Wondering about New England Firearms

PDA

DAL
May 13, 2003, 06:39 PM
How accurate, in general, are NEF rifles?
MOA? Obviously, there isn't much to them mechanically, but has anyone had any problems with them?
DAL

If you enjoyed reading about "Wondering about New England Firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
May 13, 2003, 07:40 PM
I've owned two: a Survivor model (heavy-barrel .308) and the standard .223 Handi-Rifle. The Survivor was an absolute tack-driver... with Federal Gold Medal match HP, I was able to shoot groups at right around ½ MOA all day, if I did my part. Astonishing accuracy from a cheap rifle. The .223 wasn't as good, but would still get 1½ MOA all day with Black Hills 52gr. JHP.

Overall, in terms of "value for money", these two were outstanding rifles. I don't know if they're all as good, but based on these two, I'd be happy to buy one again (especially the heavy-barrel version).

Art Eatman
May 13, 2003, 08:01 PM
The vast majority of owners' posts about them have been favorable. That goes way back into TFL daze. :)

Art

munk
May 13, 2003, 10:13 PM
....and, the last time I saw one reviewed it was in an article about varmint rifles: it almost cleaned the field of the competitors in the article, which were among the best.

munk

Soap
May 13, 2003, 10:38 PM
I would expect a minimum of 1.5 MOA out to most practical ranges. The gun might surprise you though. I've known people to get anywhere from .5MOA-1.5MOA with good loads and good shooting.

BusMaster007
May 13, 2003, 11:40 PM
The Topic is on the company, and the Thread starts with the rifles...
Has anyone used their little shotguns?

Big sister already got her single shot .22LR rifle.
I'm thinking my little girl is about ready for a .410; it fits her personality.

Soap
May 14, 2003, 01:09 PM
BusMaster007- Their shotguns are simply awesome. $90 gets you a shotgun that will literally last a lifetime. They even have an automatic ejector! This might be different on the .410 ones though. It is pretty silly because I have a lot of high dollar stuff but I use my NEF Farmer's Friend for my of my general shotgun work now.

Cosmoline
May 14, 2003, 01:39 PM
I debated about getting one of their 7x57 or 7x64(!) Handi rifles, but waited too long and missed my chance. My one beef was the lack of iron sights. I really think they'd be good for a peep sight.

I do think I'll be taking the plunge and getting a little used .357 handi. Should be a fun and fairly cheap plinker.

cratz2
May 14, 2003, 03:19 PM
I had a heavy barrel 223 with a laminated stock. I put a cheap scope that was as big as the rifle was one there and I was quite pleased with it. I shot one group at 175 yards (the furthest I could safely shoot) and the elevation ranged about 1" and the windage was about 2.5". And I couldn't get comfortable when I was shooting so that probably opened the group a bit.

I paid $189 and at that price, there really is no new competition. What else are you gonna get? The triggers are a bit rough bit I hear that if you can't do it yourself or find a local guy, that Marlin will clean it up for $35. Mine served me well and I did a fair bit of killing with it. Probably more than any other centerfire rifle I've ever owned. Mostly because that's the only one I had when I lived with the wife's parents for a short while which offered endless crow opportunity.

Friend of mine has an UltraHunter, I think it's called... in 25-06, rich red laminate stock, about a 26" octagonal barrel and iron sights. I'm first on the list if he ever wants to get rid of it. :p

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//DCP_1125a.jpg

munk
May 14, 2003, 03:24 PM
...so, do you sleep with it?

Nice rifle.

munk

Smoke
May 14, 2003, 05:28 PM
Have the .45-70 version. Its my truck gun. Surprisingly accurate little gun.

Go ahead and get one.

Triggers are not good out of the box.

Andrew Wyatt
May 14, 2003, 06:48 PM
i have one of the 20 gauge H&R toppers, which is the same gun as the NEF.

it's a great little gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wondering about New England Firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!