Gun shot/shots - in the night

PDA

P95Carry
May 13, 2003, 09:37 PM
Depending where you live, will generally affect how you relate to the sound of shots. For me, daytime, I'd never be too surprised by the sound but, in the dark hours ......... never so sure.

Could be a ''domestic'', but how do you tell? By that I mean, when or not do you get concerned and investigate ... or even call 911. last thing I'd want to do would be to embarrass some dude locally who happened to be letting loose in his basement perhaps .... but then also, how do you tell it ain't a homicide/suicide?

I tend to never want to interfere but ....... difficult call IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun shot/shots - in the night" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USMCsilver
May 13, 2003, 09:40 PM
It is hard to make the call.

I live out in a somewhat underdeveloped area, but it is growing. A few weeks ago, I heard about 4 shots with 3-5 second intervals and then a rapid string of 5-7 shots at about 12:30 am. I had no idea what was going on, but it was a weekend. Down the road from the house, and then down a dirt road, there are some trailers so maybe they were just using their "redneck fireworks" to celebrate a birthday or something. Who knows? Nothing else came of it and it didn't make the paper so I guess no one was killed. :confused:

QuarterBoreGunner
May 13, 2003, 09:55 PM
This is easy.

Where I live (SF) if I hear shots it's definately bad guys.

Hasn't happened yet......but pretty much all my neighbors are first generation Chinese, friendly but the language gap is HUGE. And did you know that Chinese New Year is February 1st ? (It’s the year of the Ram by the way).

And did you also know that traditionally Chinese New Year is celebrated with a couple of long stings of firecrackers?

I seemed to have forgotten that.

Let’s just say that I levitated out of bed and remembered with my hand halfway in the night stand.

synoptic
May 13, 2003, 09:57 PM
During the day, no problem. There is a park across the street that does re-enactments for school children and they fire off black powder rifles.

At night, I would peek out the windows and chamber the shotgun. This is generally a decent neighborhood, but with a frat house next door some weird stuff can happen sometimes.

P95Carry
May 13, 2003, 10:02 PM
with a frat house next door some weird stuff can happen sometimes Geez .... you can keep that!! :D

M38
May 13, 2003, 10:08 PM
I live less than two miles from one of the impact areas at Quantico Marine Base so I often drift off to sleep at night to the pitter patter of machine gun fire.
and I like it ...

Darrin
May 13, 2003, 10:12 PM
I live outside the city limits, therefore, shooting on your own property is no biggie. (Unless you are like me with a tiny yard and neighbors that are spitting distance away, but I digress...)

Doesn't happen that often, but 3 or 4 times a month I can hear what seems to be a shotgun. Just 1 or 2 shots. Since the police and fire department are just down the street from me, I'd know if they responded. They don't, so must not be a big deal.

My old apartment was another story.... :what:

Darrin
May 13, 2003, 10:14 PM
I live less than two miles from one of the impact areas at Quantico Marine Base so I often drift off to sleep at night to the pitter patter of machine gun fire.
and I like it ... I had the same thing with I lived in Clarksville near the army base up there. :D Nothing bothered me except the low flying helicopters at midnight, but I got over it. :rolleyes: ;)

synoptic
May 13, 2003, 10:34 PM
I had the same thing with I lived in Clarksville near the army base up there. Nothing bothered me except the low flying helicopters at midnight, but I got over it.

I can relate...Used to live on MacDill AFB in Fl. A variety of jets would fly over all the time. Mostly F-16's. We got so used to it my sister could sleep through the Blue Angels at the annual air show.

Then on post in california we could hear the tanks firing at night as well as the longbows, hueys, blackhawks, etc... that were part of the war games... I LOVED it

Bowlcut
May 13, 2003, 10:34 PM
I know ive been dyinng to go a little dusk shooting with my Mosin-Nagant and a camera :D

But growing up in the country in east tn spoiled me. we can shoot anytime we want basicly, and heard all sorts of shots at night. worst was this one drunk that liked to come out and unload his ak straight up in the air as fast as he could....that guy finaly got taken off.

see im a little different, i love the sounds of raceing. the office is right beside nashville race track .....oh the friday afternoon sounds are just supurb

May 13, 2003, 10:40 PM
For me, this is simple, I would never call 911 based on anything that I didn't know for a fact was an emergency. How would I know for a fact ? I would check it out. I wouldn't see something out my car window and call in on my cell phone. I wouldn't call in based on some noise I heard.

