GG&G Sling Adapter- A work around to a lack of a ball detent?

PDA

marklbucla
September 27, 2006, 07:24 PM
http://www.gggaz.com/uploaded_images/pg51_moss590.jpg

Suppose one had an 870 barrel without the little ball in the barrel ring, with the mag dimples removed.

I'd imagine it would, but would this sling adapter take the place of the missing ball and mate with the Wingmaster/Police style mag caps well or would the mag caps still work their way loose?

If you enjoyed reading about "GG&G Sling Adapter- A work around to a lack of a ball detent?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
September 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
Mark,

It might well work- still, there's no spring pressure as with the original detent setup. But if it were to work, (as nearly as I can tell) it would require an 'old style' magazine cap, with the dimples around the outside rim. The 'new style' caps have teeth in the inside to contact the teeth in the magazine spring detent/magazine cap retainer. I think it might well be worth a try.

lpl/nc

Bix
September 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
This, by itself, will not work. As Lee alluded, there is no spring pressure forcing the ball forward. As a result, the ball won't keep the mag cap in place until it provides resistance by being backed up against the barrel ring.

I found that when I cranked down on the (old style) mag cap until the ball backed up against the barrel ring, the ball would not line up with a dimple in the cap. As a result, there would be play in the barrel. Tried placing a small bit of rubber behind the ball (between the ball and the barrel ring) to give it some spring, but to no avail.

Someone with more patience/mechanical inclination than myself might find a workaround with this, but simply slapping one of these sling adapters in front of your Express barrel ring will not yield satisfactory results.

If you enjoyed reading about "GG&G Sling Adapter- A work around to a lack of a ball detent?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!