reliable and had more power than the Federal Bulk Pack. Also, if they are close enough, the fireball that comes out the front with the CCIs might burn the bad guy a little too,:D

Phenom
September 25, 2006, 09:02 PM
How about filling HP 22lrs with mercury or some other poisonous element:D

lycanthrope
September 25, 2006, 09:22 PM
I'd choose one of the hotter 40gr loads like the Velocitors.

Jim Watson
September 25, 2006, 09:25 PM
It isn't fast acting and it isn't legal.

When I have carried a .22 for self defense it has been with high velocity solids. There is not enough energy to expand a hollowpoint and penetrate to the vitals, both.

They call .22s and .25s, maybe .32s too, "face guns" because the best technique is to shoot for the face and hope a little bullet will go up the nose, through the eye, or penetrate a sinus into the brain. You are shooting to kill with a smallbore for self defense, there is no stopping power at center of mass as for a medium or large caliber.

XLMiguel
September 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
Velocitors +1

Consider the front sight a hook for snagging the nostril, ear canal, or belly button. Squeeze trigger three times, repeat as necessary or until empty.

george29
September 25, 2006, 10:52 PM
NAA mag with snakeshot as backup to my .44 Bulldog

JohnKSa
September 25, 2006, 11:47 PM
Whatever load is most reliable in your firearm.

No, I'm NOT skirting the question, I think that's the best answer I can possibly give.

borrowedtime69
September 26, 2006, 02:05 AM
CCI Velocitors +2. 40 grain semi-hollow point. out of a 5.5 inch auto pistol barrel its going about 1,100 fps at the muzzle, maybe 1,000 fps at 20 ft. the semi HP will hold together after penetration there-by transfering more energy to the body than the light Stingers or the very frangible quickshocks.

another good point is that CCI ammo is the most reliable primer ignition on the market.
thats my 2 cents, good luck -Eric

Pilot
September 26, 2006, 10:00 AM
I carry CCI Minimags in my Beretta 21A as a BUG.

Onmilo
September 26, 2006, 10:07 AM
I am a big fan of solid High velocity bullets in .22s used for defense.
I second the CCI MiniMags as being one of the better choices.

Hollowpoints sometimes break up and don't penetrate deeply enough to inflict a lethal wound.
Most of the failure reports one will hear about .22LR verses human involve hollowpoint bullets that did not penetrate deeply enough to inflict any real damage.

Ask anyone who has torn their shin open on a metal table edge about how mad a surface wound can make someone.

Ask anyone who has had an object puncture wound how interested they were in doing anything but seeking medical help and I believe to will understand.

Dave Markowitz
September 27, 2006, 12:02 PM
If I was stuck using a .22 for defense my first choice in ammo would be CCI Mini Mag solids, assuming they functioned well in my gun.

Shrike360
September 27, 2006, 12:14 PM
Those Aquila bullets are pretty hot. I saw some 20 grains the other day at about 1700 fps.

foghornl
September 27, 2006, 12:17 PM
CCI Singers or Velocitors, depending on what functions the best.

Now, if I have the .22Mag cylinder in my Single-Six, I have some CCI .22Mags that have the famous gold-dot bullet....

dragongoddess
September 27, 2006, 12:21 PM
What abot shooting for the foot.

Shawn Dodson
September 27, 2006, 12:46 PM
I'd prefer a 3" S&W 317 loaded with CCI Velocitors.

Velocitors are the fastest .22 LR 40gr HP. The velocity increases expansion reliability, and the heavier 40gr weight means more momentum for better penetration.

See: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=18&prod_id=14

roscoe
September 27, 2006, 01:18 PM
I am going to go against the grain and say Aguila 60-grain Sub Sonic Sniper ammo. Those things really penetrate. When I used a phone book as a penetration test, they far outpenetrated any .22lr round, including the 'hypervelocity' rounds, and actually matched the .22 magnum. This is out of a 5" pistol, so barrel length may have played a part.

They have a real rainbow arc at distance, but close-up they puch right through.

Plastic Cowboy
September 27, 2006, 04:33 PM
While a .22lr is generally not appropriate for self defense, if you were to rapidly dump a half clip of CCI Stingers into some bad guys chest-- he will be in SERIOUS trouble!!!:what:

Stinger hollow points are one of the highest velocity and most powerfull .22lr rounds commonly available-- that's why they cost more.

Desk Jockey
September 27, 2006, 05:15 PM
I'd say any brand that you can buy in a brick. Use the brick as your weapon.

Gord
September 27, 2006, 05:38 PM
.22 might expand, but .25 doesn't contract! :neener:

MachIVshooter
September 27, 2006, 05:49 PM
If I had to choose, CCI mini-mag HP's. While the Stingers, Vipers and other hyper-velocity .22's do boast a significant increase in velocity, they do this in RIFLES by using slower powders. They gain nothing in handguns, and in some cases actually loose perfomance from short barrels. In my own testing, fired from barrels under 6", the mini-mags actually produced more energy than the Stingers. Also, the stingers use a longer case and are pushing the limits of .22 LR COAL; they don't function well in some autoloaders. Also, the CCI mini-mags have proved to be more reliable than most other .22 LR ammo in my experience. They cost 3 times what most other .22 LR does, and I believe this to be the result of better components and better CQ. I don't recall ever having a dud with CCI premium rimfire ammo.

before I got my P3AT, I carried my NAA mini revolver form time to time. I always had it stoked with Mini-Mags.

dogtown tom
September 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
Phenom: How about filling HP 22lrs with mercury or some other poisonous element :)

My current carry round is hollow points stuffed with tainted spinach.:D

sixgunner455
September 27, 2006, 10:09 PM
Somebody said they carry a .22 loaded with shot cartridges? I wouldn't do that if I were intending to use them on anything bigger than a mouse. I shot a quail my Brittany grabbed on the ground and wing-broke. It didn't kill the poor thing. Not even close. Ran away. Dog had to catch it again. Still alive when she gave it to me. When I cleaned it, I discovered that the pellets had barely penetrated the skin through the feathers. Little useless grains of sand.

