Board Decides: P220 or XD-45 4"

PDA

JaxNovice
September 26, 2006, 08:00 PM
I am in the market for the a new .45 and have agonized over my last two remaining options. I dont need a whole lot of commentary (though feel free) just a tiebreaking vote. Will post pix of new purchase when I pick it up.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Board Decides: P220 or XD-45 4"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Euclidean
September 26, 2006, 08:05 PM
I assume you mean the .45 XD. I've had both. Both are very very good.

I still have the XD.

You'd think the Sig 220 would be thinner or easier to carry being a single stack but it's not.

Factory magazines for the Sig 220 are ridiculous, honestly. Their cost is outrageous.

I'd own the 220 again if I ever wanted to get back into a decocker in .45 ACP.

If the XD45ACP had never existed I'd still have the 220.

Marshall
September 26, 2006, 08:08 PM
Jax,

The usage will primarily be?

JaxNovice
September 26, 2006, 08:09 PM
Potential carry, home defense for sure, definite range gun

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
September 26, 2006, 08:19 PM
Both being quality guns, I went with the XD for 3 reasons:

- Easier, lighter, smaller for CCW
- Mag capacity of 13+1
- cost of admission is easier to swallow.

But, being a sig owner, if you have to have a sig, and want to spend the cash, that's a good one! :)

varoadking
September 26, 2006, 08:30 PM
I'd own the 220 again if I ever wanted to get back into a decocker in .45 ACP.

DAK

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=138

10-Ring
September 26, 2006, 08:31 PM
Tough...my P220 was a lemon & the few XD's I've shot have broke :scrutiny: I guess if pressed, I'd give SIG another shot :D

Marshall
September 26, 2006, 08:33 PM
With carry being in there, if I went Sig, I would go with their smaller "Carry" model with a 3.9", almost 4" barrel, in your favorite flavor. You'll save a couple of ounces and save on length too. A four inch barrel still makes a good range run.

The difficulty is, you can almost buy 2 XD-45's for that price.

My suggestion is, buy the one you like best. Which one feels best to you in your hand? Load up both guns with full mags and see what you think. Thirteen rounds of .45ACP isn't light. It may be good for the range but it might be too heavy for you to carry and might feel awkward to you? Only you will know after you handle them.

I have an XD-40 service model (4") and I love it. It has a different sized grip than the XD-45 though. I like the XD-45 and would probably have bought one if I didn't already have the XD-40 but, the 40 feels so much better in my hand than the 45 it has me spoiled.

Sig makes great guns. My good friend Ala Dan will tell you they are top notch! I have read many times where he loves the Sig P220 and I gotta tell you, I am wanting one too! (I was looking at them earlier today)

Bottom line, on this choice, I won't pick for you.

Best of luck. :)

Cousin Mike
September 26, 2006, 09:19 PM
... there! I said it, since no one else will :D

Seriously though, there's almost no choice.. My vote goes for the Sig without a second thought. Shoot one and you'll see why. Nothing against the XD - I've shot a few different XD's, and they're decent guns. They're nothing close to a Sig, though.

It's like comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai.

I'll rent an XD any day of the week to play with at the range. I'd buy a Sig over almost anything if given the choice. My P220 is my favorite pistol of all - the only other gun that comes close is my other Sig (SP 2340). I also prefer DA/SA/decocker to a striker-fired system.

Here's my thinking. Sigs are in a class of their own. I used to think they were overpriced, over-hyped, ugly things... They grow on you REALLY fast once you start reading about them, and even faster if you actually get your hands on one. If you're considering one, you're already intrigued, and you'll buy one eventually. :p

NOW - you can buy that Sig, fall completely in love with it, and have all the pistol you'll ever need... or you can buy that XD, and eventually you'll buy the Sig ANYWAYS! :D Might as well save yourself the time and trouble, and get the Sig to begin with.

You might think I'm biased... I am... But FWIW, I wish someone had told me about Sigs back before I bought 5 or 6 other pistols I ended up trading away or selling. If I made a Sig my first gun, I'd have saved thousands of dollars on pistols... Or, I'd have 4 times as many Sigs... Win/win situation either way.

JaxNovice
September 26, 2006, 09:48 PM
Cousin Mike, I like the way you think. You remind me of my wifes logic as she shops for cars. "we are going to get a 7 series one day. why not just do it now?"

I keep staring at pix of the p220 stainless finish and damn is a pretty firearm.

