Thunderwear

PDA

Sisco
September 27, 2006, 06:15 PM
Thunderwear: Good, bad or ugly?
I'll be getting my CCW in January, trying to pick a holster is driving me nuts.

Edited to add: I'm 5' 11" 230lbs (Yeah, yeah, sorta fat). T-Shirt and blue jeans kinda guy. Plan on carrying a full size 1911. I've been looking into IWB but not sure how comfortable that would be, don't really want to invest in new jeans to make room for the carry rig.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thunderwear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lance22
September 27, 2006, 07:17 PM
Nothing says "Is that a pistol down there or are you happy to see me" more than ThunderWear. But, make sure you have a bull barrel 6" or longer :rolleyes:

Seriously though ... a lot of the guys here wear it for deep concealment. Strong side hip will always be your fastest, most pragmatic carry spot. Start with that. If there are compelling reasons why you cannot carry strong side hip (in a conventional IWB or OWB holster), then you start looking at other alternatives such as Thunderwear. When I started to carry, I had to change the way I dressed. I started buying shirts that are made to NOT be tucked in, and I wear a sport coat almost every day now. Adjust the way you dress and the rest should come easy unless you have an unusual body shape ...

I presume you have seen the mongo lists of holster makers that we post here sometimes ... have some fun window shopping at those websites.

Hope this helps ...

enfield
September 27, 2006, 07:37 PM
Thunderwear, medium-to-large sized pistols and jeans don't mix for us chubby guys. You can carry said pistol well (in a Thunderwear holster) with roomy pants with pleats in the front, but with jeans you look like you're bragging.

ravencon
September 27, 2006, 07:56 PM
I really don't think jeans, Thunderwear and a 1911 will make for comfort, concealment and ease of access. For me, Thunderwear works best for loose khakis or athletic clothing.

But, YMMV.

Sisco
September 28, 2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the replies!
I'll keep looking. It isn't easy living out in the sticks, no where to go to compare and try different styles etc.

symr00
September 30, 2006, 10:26 AM
I've owned thunderwear and smartcarry. The largest handgun I carried in it was a Walther P-99 and that was pushing it. For sub compact glocks and revos, it's perfect.

orionengnr
September 30, 2006, 02:13 PM
Thunderwear/SmartCarry are good for sweats, boating shorts, loose khakis, anything that allows the, ahhh, rapid access required.

J-frame or Kahr PM9, okay. Anything larger/heavier is pressing it (although I have tried it with a compact Glock and several L and N frame Scandiums...I probably won't be doing that again).

tegemu
October 1, 2006, 10:44 AM
I too am of the rotund persuasion and I use 3 Brommeland
( www.brommelandgunleather.com ) Max Con V's with perfect comfort, concealability, access and confidence. IWB's are GREAT for us Shmoo-like folks.

epijunkie67
October 1, 2006, 12:00 PM
I use a smartcarry holster (same thing as thunderwear) in the summers to carry a Kahr PM9 and it works great but I'd never try to carry a full size pistol like that. Hell, I'd never try to carry a full sized pistol concealed anyway. In the winter I switch to a Para LDA .45 1911 but even it's a compact pistol compared to a full sized model.

The thing I like about the smartcarry is access. I've carried on the ankle before but it's hard to get to and can show. On the hip can print depending on my clothing choices and can sometimes be hard to get to if I'm sitting down. But the smartcarry is easy to get to from a seated position or standing position and I've never had anybody act like they noticed anything strange. Lets face it, when you're in public how often do you go around checking out another dudes twign' berries? People avoid looking there on purpose.

But you gotta be reasonable about handgun selection.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thunderwear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!