CZ-75 or Baby Eagle?

PDA

TheArchDuke
September 27, 2006, 02:34 PM
I want one or the other. I'l leaning towards the Baby Eagle in .45.

Any opinions? Does anyone hear own one or both of these?

Decisions decisions.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ-75 or Baby Eagle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Desk Jockey
September 27, 2006, 03:02 PM
See this recent discussion. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=222989) Don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Love that signature line!!

TheArchDuke
September 27, 2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks. And thanks hahaha

Thefabulousfink
September 27, 2006, 03:14 PM
Apples to Apples

Pick the one that you like the looks of best.

They are soo similar that I used a CZ-75 manual to detail strip my BE. there were only minor differences and the frame-mounted safety vs. slide-mounted safety.

TheArchDuke
September 27, 2006, 03:20 PM
Baby eagle is slightly more beautiful...SLIGHTLY!

I've probably made up my mind. I have until november (21st birthday) to decide.

seed
September 27, 2006, 03:35 PM
The CZ. My brother got a P-01 and wanted rid of it because he saw no purpose for it since he got my Glock 19, I stupidly sold to him in tight financial times. Anyway, he traded his P-01 to me. At first I just did it just to get him off my back (he wanted my Kahr PM-9 super bad). He threw in his Bulgie Mak as well at my request (later I felt bad and unsolicitely gave him $200 for the Mak). When I got the P-01, I was not super thrilled as I was still hurting about losing my Glock 19. Guess what...I'm over the 19, finally after I realized what a sweet gun the P-01 is. It is really nice and fits my hand better than any other gun I own. It's probably official: I am no longer thinking about replacing my G19. All because of my new P-01.

m0ntels
September 27, 2006, 03:36 PM
Make sure you hold both first. I was all set to get me a CZ until I held it. Didnt like it, so I got the Baby. The upside for the CZ though is you can get that nifty Kadet kit for it and shoot 22lr.

Randy

MachIVshooter
September 27, 2006, 05:40 PM
Make sure you hold both first. I was all set to get me a CZ until I held it. Didnt like it, so I got the Baby

Definitely a deciding factor to consider. While the BE is based on the CZ-75, it has very different ergonomics.

BE also uses polygonal rifling, worth the extra $50 IMO.

D-Man
September 27, 2006, 05:47 PM
^ The polygonal rifling went away a few years ago, so that is no longer a potential selling point.

I have a 9mm Baby Eagle, and haven't had a single problem with it. Don't think you could go wrong with that or the CZ.

Desk Jockey
September 27, 2006, 06:20 PM
The polygonal rifling went away a few years ago, so that is no longer a potential selling point.

Are you sure about that? I think mine's about 2 years old and still has it.

mr.trooper
September 27, 2006, 07:11 PM
I have a CZ-75 SemiCompact. I love it dearly.

But now i want a .45 baby eagle. :D

I love the CZ platform.

D-Man
September 27, 2006, 07:29 PM
I did a quick search to try and find conclusive evidence that the Baby Eagle no longer uses polygonal rifling in their barrels, but came up empty.

Though if you do go to Magnum Research's site, the spec page for the Desert Eagle notes the polygonal rifling, and the Baby Eagle page does not say anything about it.

Desk Jockey
September 27, 2006, 07:53 PM
D-Man, I saw that too. The PDF user's manual on the site says that they have polygonal rifling, but it's dated 2003. I bought my 45 used, so I'm not certain about the age - could be 3 years old not 2 - but I am certain that it doesn't have traditional groove rifling. They could have changed it sometime during/after 2003. Or not; I really don't know either way.

Juna
September 27, 2006, 09:28 PM
CZ 75 will never disappoint you, unless you're set on a .45 ACP, in which case, you'd want a CZ 97B. :D

Lucky 7
September 28, 2006, 01:13 AM
2005 models and on dont have polygonal barrels :(

having both CZ and BE, I'd go BE first. Great lil gun and use the 16# recoil spring (for either) and you'll have no problems.

BE is more accuracte and has a better trigger btw, but you loose the cocked and locked feature of the CZ.

Regards,
-L7

TheArchDuke
September 28, 2006, 04:47 AM
That brings up a good point I didn't think of. How do you carry each gun so that you're ready but safe? And why?

Lucky 7
September 28, 2006, 08:10 AM
CZ-75b and Witness Carry-Comps in .45: Cocked and Locked (15+1 and 10+1)
BE 9900 (Pre-2005 Model): Round in Chamber, Safety off (16+1)
I carry one extra mag on me and another one in the glovebox.