Cousin Mike
September 26, 2006, 10:14 PM
Funny you mention the P220ST, I was thinking of trading my P220 in towards a P220ST.. Of course, I could always just get both, and have 2 two-toned P220's :D Already owning a P228, I'm surprised you'd even consider an XD - no offense to XD owners. :neener:

The P220 handles .45ACP a lot better than the XD also IMO. Only thing more comfy to shoot .45 from in my experience is a custom 1911. I almost hate taking people to the range when I have my P220 with me. I never get it back until the ammo's gone. :mad: OTOH, converting people is something I get a kick out of. I took my cousin out to the range this weekend - he recently acquired his CCW permit and has a G27. He brought along a friend with a G22. They both want Sigs now. :D

usp_fan
September 26, 2006, 10:28 PM
I had the same delima several months ago. I ended up trading for a P220. I can't compare it to the XD only b/c I don't have one, but I really like the SIG. I do think the XD is a marvel of plastic and will have one some day.

--usp_fan

joneb
September 26, 2006, 10:54 PM
Why not a 4" 1911 mod. :confused:

progunner1957
September 26, 2006, 11:34 PM
I would probably go with the XD45, because as someone else said:
- Mag capacity of 13+1
- cost of admission is easier to swallow.
I have a SIG P220 and it is a very nice gun. The worst thing is not the cost of the gun, but the cost of the magazines - almost as bad as H&K autopistol mags, which are $50-55 each!:what: If I remember, the last P220 mags I bought were $40 or $45 each.

The XD45 seems to be a good weapon - the XD pistols are building themselves a solid reputation. And it's always better to have 14 rounds of .45ACP than 9 rounds, even though 9 should be enough for anything short of going into battle with nothing but your autopistol.

Euclidean
September 27, 2006, 12:41 AM
http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=138

That's cool and everything, and this probably won't make sense to anyone else, but if I'm going to have a SIG I want a classic decocker. Does that make any sense at all? No, but I guess it doesn't have to.

Oh, one thing in the Sig's favor: a lot more armorer's around. Love my XD but I can't pretend it's as easy to get worked on as the Sig will be. Course I have two identical XDs to solve that problem, but I'm just that dedicated.:D

Ala Dan
September 27, 2006, 02:43 AM
Although both are great choices, I voted where my heart lies-:uhoh:

and that is with the SIG P220~!;) :D

DFW1911
September 27, 2006, 04:06 AM
I have both: I prefer the 220, my brother the XD...our reasoning is simple, I guess, I like the feel of the 220 better (which I think makes me shoot it better :rolleyes: ), he likes the XD for the same reason(s).

You can't go wrong either way.

Have fun with either one :evil: (sounds like a Frat saying, doesn't it)

DFW1911

RTFM
September 27, 2006, 08:21 AM
SIG - becouse it's SIG!
And everyone needs one SIG in their lifetime.

(P229 .40S&W and a P220 .45ACP here)

usp_fan
September 27, 2006, 08:57 AM
For those that are put off by the cost of SIG factory mags, the Novak and ACT nickled 8rnd mags are good alternatives for less than $20.

Also, one other consideration, Springfield won't sell parts to the XD line. If you want to work on your XD, you can pretty much just change the sights--everything else goes back to Springfield. Sig parts are everywhere. A couple of Sig Forum members have produced a great DVD detailing everything you'd want to know about working on the P series SIGs.

I'm not trying to start a "my choice is better than yours" war. Just adding some information to the discussion.

--usp_fan

HMMurdock
September 27, 2006, 08:59 AM
I've shot the crap out of both and you win with either one. If you don't mind the thicker grip and bigger pricetag I suggest the Sig P220. I consider Sig and Hk the upper echelon of firearms, whereas the Glocks and XDs are just much better for the money. Personal opinion and lets not debate that here- :banghead: - I'm just saying...

The P220 can be had in a shorter carry length and with the DAK consistant trigger pull or SAO (single action only) like a 1911. So you have many options within the P220. I am a fan of the DAKs and SAOs because I do not like DA/SA trigger pulls, I love glocks and XDs in that every trigger pull is the same.

Sig is definately sexier between the two, but it is bigger and holds less rounds. It is just a more well-oiled combat machine in my eyes. The XD, like the Glock, is wonderful and you get more bang for your buck, but I voted on the P220 because if the SHTF and I only had time to grab one of the two, I'd go where my heart is and snag the P220.

A guy I work with carries the XD .45 Tactical and swears by it. I've shot it and I'm impressed, but he'd mate with the thing if it had the proper organs. I like the XD and all, but I'm sticking with my Sigs...

TRL

jlh26oo
September 27, 2006, 09:00 AM
Just some advice- if for some unimaginable, insane reason, you DON'T happen to buy what the poll decides, keep it to yourself. Trust me :uhoh:

(voted xd... closest thing with glock not being an option)

Cousin Mike
September 27, 2006, 09:37 AM
Magazines can be expensive, this is true... However, the Mec-Gar mags I bought for my P220 work flawlessly, and were bought for around $20 each. If you don't want to chance it with aftermarket mags for whatever reason, you'll be spending about $39.99 for a new Sig magazine if you buy from sigarms.com. Locally they're around $49.99 for me. There are also 10-round mags available for the P220, although I don't own any yet. I haven't heard anything bad about the 10-round mags. The 8-round mags I've been told to stay away from.