As someone who responds to calls just like this, it POs to no end when someone calls in an "emergency" without making any effort at all to see if there is in fact an "emergency". If you are truely concerned that something bad is going down, then care about it enough to go and see if anything is going down. If you arn't willing to do that, then stay out of it. (no flame intended) I have responded on hundreds of house fires called in by some jerk on a cell phone that was some guy with a barbeque in his backyard trying to enjoy himself. I have responded to house fires that were misting systems. I have responded to thousands of man down calls that were our regular vagrants; often times I can tell you the guy's name before we leave the station based on the location of the "man down". I have gone on hundreds of "man slumped over the wheel" calls where some guy was trying to be safe and not drive when he was tired or he might be drunk. He might have realized that he had too much and rather than do something unsafe he pulls over to sleep it off. You call it in and now he might get a DUI even though he was doing the responsible thing. I have responded on hundreds of vehicle fires that was a radiator boiling over. All this stuff is called in by a do-gooder on a cell phone. If you really care about your fellow man, if you want to make a difference, take a minute and a very small amount of effort to actually stop or walk over and see if there is a problem. You might be causing someone a lot of problems but legal and otherwise because you choose to nib into someone elses business.

With gunfire, this is all the more important to me. If I lean out the back door and pop a coyote, or whatever and somebody reports this, it could make a lot of problems for me depending on the reaction from law enforcement. Something like this could easily be twisted by the liberals into something riviling a capital crime. Same goes for a (god forbid) negligent discharge. I have never had one, but if I did have one and the police responded, they would have to come in the house and check it out. They couldn't just leave with your word that you didn't shoot someone. Once in the house, they discover you have an ARSENAL; and your face is all over the news the next morning.

joeislove
May 13, 2003, 10:53 PM
I was leaving to go get a midnight snack one night a few months ago. I was just about to put my hand on the doorknob to turn it when I heard 10 shots in rapid succession go off just outside the house. After the second gunshot, I was down on one knee, and by the third, I had backed away to an interior wall. I waited five or ten seconds after the last shot and sidled up to a window and peeked out. I didn't see anyone out front, so I guess they came from down the street.

I waited a few minutes, and left to go get that midnight snack. I was checking shadows a lot more than usual, taking a few seconds at the door to look all around. I still don't know what it was.

El Tejon
May 13, 2003, 11:04 PM
For me, living in the foofoo 'burbs, I'll be calling the coppers from under my breakfast nook with the wok on my head.:D

Called the cops on a dying possum once, but that's another story (who know the stupid things yelled out like human children, geez--stupid city boy)!

Darrin
May 14, 2003, 12:50 AM
:D :D

Just went to the car and right before I opened the car door, *BOOM*.

I'm going to say that was either a magnum in that 12g or someone closer decided to get his/her shotgun out.

Crikey, that was 10 minutes ago and I'm still laughing due to the timing of this thread!

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 12:52 AM
If it's not in my neighborhood I let it be, unless it sounds like a whole platoon shooting.

Lennyjoe
May 14, 2003, 06:08 AM
Think it was our first weekend in Tucson when I heard a string of about 10 shots one eve. Was timed just right. Just happened to go from a show on tv to commercial. My whole family was watching tv when we heard the shots. Not 5 minutes later the Ghetto Chopper (Police chopper) flew over head and had the light shining down about 2 blocks from us. Just out the back fence perimeter of the base.

Got a few raised eyebrows on that one.

Matt1911
May 14, 2003, 07:33 AM
Gun shots are so common around here,the only time i "hear" them is when someone points them out.
Besides the Izzack Walton 2 blocks away,there are at least 4 people with a range on there property within 5 blocks.
Even at night it usally only gets a comment like "Benny got some more tracers..."or "Mark got a coyote".

dinosaur
May 14, 2003, 08:10 AM
Around here gunshots in the night are `jackers. Deer, not hi.:D My neighbor will sometimes pop a varmint but he`s on the council so it`s ok.:rolleyes:

axeman_g
May 14, 2003, 08:24 AM
I have two accounts. while living in Atl I would hear handguns go off every couple of weeks from the apartment complex across the gulch. I actually moved to the suburbs three years ago to raise a newborn away from the sounds of pistol shots. Now he grows up listening to rifle shots as poachers take deer out of season around the lake down the street. The rifle shots actually worry me more ...

About ten years ago I went hiking with two friends on the AT in the North Ga mnts. We hiked about 8 miles and set up camp in a lean-to. It was November and the temp dropped to about 20 degrees F. Well, we finally fell asleep huddled together and exhausted from the hike (and some toddies to warm us up) when I swear the Russians invaded!!!! There were M60 ripping, M16 popping off singles and strings, then large explosions and flashes in strings, simulated claymores maybe.
It seems that the rangers out of benning come up to the mnts and do some excersizes in the middle of the night. I have never jumped so high in a sleeping bag before. I still laugh everytime I think of that feeling I had when the first explosions and gunfire started.

P95Carry
May 14, 2003, 08:47 AM
Some great replies guys .... thanks a lot.:)

El Tejon
May 14, 2003, 09:00 AM
You mean you DON'T want to hear about the possum?:confused:

braindead0
May 14, 2003, 09:12 AM
When I lived in the 'Valley of Idiots' (San Fernando Valley **********), gunshots were almost a nightly occurance, along with helicoptors circling overhead..