One thing I've seen done with the CZ and Witness is to carry with the hammer cocked to half-notch and safety on. This "feels" a little safer to some.

All my CZ-types ride in the same Brigade M-10 IWB holster. Good holster but you have to wait two months for one. www.brigadegunleather.com No matter what you carry it in the weight gets to you after a while and, if you live in humid Southern states like myself, it can be troublesome to try and carry it.

Regards and Semper Fi!
-L7

dleong
September 28, 2006, 10:11 AM
My full-size 40S&W BE was purchased in early 2004, and did not have polygonal rifling.

MachIVshooter
September 28, 2006, 01:54 PM
The polygonal rifling went away a few years ago, so that is no longer a potential selling point.

People keep saying that, and I keep looking at them in the shops I frequent and they still have it. On my advise, a friend recently (6 weeks ago) picked up a .45 model new enough to have the IWI manufacture logo. It was poly.

My 9mm was bought in Nov., 2003 with two slide assy's (one stainless, one black); Both tubes were polygonal.

dleong
September 28, 2006, 02:15 PM
Is the use of polygonal rifling in the BE caliber-specific? Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have a 40S&W BE with polygonal rifling, and/or a 9mm BE without it.

Dollar An Hour
September 28, 2006, 02:28 PM
Generally the CZ's fit larger hands better, and BE's fit small-medium hands better. Some people don't like the slide-mounted BE safety also.

The BE's I've handled tend to have better triggers out of the box than the often-gritty CZ's.

bb21
September 28, 2006, 03:54 PM
Both are exellent, Juna made a good point the CZ-75 is available in 9 and .40 the CZ-97 is the .45 and the BE is available in 9, .40 & .45. I have smaller hands and my BE 9mm fits great, where some handguns I have a hardtime reaching the Mag release and the slide release. Consider what you will be using it for, both are great range guns, but you may want to consider something lighter or smaller than the full sized versions for carry. Either the CZ-100 if you like plastic and a small price tag or compact versions of either. Hope this helps

Desk Jockey
September 29, 2006, 06:08 PM
OK, gentlemen, I'm going to come clean on this before I head to the mountains for the weekend in a few minutes.

I posted previously that I was certain my .45 BE has polygonal rifling. I was certain of this because when I bought it, my research indicated that all BE's had such. And while cleaning it, I didn't see lands and grooves as I see on my rifles. Never really gave it a close inspection or a lot of thought until this discussion.

I inspected it today. Even used a magnifying glass to be certain. It has traditional L&G rifling. It's not as deep as I see in my snub-nose .38, and certainly not as obvious as that on a rifle. But there are definite grooves with corners on them. Since there are visible corners to the grooves, it can't be polygonal rifling (unless I'm mistaken on that also).

I don't know the exact age of this particular specimen, but I guess it's newer than I realized. I've had it for just under a year, and bought it used from a dealer. It carries the "IWI" emblem and the front of the owner's manual says it was updated in July 2005. The owner's manual does not mention polygonal rifling (or any other type of rifling)

On the Magnum Research website, the pdf owner's manual has a 2003 date on it, and it specifically mentions polygonal rifling. Both manuals are generic to all 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP BEs.

Sorry for the previous mis-information. Now I'd better go apologize to my BE by feeding it a couple hundred rounds. :D

efdavila
September 30, 2006, 03:33 AM
I considered buying a BE and had the same question about polygonal rifling. I contacted Magnum Research directly (~ 5 months ago) and they indicated that they no longer do polygonal rifling - the benefit didn't justify the expense.

mr.trooper
September 30, 2006, 04:12 AM
I carry my CZ75 with a round in the chamber and the hammer down, safety off. it is safe to carry, but will fire with a long double action pull.

litework
September 30, 2006, 11:04 AM
One thing I've seen done with the CZ and Witness is to carry with the hammer cocked to half-notch and safety on. This "feels" a little safer to some.

Is that unique to the CZ 75B? I have an SP01, and you cannot engage the safety when the gun's hammer has been lowered to the hammer safety notch position.

Any opinions?
Always buy what you're "leaning towards."

After owning the CZ75BD, I decided I liked the option of carrying cocked and locked and bought a standard SP01.

coinshooter
September 30, 2006, 12:42 PM
I just bought a CZ75 B IN stainless that is the pistol I been waiting all my life I have always preferred the CZ platform but also a gun in stainless now the best of both worlds.

Lucky 7
October 1, 2006, 12:01 PM
Sorry about that, the Witness is the only one that can do that. Tried it yesterday with my 75 and was unable to do it. Witness for sure does it though. Again, sorry for the misinformation folks.

Regards,
-L7

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ-75 or Baby Eagle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!