Accidentally bought this at auction

PDA

parmamoon
September 27, 2006, 11:39 PM

45496I have a hard time following those auctioneers when they get rolling.
I may even have possibly outbid myself at one point during the maylay:cuss: . But, in the end, he pointed at me and said [B]SOLD to #44 for $60 ![B] I sure understood that:D
Can anyone suggest a ball size and powder load?
This gun was tagged as a .32 so I'm assuming it's a pocket .31
I will be shooting Clear Shot FFG, as I have some that needs using.
The muzzle of this gun does not appear to have a crown but it does have a nasty gouge as seen in pic's. Is this cause for concern?
One of the six pins located on the rear of the cylinder between the nipples is missing but does not seem to affect the function of the gun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Accidentally bought this at auction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wuchak
September 27, 2006, 11:42 PM
I'll bet it shoots low and to the right.:)

Smokin_Gun
September 28, 2006, 03:35 AM
I'll guess it's an 1848 Baby Dragoon with a Brass frame .31 cal. by ASM (Armi San Marco) tThe square back trigger guard denotes it to be an 1848 and not 1849 Colt. If you see any letters and numbers on the side of the frame I can tell you what year it was made. (example XX9 is 1973) Good price good little gun I like um.

arcticap
September 28, 2006, 11:03 AM
Did a black powder forum search for ".31" on THR:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=194108&highlight=.31

There are more threads for you to research.

Regarding the gun's condition, you might want to post your pictures and ask Jules, the BP revolver gunsmithing expert at
http://www.bigironbarrels.com/forum/index.php :D

mp510
September 28, 2006, 02:32 PM
That's a nifty little piece:)

RyanM
September 28, 2006, 08:50 PM
Well, that muzzle crown is "interesting."

parmamoon
September 28, 2006, 11:12 PM
If you see any letters and numbers on the side of the frame I can tell you what year it was made.
O.K. Here goes;
On the butt the letters "PR" overlap follwed by "FTE italy"
on the right side of the grip frame ahead of the trigger is what looks like a sheild with somthing crossed in it, oars maybe ?, over top of that is what looks like a wreath around a star. next to that is the wreath/star again over the letters "PN". then there is a rectangle around "AA".

The first 2 symbols are repeated again ahead of the barrel wedge.

On the underside just ahead of the grip frame "A" is stamped over "524".

Articap;
I will follow your suggestion and post to Big Iron in the next few days after I get some better pic's.

If you enjoyed reading about "Accidentally bought this at auction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!