Got used to them.. My last apartment in burbank was pretty safe as I had block walls between me and the 'outside world'. Kept up my awareness level, and didn't worry too much.

P95Carry
May 14, 2003, 10:17 AM
You mean you DON'T want to hear about the possum? Did I say that El Tejon? Ok, let's be havin it!:neener: :)

TallPine
May 14, 2003, 10:20 AM
Heck, why worry?

If you hear gunshots, and you're not hit, they missed you - it's over, nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, now, if you don't hear anything ....... :eek:

:D

P95Carry
May 14, 2003, 10:30 AM
For some reason, I'm hearing a Frank Sinatra song beginning here .....

''Gun shots in the night
They're making noises
Are they wrong or right
For taking chances
Do you call the cops
Or simply let it be?''

.......................................................... :p

Coronach
May 14, 2003, 11:51 AM
A certain region of my patrol area is experiencing a bit of culture shock. Years back the city grew out into this region and incorporated most of it.

Note that I said "most."

Anyway, now they have put up one of those medium-density cheek-to-jowl yuppie housing developments on some of the land that backs up against a rail line. This is in the City. On the opposite side are some old-fashioned, low-density multi-acre parcels of land. These are in the County. Different governments, different ordinances, different law enforcement entities.

Well, one of the good ole boys that lives out there has a shooting range in his back yard. Near as I can tell he's pretty safe about it, seems to have a nice backstop, etc, and is not violating any county rules about distances from inhabited dwellings, etc etc etc.

But boy, we can sure tell when he is out practicing, from all of the panicked phone calls we get from the yuppies that just moved into this development. :rolleyes:

I try to be polite when I tell them that, sir, the gentleman in question lives in Public County, and he is breaking no laws, He's just shooting his guns, You can do that in the County.

Most of them get it and nod...they just have no experience with hearing gunshots and wanted to make sure that its OK. Once they've been told, we never hear from them again. They get it.

A few of them...don't.

"You can't just step out your back door and shoot a gun!" yes, actually, you can. "I don't want my children growing up around this!" Perhaps you should consider relocating. "If you're not going to do anything about this, I'll just call the Sheriff." Well, I'm not, so perhaps you should. "Have you even talked to him?" No. He's not doing anything wrong. "What if my house gets hit with a bullet?" We'll cross that bridge if it happens. "What if my child gets hit with a bullet?" Call 911. "Thats it? Call 911?" Yup. I wouldn't worry about it. He's been shooting there for years and all of his neighbors are still alive, and are still his neighbors. "I just don't like hearing gunfire near my house." I understand. Is there anything else I can do for you, sir?

:rolleyes:

He called the sheriff and the deputy that responded, grudgingly, to his house told him to write his legislator. :D He then called me and told me to keep my peeps in check. :D

Mike

Edit:I just remembered the thread title. He's doing this shooting in the late afternoon, early evening. Not at night. At night it might be borderline un-neighborly to do this...but still probably not illegal. And I've been there when he caps off a round or two. he's not that close, and its not that loud. Whiney frikken people.

TexasVet
May 16, 2003, 12:14 AM
Well, tonight, it's gonna be me.:D The neighbor lady wants me to sit behind her house tonight after midnight to get "that blamed white mongrel that's getting a chicken a night offen me!"

QuarterBoreGunner
May 16, 2003, 12:19 AM
P95Carry- man if you can write the rest of that song, I'd love to hear it.

Matt G
May 16, 2003, 05:23 AM
Oh. "Strangers In The Night." For some reason I was trying to make it work to "Fly Me To the Moon", and it just wouldn't. :D

Gunshots in the night
I'm hearing firearms.
Gunshots in the night
Should I be alarmed?
Are these that kind of sound
That merit report?

Gunshots in the night
I'm getting worried.
Gunshots in the night
Should I have hurried
To cry "help" on 911,
Or fire my own retort?

P95Carry
May 16, 2003, 05:21 PM
QBG ..... IIRC, the ''Strangers in the night'' music has a short and a long section, alternating ..... on that basis I offer a bit more ... scans in my head to my music but whether it works for others I know not. Only ''cobbled'' together anyways .. needs tidied up! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gun shots in the night
They're making noises
Are they wrong or right
For taking chances
Do you call the cops
Or simply let it be?

Gun shots in the night
The noise is deafening
Gunshots in the night
Give me some prozacs
When I get to bed
I really wanna sleep
And so the noise I hear
Is only gonna wake me up, and sooo ....

<change of key>

Gun shots in the night
Some dude is plinking
Rim or center-fire
I really know not
What's it matter now
I just wanna sleep.

Gun shots in the night
It's sport or murder
Gunshots in the night
Should I go join in
Now I'm all awake
I might as well go play some
And have me some fun -
It's only gun shots in the night.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 16, 2003, 05:40 PM
LOL :D

I think we have a keeper.

now that melody is in my head...dooby dooby doo...

HABU
May 16, 2003, 08:07 PM
What about the possum?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun shot/shots - in the night" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!