Crimson Trace vs $5 air soft gun

PDA

bender
September 25, 2006, 03:08 PM
I bought my son an air soft pistol at a gun show. It cost $5 (guy wanted $8 but took $5). The pistol has a laser thingie that mounts to a rail under the barrel. There's a short wire that you attach to the grip, and it has a little push button that you can use your finger to turn the laser on or off.

I played around with it a little, putting the red dot on walls about 20 ft away, and even farther. The gun came with a "class III laser" warning sticker also.
I've played with CT grips (mounted on plastic toy guns at gun stores) and honestly, I don't see a huge diff in the workings or the dot itself...

I know CT's have adjustment screws, and molded rubber grips, but still...

I just can't reconcile the fact that a $5 toy laser sight does about the same thing as a $299 CT grip. I think we are being ripped off royally. I'll admit that the molded grips themselves, and the adjustment screws, may allow a price of $69.95, but $300...???

yes, I want some CT's. But I know the retail price is at least 10x what they cost to make, and probably even more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crimson Trace vs $5 air soft gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avizpls
September 25, 2006, 03:14 PM
well, one could argue the following.

a toy gun has very low recoil. CT lasers, and other "real" lasers are built to withstand the recoil of an actual gun.

The only experience I personally have with this is three 15 dollar lasers getting toasted by a 12guage. Then I spent about 50 on one (still cheap) and its still tickin

bender
September 25, 2006, 03:18 PM
ok, I didn't think of the recoil resistance factor...

guess we can add a little more to my suggested $69.95 price.

I'll go for $99.95 now.

Coronach
September 25, 2006, 04:32 PM
Also, the general ruggedness factor. One of the nice things about the CT and Lasermax systems is that they are pretty hard to damage them from rough handling. I know, I know...we all handle our guns gently. I do, too, but I've never seen a video of a gun grab that looked gentle.

No way would a el cheapo laser stand up to a wrestling match for a gun (to be fair, it would probably be superfluous at that range, anyway), or any sort of CQB fight where the user and his gun get knocked around.

Mike

Correia
September 25, 2006, 04:49 PM
I have some experience with cheap lasers. Your $5 laser will.

- not last as long
- break faster
- not hold zero
- probably isn't as bright

I'm not saying that CT laser grips aren't expensive. They are.

So in the spirit of capitalists everywhere, if you think you can make a competitive product, and bring it to retail at $99.95, you should smoke Crimson Trace and become rich. :)

bender
September 25, 2006, 10:17 PM
ok, yes, but... they are still outrageously marked up. I wonder who's making all the mark-up? from CT to the distributors, or from the distributors to the retailers, or from the retailers to us consumers...? Probably a large markup at each step.

I mean, I'd like to have 2 or 3 sets of CT grips but... I just can't afford to cough-up almost $900 for 3 CT's. Between 3 sets of CT's, or a nice AR-15, well... give me the gun...

Chris Rhines
September 26, 2006, 12:07 AM
I mean, I'd like to have 2 or 3 sets of CT grips but... I just can't afford to cough-up almost $900 for 3 CT's. I'd like to have a brand new TVR Tuscan convertible, but I just can't afford to cough up the hundred grand or so ... Either save up for them, buy a cheaper equivalent and accept the performance compromises, or do without.

Between 3 sets of CT's, or a nice AR-15, well... give me the gun... Sounds like you've made your choice. Why the complaining?

- Chris

bender
September 26, 2006, 12:23 AM
I guess it's human nature to complain...

If you enjoyed reading about "Crimson Trace vs $5 air soft gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!