Another way to look at RSCs

PDA

msb45
September 26, 2006, 11:29 PM
In researching the whole topic on RSC's and safes here I thought I would look at the problem in a slightly different way.

Assuming I would place a RSC on the 2nd floor close to a load bearing wall, home is early 70's construction. What is the max weight you would feel comfortable placing on the 2nd floor? Any practical experiences out there? I have no real opportunity to brace or locate the RSC anywhere else in the house.

Based on this input I can then look at making a good decision. After some research I'm interested in an AMSEC BF6032. But is 810lbs + contents too much for the application?

:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Another way to look at RSCs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
a1abdj
September 27, 2006, 01:37 PM
I've installed safes weighing up to 1,100 pounds on second floors of homes. I haven't heard of one crashing through yet, but the home owner signs a waiver before we do it.

Fire burns up, and that's the same direction the heat goes. If you're worried about fire protection, this may be an issue. Gun safes are not "fireproof" the same way a fire rated safe is. You're exposing your safe to conditions that wouldn't always exist if you kept it on the first floor.

The second problem you have with a safe on the second floor, is that during a fire, it may end up in the basement. Again, gun safes are not designed the same way fire rated safes are. A 20 foot fall may very well pop the safe open, and expose it's contents. Not to mention the danger posed to firefighters who may have to enter the structure.

Another issue you may face with many of the second floor deliveries is the lack of space at the top of the stairs. You need a little bit of room to climb a safe up stairs, and if your limited at the top, that may make it worth considering an alternative location.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another way to look at RSCs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!