shot the new taurus pt1911 today

PDA

CraCZ
September 27, 2006, 05:25 PM
Wow what a shooter that gun is! And Im not a big fan of Taurus at all. My shooting buddy bought it yesterday for $519 +tax (blue not stainless) and of course we had to take it in the desert to see how she did. He said the dealer that he bought it from was one of two dealers in AZ that have a few of them. He just happened to be in the store and noticed it and jumped on it. What a great trigger, it felt like maybe 2.5lb trigger with less recoil than most 1911 Ive shot. Also very accurate @25ydsl I couldnt beleive it was a Taurus.

If you enjoyed reading about "shot the new taurus pt1911 today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sgb
September 27, 2006, 07:08 PM
I'm waiting to get my hands on one for inspection.

larry starling
September 27, 2006, 08:29 PM
Oh Boy another mim and cast filled 1911......:scrutiny:

Helstrm
September 27, 2006, 08:31 PM
I want to try one out but for the money I would rather get a Springer. PT1911 has not been around long enough to have a track record yet.

rbernie
September 27, 2006, 08:37 PM
I am not a 1911 guru or anything, but.... The one that I handled look nicely appointed but had some significant fitment/tolerance issues, such as having the barrel ramp overhanging the frame ramp by a good 1/16". That pistol was a FTF just *waiting* to happen with any kind of HP ammo. :eek:

Not suggesting that they'll all bad, but I'd certainly inspect one very carefully before I put money into it.

EDITED TO ADD - I have two Taurus handguns in the safe, lest anyone think that I'm bashing the brand.

MrTuffPaws
September 27, 2006, 08:52 PM
Ah feel the Taurus love :neener:

Black Majik
September 27, 2006, 08:55 PM
Have they gotten it to look like a 1911 yet? :uhoh:

Hazzard
September 27, 2006, 09:28 PM
Boy, I'd hate to see the reaction if High-Point ever comes out with a 1911:rolleyes:

Sounds like your buddy is very happy with his find. If you get a chance, post some pics of the targets and keep us posted on reliability, etc... I may pick one of these up myself.

Big Gay Al
September 27, 2006, 09:34 PM
Boy, I'd hate to see the reaction if High-Point ever comes out with a 1911.Man, do you ever have that right!!

Not that Hi-Point would. So far as I know, all their pistols use a blow-back type action, and I'd hate to see the slide they'd have to put on a 1911 to make it blow-back, specially if the did it in .45ACP!

Still, I can already imagine all the negative stuff. :neener:

CZF
September 28, 2006, 12:04 AM
Hope they don't offer them in 10mmmmmmmmmm. My Dad likes Taurus autos and knows I have a good stash of TEN fodder:(

Big Gay Al
September 28, 2006, 01:54 AM
Are you kidding? I hope they DO offer it in 10mm. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

BigO01
September 28, 2006, 09:00 AM
I think the problem with the Taurus bashers is the fact that Taurus owners get the gun , new holsters , and several hundred rounds of ammo and reloading dies and still spend less money than they did on their Colts , Springers , Sigs etc. etc. .

While we're out enjoying shooting our guns they're saving up for the ammo to shoot theirs or trying to figure out a good story to tell the wives why they needed another $800+ gun . :p

Big Gay Al
September 28, 2006, 09:25 AM
That must be it, BigOo1. I know I'd have a hard time justifying spending much over $500.00 for a gun.

Manedwolf
September 28, 2006, 11:03 AM
The Taurus bashers, in my experience, generally haven't seen or used one other than their early 1980's copy models...either at that time, or used and cheap. They've not touched a MilPro or a 24/7 or a Gaucho SAA.

Which are REALLY nice, well-made guns, the first two with excellent ergonomics, the latter a solidly built and finished single-action rendition of the Colt SAA, with real, not simulated case-hardening. The PT1911 offers a lot of bling-bling racegun features for the price, I think.

It's kind of like if someone based their opinion of Hondas and Toyotas on the tiny 60hp alumabubble cars of the 1970s. :)

For example, with that analogy:

Old Honda:
http://world.honda.com/investors/annualreport/2005/image/07-2.jpg

New Honda:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c8/350px-Honda_Ridgeline.jpg

Taurus is exactly the same way. Companies and their products CHANGE over time. :)

Marshall
September 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
You couldn't make me buy that second Honda thing either. It's fugly. ;)

I do hear that Taurus is getting better on quality.

larry starling
September 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
I would like to say that I have owned and shot various Taurus handguns over the years and while the functioned they always left something to be had in accuracy and finish....:evil:

Northslope Nimrod
September 28, 2006, 12:38 PM
$519?

I was thinking the price was going to be closer to $400. I was actually quite interested.

I have found Kimber's and Springfields on sale for not much more than $600. If $100 dollars is the difference, I will choose another brand and wait for a sale.

$519 happens to be what I paid for a New Browning Hi-Power. Taurus 1911's will have to earn my respect before I shell out that kind of cash.

marriedguy1
September 28, 2006, 05:20 PM
They go for 459 here in San Antonio when they are in stock. I've been trying to get my meathooks on one, but have had no luck.

CAnnoneer
September 28, 2006, 06:12 PM
I had my doubts about Taurus. Then I took a chance and bought a PT92AFS and cannot be happier with it. I got an excellent gun for $399, NIB. What is the going price for a Beretta of the same type, stainless, NIB??

My prediction is the same would be true for the PT1911.

What SA, Kimber, etc., have to realize is that they are competing globally with companies that fight to improve their quality all the time. Unless the former want to work themselves into a tight dead-end niche, they have to find ways to make their basic-trim pricing more competitive.

