Stevens vintage shotgun help needed!

PDA

daskraut
September 27, 2006, 04:47 PM
I bought an old side by side 12 gauge years ago, and need to know what year and model, please check this out: http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=26810

If you enjoyed reading about "Stevens vintage shotgun help needed!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
September 28, 2006, 12:19 AM
From what I can see it appears to be a Model 235, made from 1912 to 1932. My uncle still has my grandfather's.

John

daskraut
September 28, 2006, 01:08 AM
thanks John, any way I can confirm?, I am looking for a site that really knows their sh*t when it comes to stevens shotguns.

JohnBT
September 28, 2006, 09:55 AM
I've never run across a site on the old Stevens doubles. Here's a 235 for sale on GA.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976772681.htm

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976772681-1.jpg

Onmilo
September 28, 2006, 10:35 AM
They are no worse than the hammerless Stevens.
Actions are fairly well made and stay relatively tight through years of shooting.
I wouldn't shoot loads heavier than 1 1/4 ounce 3 3/4 dram field equivilent loads but they will handle a steady diet.

Never, ever, dry snap one of these old guns!
The firing pins are the weak link and they will pitch firing pins in no time flat if you dry snap them.
Always use snap caps.
Pins can be easily made and can usually be found at parts dealers but it isn't cheap getting somebody to replace them and fit them up so they don't pop primers.
Why spend the extra money if you don't have to.

You bought yourself a decent old hammer gun, treasure it.

daskraut
September 28, 2006, 11:12 AM
Onmilo, thanks for the tip. John, that 235 looks similar, but maybe cuz it's 16 gauge it looks different in some respects. Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stevens vintage shotgun help needed!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!