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
September 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
Mag cost is no reason to discount the Sig 220...

http://www.Topgunsupply.com Sig 220 mags are $29.95, and ACT/Novak 220 mags are $18.95, with $5.00 shipping whether you buy 1 or 5.

rodinal220
September 27, 2006, 02:01 PM
My P220 served me well when I was on the job,it never failed,zero malfunctions.

FYI,Mec-Gar mags are OEM for many of the big gun companies,Mec-Gar has been the OEM for SIG for many years now.I never used the zipper-seam SIG mags that came with my gun,I used Mec-Gars and had no issues with them.

Black Majik
September 27, 2006, 02:30 PM
I've shot the crap out of both and you win with either one. If you don't mind the thicker grip and bigger pricetag I suggest the Sig P220

How is the P220's grip thicker when it's a single stack? :rolleyes:

Jax,
While both are good guns, my preference goes to the P220. I personally like the platform better, particularly that the trigger is better on the SIGs than on the XDs in general.

Now, price is obviously an issue, of about $200 or so dollars. So, what I do recommend is a CPO P220 with a stamped slide. This is the older, "classic" generation SIGs. Most likely the trigger is already smooth, and its refurbished for many, many more years of life still. I dunno why, but the new SIGs don't interest me much, with the stainless slides, railed frames or the heavy price tag.

Go for the $500 stamped CPO SIG, which is IMO a better built gun than the present generation. With a price so close in comparison, its hard not to go SIG.

Good luck in your search. :)

kevin387
September 27, 2006, 11:36 PM
The only way to beat a 220 is by having two.

MAGNUMMAN
September 28, 2006, 02:08 AM
Get the Sig 220 SINGLE ACTION ONLY.

boomstik45
September 28, 2006, 03:37 AM
I pretty much guessed that the poll was going to lean towards Sig before even looking at the current results. It really depends on your preference. I've had both. Both companies give good service. BlakMajic has it right: if price is an issue then go for a CPO 220 and buy the Novak mags. As far as service, both companies are very good. If you're really concerned about buying parts for your gun, then Sig is the way to go. I personally don't worry about that sort of thing much, but some people do. Capacity shouldn't be much of an issue, but it never hurts to have more rounds on tap before refueling. The XD trigger is the same every time and gets better after several hundred rounds. The sig trigger is available in many configurations, but if you want something other than DA/SA, you won't likely be able to pay the nice CPO price, you're going to be a lot closer to the $800 (or more in some cases) price that the new sigs carry. But have you shot both weapons extensively? I would do that before deciding. Remeber this, though: if you buy the 220 (new price) and don't like it as much, you'll lose more money in the end because you spent more and NOBODY is going to pay near what you paid for a USED gun, no matter how many rounds you put through it. The XD .45 is so popular, if you don't like it, someone will be glad to take it off your hands and you shouldn't get gouged badly on the deal. Yeah, I voted XD for my own reasons, but you have to go with what your heart is really set on. I stayed with the XD because after having it, as well as several Sigs and HKs, I don't see where I'm getting so much more of my money's worth with the others.

Cousin Mike
September 28, 2006, 09:39 AM
I stayed with the XD because after having it, as well as several Sigs and HKs, I don't see where I'm getting so much more of my money's worth with the others.

I guess that's why I voted for the SIG. Every XD I've ever shot had at least one FTFeed or FTE within a 200-300 round range session.. Now sure, 1 or 2 jams out of 200-300 ain't bad, but my SIG P220 hasn't jammed once in the 5000+ rounds I've put through it this year. I bought it used, and havent changed so much as a recoil spring, and this thing works flawlessly. My SIG Pro has also never jammed in well over 2000 rounds since March.

That kind of performance and reliability is well worth the extra $200 for a P-series SIG... the SIG Pro costs the same as an XD.

I agree with Majik as well - the older models are a much better gun. I'm not a big fan of tacti-cool rails and extra trimmings and fixings.

Falconeer
September 28, 2006, 09:49 AM
IMHO, there are three types of Sig mags:
1) Sig original - expensive, but they do say Sig on them. :p
2) Mec-Gar - they actually make the mags for Sig
3) Novak - For P220 mags (and now GSR)

The general consensus is stay away from Pro-Mag! They may make good mags for other pistols, but I've never heard anything good about the their Sig mags.

