Thoughts on Nighthawk and Rock River Arms 1911s

PDA

EarlofSandwich
September 25, 2006, 11:28 PM
I just received my Rock River Arms catalog in the mail. Fine looking firearms.
The 1911s seem to be a little high in price in my view.
Got me to wondering, are they really worth the higher prices compared to their more mass produced competitors?
Some go well over the 2000 dollar mark, others pushing the 3g mark.
I can't imagine spending money like that on just a pistol unless I am a serious competitive shooter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on Nighthawk and Rock River Arms 1911s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
varoadking
September 25, 2006, 11:40 PM
I like my Nighthawk Talon - had it built the way I wanted it. It is perfect in almost every respect and shoots beautifully. Would I drop $2,300 on one again? Not likely.

My Yo-Bo 1* Enhanced Colt ran me the same coin - nice piece. Would I drop $2,300 on one again. Not likely.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/YoBo.jpg

My stainless SA GI .45 shoots every bit as well as the Nighthawk or the Yo-Bo. With a set of Yo-Bo PG sights, it's really all I need.

Am I selling my Nighthawk and/or Yo-Bo. Not likely.

Hope that helps...

BullfrogKen
September 26, 2006, 12:55 AM
If it is for you, then it is. If not, then no.

I can remember telling a buddy about 7 years ago I would NEVER spend more than $1k on a handgun. I didn't feel the incremental value was worth it. I couldn't justify it. What makes the difference?

He had some pricy ones. He just smiled and said . . . "Eventually ;) ."

Well. He was right. I had a LW Commander converted to 9x23, with about Hmmmm . . . Hope my wife don't see this . . . . close to $2k in work by a well known regional Pistolsmith.

Then, last year, I did it again. Except I took a week off work, stayed in a hotel, with that SAME buddy, and built one there under that Smith's guidance. That one . . . hmmm . . . with expenses . . . close to $3k.

And, YES. I do carry them, every day, I shoot the ***** out of them. I took a class from Steve Silverman this year with one. They aren't safe queens. They work, they work for me, they are there to work, that's why I got them.

Will I do it again? Ummm. . . . Yes. I'm already talking to Jim about him next class . . . I want an alloy 1911 Officer's with a Commander top end in 9x23. Next year probably.

Do I think its worth it? Put it this way. My Kimber hasn't seen the light of day in at least 2 years. I look at my Kimber, and I think its ugly, mass produced, utilitarian and unimpressive.

varoadking
September 26, 2006, 08:40 PM
FWIW - I find it pretty interesting that high quality handguns don't seem to generate much interest amongst the forum members here...but start a thread on a Taurus or RIA and you'll generate 100 posts...

Go figure...

Safety First
September 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
Earl,

If you can afford it, GO FOR IT .........

If you want a excellent box stock 1911, check out the S&W 1911 family..I have the commander Sc light weight at 28 oz, fantastic carry gun...But I would be ordering a NightHawk or Rock River Arms 1911 if the finances would allow, either one is on my long list when the funds are available....That really is a difficult choice but either one will be give you a good case of the grins...

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on Nighthawk and Rock River Arms 1911s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!