Big Gay Al
September 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
Based on the prices listed at Bud's Gun Shop (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_50_495), I'd be surprised if the PT1911 reached $500.00 at their place.

longhorngunman
September 28, 2006, 11:30 PM
Prices seem to jump all over the place, I've heard of them going for up to $550, even being sold at right at $400, most seem to be in the $450-$500 range. I paid $475 for mine, might have held out and got a little better price later but I wanted it then and they are hard to find around here. I've been thrilled with mine and think it is an excellent 1911 for the price. In fact I have the bug now and want another one like a genuine Colt. I'm a little scarred though that I'm going to be very disappointed if that $800-$1000 Colt or STI isn't any better performance and function wise as my Taurus.:(

megatronrules
September 28, 2006, 11:54 PM
it was my understanding that the taurus pt1911 used a forged frame and slide is this not correct? If it does use a forged frame/slide I'll deffinatly give one a try any excuse to buy another 1911 is reason enough for me.

tenbase
September 29, 2006, 09:05 AM
Not that Hi-Point would. So far as I know, all their pistols use a blow-back type action, and I'd hate to see the slide they'd have to put on a 1911 to make it blow-back, specially if the did it in .45ACP!

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7872/hipoint1911zg4.jpg

quick and dirty. don't ask me how the ejection port works.

/should probably get back to work

CraCZ
September 29, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yes it does have a forged slide and frame.

Marshall
September 29, 2006, 06:44 PM
Hahaha! Sean it looks like a mailbox with a 1911 frame under it. .

longhorngunman
September 29, 2006, 06:48 PM
Yep, as CraCZ saud it uses a forged frame and slide anc is chocked full of MIM parts just like a Kimber. Heck, I'm not sure you can buy a forged frame and slide and same comparable parts and then put it together for under what Taurus wants for it's 1911. They also do a great job of polishing the barrel and feed ramp, mirror smooth. Only downside is the finish, it could be a lot better.

kansas45
September 30, 2006, 12:44 AM
I bought a TAURUS PT1911 in mid August. It was$450 out the door. Except for the grips I haven't replaced anything. I did have the trigger adjusted to 4lbs. It was 7lbs out of the box. It eats anything I feed it & is very accurate. The parts fit good, with no slop in the frame to slide fit or anywhere else. I have holstered it many times & the finish is wearing at the front end of the slide. I keep it cleaned & oiled as I do all of my guns & will not worry about the wear spots unless they get too bad, then I'll have it refinished under warrenty. The Heinie sights are very good but I plan on replacing them with some kind of night sights. After todays trip to the range it has 2500+ rounds through it without any signs of problems or internal wear. For the price, you can't beat this pistol.

varoadking
September 30, 2006, 08:20 AM
I keep it cleaned & oiled as I do all of my guns & will not worry about the wear spots unless they get too bad, then I'll have it refinished under warrenty.

What manufacturers warrant their finish against wear?

MPanova
October 4, 2006, 01:50 AM
damnit i want my mail box to look like that :what: thats funny as all hell

heres what the gunblast had to say about it

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT1911.htm

i picked mine up for right at 400 and all i had to do is change the grips to better fit my hands and thats it. period. great out of the box gun and for the price i dont see how any one could beat it.

v8stang289
October 4, 2006, 06:46 PM
i bought my taurus pt 1911 a few weeks ago and i love it, i have had no issues with it, feeding or otherwise. I paid $481 after taxes, but i've seen them for alot higher here in north carolina. i think taurus has fixed the heavy trigger pull that the first production models had, mine was put on a trigger pull gauge and measured at 4.5 lbs. i think its a great gun for the money, it has a lot of features and shoots really well. the only thing i've noticed about it is it is significantly heavier than a colt, but i still love it. heres a pic of mine.

TGinAZ
October 6, 2006, 01:56 AM
Apparently Sportsman's Warehouse ordered 5 PT1911's for each store (30 around the country?). The Phoenix store has received two so far... and I got the second one. Their price is $450, and I'm very pleased with it.

Since I used to shoot a lot of bullseye, I have a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match and I'd say the PT1911 compares VERY favorably to the old Colt... and that's right out of the box!

While just a little off-hand, no sandbags or ransom rest - http://tginaz.batcave.net/PT1911/.

brownie0486
October 6, 2006, 02:19 AM
We got one in today at the shop.

The trigger [ I unwrapped the gun from the box myself so got the first few pulls on the trigger :D ] was outstanding. Crisp, around 3.5 pounds, no creep at all.

Lots of features standard on others "enhanced" models. The tag had not been placed on it when I left, so I can't say what the owner will get for it just yet.

I did not like the sights dots system they had on it myself, but they were Heinie sights.

It looked well made externally, and if it had Kimbers name on it, I would not have known the difference for the most part. :rolleyes:

Brownie

TimboKhan
October 7, 2006, 03:11 AM
Oh Boy another mim and cast filled 1911.

As previously mentioned, the slide and frame are forged, not cast. Also, I paid $449.95 for my blued version, but I heard prices as low as $399.99 and as high as $550.00 for the blued version. What I paid seems to be about the average, and the $399.99 was way below average. TGinAZ, thats funny what you said because I got the second one at MY Sportsmans Warehouse! The first one sold within minutes according to the guy, and I bought mine about 30 minutes after it hit the floor. Matter of fact, the first guy I asked said they didn't have any, but the guy next to him said "hold on", and produced my pistol from behind a couple of other pistols. Why it was hidden, I have no idea, but there it is.

possum
October 8, 2006, 03:48 AM
cracz,
looks like someone else is happy with the pt1911, thanks for the report.

If you enjoyed reading about "shot the new taurus pt1911 today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!