Another option to consider: Sometimes you can find used Sig mags really cheap. They're great for range use, and if they start to give problems (usually FTF on the last round) call Sig up and usually they'll send you new springs. :)

Powder_Burn
September 28, 2006, 02:10 PM
These are both excellent guns in the quality department so it should come down to what feels best in your hand. I have handled them both and preferred the lower height of the XD slide over the taller Sig slide (between the sights to the web of my hand). I could aim much more naturally with the XD and I liked the fact that is has a fully supported chamber and holds a bunch o'ammo. These are personal preferences though so either way you go you should be satisfied.

SFvet
September 28, 2006, 11:41 PM
The last mags I got for my P220 were 8rnd Novaks for $25! If you know where to look you can get em cheap.

pablo45
September 29, 2006, 10:39 AM
The sig is to me is by far the better choice when it comes down to it. I owned the xd and sold it because i am just not an xd fan at all. I love glocks,hk's and sig's but that xd is just not the right gun for me.

SuperNaut
September 29, 2006, 11:06 AM
One for now, one for later.;)

JaxNovice
September 30, 2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I bought a CPO P220 this morning. I will post pix when it comes in. Thanks again!

Ohen Cepel
September 30, 2006, 10:00 AM
The XD is a good pistol. However, I like the SIG much more!

No comparison to me.

boomstik45
October 1, 2006, 01:41 AM
Congrats, JaxNovice. I think you made a good choice and got a good deal (assuming you didn't pay too much).

CousinMike, I've had a Sig 220 that jammed four times in ONE qualifying round. I've yet to have a single malfunction of any type in my XD .45s. I don't have the service model anymore because I fell in love with the Tactical version. But that's just my experience. I've owned three Sigpros and have nothing bad to say about any of them. They are so nice, I don't see why they haven't taken a larger share of the law enforcement market (besides Glock's marketing and lobbying). I think that's the Sig to have, especially if you like the 228/229/226 and don't want to pay the high prices. In a lot of places, however, I've seen them go for more than the XD .45s, though not by a large margin. So it's a matter of preference. As far as the Sig 220 goes, if it's a CPO, particularly the older ones, I'd go for it in a New York minute, especially since they tend to be $550 or less. However, I don't see paying $700 or more for a gun that hasn't proven to me that it's better than the XD. Like I said just personal experiences and preferences. Mine have been a little different from yours.

ibanda
October 1, 2006, 06:10 PM
Well I commend you for the CPO Sig choice, I don't see the reason to pay for a new one while these are available. I love my stamped steel SIG 220 mainly because it fits my hand so well. It has never jammed.

jman74
October 1, 2006, 08:41 PM
I have both a 200 and several XD's. It's a tough choice and you can't go wrong with either one. Try both out and see which you like better. Either will serve you well. If you do choose Sig, stay away from Promags. I have a pile of them that aren't worth the $3 a piece I paid for them.

cookekdjr
October 1, 2006, 09:16 PM
I've heard alot of good things about the XD.
OTOH, the p220 is one of the best handguns in the world. I'd buy the p220. I'm a horrible pistol shot, but can shoot really well with the p220. It runs like a custom 1911 right out of the box.
-David

Greg Dunn
October 2, 2006, 11:03 AM
without a doubt in my mind the SIG 220 is the best non 1911 .45 out there, having owned several examples of both.

The XD is a great gun, but it's just not a SIG.

Sry0fcr
October 2, 2006, 05:11 PM
220's are nice guns but definately aren't $300 better. Especially if you're getting that horrid DAK trigger :barf: .

Tony Mig
October 2, 2006, 05:37 PM
Well JaxNovice, I hope you're happier with your Sig P220 than I'am with mine......
Don't get me wrong, it's a quality handgun in every aspect, reliable, accurate, easy to break down and clean, and not one FTF, or FTE in 4 to 5 hundred rounds.
The problem I'm having with mine is the grip, for some reason after shooting 3 to 4 magazines out of it, my hand starts to shake uncontrolably. I've tried everything I know, changed the way I grip the gun, changed the grips twice, exercised my hand and fingers, but nothing works, as soon as I start shooting this gun my hand starts shaking. I believe this particular gun is pressuring either a nerve or blood vessel in my hand that's causing this problem, and now I'm stuck with a quality firearm I can't shoot......:banghead:

No other handgun that I have owned, or presently own does this, only the Sig P220. Since discovering this problem, I've taken my Kimber 1911 out, and shot several hundred rounds in one session without any problems what so ever, but after only 14 rounds out of the Sig, and I'm shaking like Ted Kennedy before his first drink......:eek:

Unfortunitely this Sig will be short lived, and going back as a trade-in on another Kimber 1911, I just have to wait for the X-mas club check to come out.......

I really do hope you have better luck with yours, after all it is a quality gun in every aspect.......

If you enjoyed reading about "Board Decides: P220 or XD-45 4"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!