The only thing I use .22 shot cartridges for is noise training for a dog.

I used to have only one gun, a Ruger MKII Standard Auto. I kept it loaded with Winchester Wildcats because they penetrated better than any hollowpoint I had tried, and were very accurate. Nowadays, when I carry that gun for hunting, I usually have Stingers or Federal HV hollowpoints in it. In a defensive situation, I don't think it makes that much difference. As long as it functions, it will be about as effective or not as anything else in the caliber.

Except for those shot cartridges. Shoot a rabbit or a quail with one sometime, if you really want to know for yourself how useless they are.

Onmilo
September 28, 2006, 10:57 AM
Any brand you can buy in a brick.
Use the brick as your weapon.

I like that!:D

Plastic Cowboy
September 28, 2006, 02:40 PM
Remember- if you use mecury or posioned bullets you need to ask the bad guy to wait patiently while the chemical takes effect---he probably won't mind if you ask politely!!:scrutiny:

mjb
September 28, 2006, 05:50 PM
Remington Yellow Jackets from my Colt trooper Mk III

geekWithA.45
September 28, 2006, 11:52 PM
Remember- if you use mecury or posioned bullets you need to ask the bad guy to wait patiently while the chemical takes effect---he probably won't mind if you ask politely!!

This will give the DA plenty of time to arrive and start taking notes.

Poison bullets = bad jury ju ju.

vta33
September 29, 2006, 05:03 PM
I second the motion on Remington Yellow Jackets. 1,500fps and they emit a distinctive crack when fired. They're accurate in both my Ruger Mark III 22/45 and Ruger 10/22. Not a single jam after thousands of rounds fired.

The_Antibubba
October 2, 2006, 12:52 AM
I have to second the Aguila 60 grainers. They feed really well through my Mk I.

Plink
October 2, 2006, 05:18 PM
My first suggestion would be don't go for the hypervelocity loads. They're designed for maximum performance in squirrel/rabbit sized game. They look better on paper, but a bad guy is a lot bigger than a squirrel and penetration is important. I don't know whether I'd go for a solid or a hollowpoint in this case though.

swingcatt
October 2, 2006, 06:41 PM
If you are going to use a .22lr for personal protection, be sure to file the front site off of your firearm. It is of the utmost importance that you do this! SC

Plink
October 9, 2006, 09:31 PM
Mercury disolves lead. Not something I'd want to happen to my carry ammo.

Someone has been watching too much TV.

Metallic mercury isn't nearly as toxic as mercury oxides and takes a very long time to poison. Even then, most of it passes harmlessly through. In the old days, miners would drink mercury to cure constipation. Scary, but true.

NewShooter
October 9, 2006, 10:23 PM
I like the 60 grainer by aguila. Velocities can vary but weight is constant. Use the heaviest bullet you can get.

chipp
October 9, 2006, 10:34 PM
what are those mercury fulminate bullets? does that eat the lead?

fecmech
October 10, 2006, 12:54 PM
"If I had to choose, CCI mini-mag HP's. While the Stingers, Vipers and other hyper-velocity .22's do boast a significant increase in velocity, they do this in RIFLES by using slower powders. They gain nothing in handguns, and in some cases actually loose perfomance from short barrels. In my own testing, fired from barrels under 6", the mini-mags actually produced more energy than the Stingers."

MachIVshooter--Not sure what you were using to "test "the Stingers with. I chrono'd a bunch of .22's this summer and here are my figures.

Stinger-Rifle-1665 fps--4" Revo-1225fps P-22(3.5"bbl)-1175 fps

CCI Mini Mag--Rifle-1229fps--4" Revo-974 Fps--P-22(3.5"bbl)903 fps.

Federal Lightning--Rifle-1405 fps.-- Walther P-22(3.5"bbl)1045 fps.

Energy figures for the Stinger would be approx 100 ft lbs.@1175fps while the energy figures for the Mini Mag @903 fps would be in the 70 ft. lb. range. Faster out of a rifle is faster out of a pistol. In over 30 yrs of chrongraphing pistol loads I have never seen ANY load that was faster out of a longer barrel(than a second load out of that same barrel) that became slower than the second load when fired from a shorter barrel. Faster is faster all the way down to the 1 7/8" snubby's.
That said .22's are a long way down my list for a carry gun. Nick

Magnuumpwr
October 15, 2006, 02:45 AM
Aguila sniper sub sonics:evil: = 60 gr round nose lead bullet @ about 950 fps and near 120 ft/lbs muzzle energy.:neener: Test barrel is 5 inches.

nitesite
October 15, 2006, 03:20 AM
CCI SGBs......

Oregongundude
October 17, 2006, 11:04 AM
The 60 grain sub Sonic Sniper ammo for the 22 LR sounds pretty good. However, I hope I don't get caught in a self defense situation with a .22. I love shooting them and I suppose they would kill if needed with enough shots. However, I'm into the bigger rounds I general carry nothing smaller than a .355 caliber for self defense, or for people on the metric system that's a 9 mm or above. However, I guess if I was stuck with a .22 I would go with the 60 grain bullets sniper bullets. I didn't know snipers used .22 lr rounds? You learn something everyday.

:rolleyes:

ronto
October 17, 2006, 11:22 AM
Given a 22LR is the only choice...CCI Mini-Mag 40Gr. solids...and shoot the BG in the eye socket...if you can't do that, use a baseball bat or 9 iron instead.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22lr round for personal defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!