Brand new O/U ~ which lube to use

PDA

shooterer
September 26, 2006, 06:27 PM
What type of grease (or oil) should I use on the hinge during break in?

Thanks,
Shooterer

If you enjoyed reading about "Brand new O/U ~ which lube to use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mete
September 26, 2006, 07:11 PM
There are high forces on a O/U hinge pin. There are special greases made for that purpose such as RIG +P .Use it on hinge pin [trunnions on things like Beretta] and lock.This is for regular use not just break in. If you have a Browning ,which are noted for being very stiff ,the easiest way to 'break in' is to open and close the gun at least 100 times ,do it while you're watching the tube !!!

LUGNUTZ426
September 26, 2006, 07:13 PM
I USE TEFLON SUPER LUBE. DON'T OVER GREASE AS DIRT AND POWDER RESIDUE WILL STICK TO IT.

TX1911fan
September 26, 2006, 07:21 PM
Don't grease the sides. I did and fouling stuck to the grease and an ejector got stuck closed. I grease the pins and oil the sides.

mswestfall
September 26, 2006, 10:23 PM
Some gun manufactures say to only use oil, but I grease the forearm clip and the hinge pin and oil everything else.

Browning did the same when I took it to them for repairs. In fact I was a bit surprised that they used some much grease.

PJR
September 26, 2006, 10:48 PM
I use a synthetic grease from Nye Lubricants but have used STOS and grease from Krieghoff and Perazzi in the past. It's not important what grease you use but that you clean it off after you are done shooting. If not replaced regularly the grease picks up dirt and grit and acts as an abrasive paste.

HSMITH
September 27, 2006, 12:07 AM
I use STOS or Rig +P. STOS isn't as stinky as Rig, but it is a LOT harder to find around here. One $6 tub of rig will last 100K rounds too.

I run a couple hundred rounds nearly dry through a new O/U, especially a really tight gun. Just a little light cheap crap oil like RemOil or 3 in 1 oil, whatever is handy. I won't put up with a gun that takes 2 men and three boys to break open. Once it gets where you can comfortably open it by yourself with two hands and a limited effort all it will see is good grease, it will take many many tens of thousands of rounds to loosen a noticeable amount from there.

45auto
September 27, 2006, 10:48 AM
I use FP-10 and apply it every time I shoot. You have very knowledgable manufactures and gunsmiths, for shotguns, disagree on grease or oil. They all agree that it should be cleaned off and reapplied I believe.

But, if you inclined not to break down the O/U each time you shoot it, I'd go with grease since it will stay on longer. You do run the risk of it "grabbing" dirt, etc if you don't clean it off. Never use grease on the sides of the barrel or receiver.

I knew several people that never applied any lubrication on good quality O/U's and put tens of thousands of rounds through them. One of them never, and I mean never, took apart his gun. ;) And they worked. They were "looser" than they should have been, and gouges were evident, but they fired.
Not a good thing, but the O/U is probably one of the few firearms that can take the lack of care and still work, so I wouldn't get too hung up on grease or oil.

I use oil because it's easier to reapply and often.

Slugo
September 27, 2006, 04:01 PM
worse stuff to use on any O/U shotgun. I use one and only one chemical - FP10 - it works so well on every part. Gun grease is nothing more than a magnet for particles and dirt and will quickly accelerate wear on any of the locations where it is present. Be very safe, FP10 is the ultimate answer...

Onmilo
September 28, 2006, 10:50 AM
I disagree.
I have been using Tetra Gun Grease for ten years now on a wide range of firearms including over unders.
No issues other than the stuff is not a rust preventative but I just mix the Tetra with some M-Pro 7 CLP and that little glitch was solved

Scoupe
September 28, 2006, 03:56 PM
I use whatever happens to be around when I need grease. Right now I have a tube of Super-Lube grease in my gun case. Gun gets opened and closed no more than 150 time per session. Then all the grease gets carefully wiped off when done and reapplied the next time I'm at the range-or for the next event when at a tourney.

Yep, attracts some dirt and residue, that's why it's promptly removed and reapplied EACH time out. Doesn't have to deal with heat or high RPM, so bascially any good, thick, slick stuff that will hold onto the metal for a few hours works just fine. 16,000 rounds through my skeet gun this season and it seems to holding up just fine.

sm
September 28, 2006, 05:27 PM
mete, I agree with your post #2.

RIG, and RIG+P are good stuff.

STOS is another I have used with great results.

Currently on one newer Single shot shotgun, I am using Ballistol only, as I am wanting to smooth up a bit, to make easier for a kid to use. The kid btw , although he and mom have RIG +P , really really wants some STOS.

I will neither confirm or deny the young man was told what those letters stand for...

Grandpa has STOS waiting for the right time. I think the game plan is to bring his mom a big box of chocolate when he presents his grandson his very own STOS.

"She can't fuss and eat chocolate at the same time" :p

shooterer
September 28, 2006, 05:35 PM
Not to high jack my own thread..But, Scoupe

"16,000 rounds through my skeet gun this season and it seems to holding up just fine."

Thats 2 boxes of shells everyday day of the year, including holidays.:what:

Man, your my hero.:)

Shooterer

Scoupe
September 28, 2006, 06:05 PM
Well, last weekend (Friday afternoon through Sunday ) I shot 850 rounds through that gun. This weekend will probably be only 500.

I like to shoot.

ocharry
September 28, 2006, 08:07 PM
i have a browning o/u that i bought new in 1974,,,and all it has ever had on the hing and anywhere i needed lude was and is breakfree clp,,, it has been to the skeet range,, the sporting clays feild ,, and trap,,, hunting.. you name it.... i don't know or would be afraid to know how many rounds have been through it,,, but it is lots.. and like scoupe says 500 rounds in a weekend is not unheard of,,,, and when you are playing it could be more,,, this gun when you hold it with the stock under your arm will still NOT fall all the way open,,, now it does only have 26" barrels and that may or may not have something to do with it,,, but it is still tight and has a lot of years of shooting left in it.... i dought i will wear it out... i think the real key is as has been said above to keep it cleen and oiled..... just my .02 ymmv

ocharry;)

ATAShooter
September 29, 2006, 09:26 PM
I use Plastilube..... Yep, the same pot grease for the M1 Garand and the M1A.

Mr Kablammo
September 30, 2006, 10:17 PM
I used only oil on my 686 Onyx and got some galling where the forend and reciever rub up. After consulting at the local shop, which sells a lot of O/Us, the recommendation was Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube. I have applied it but have not been out shooting yet. I may also try Wilson Combat's lube and Brownell's. I am very annoyed with myself at letting this happen.. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Brand new O/U ~ which lube to use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!