Value of a M1903 .22lr Trainer

PDA

stephenb
September 27, 2006, 11:59 PM
I have been searching but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know how much a M1903 .22 long rifle trainer would be worth? I am trying to figure out how rare they are and pretty much learn anything I can about them...

From what I can tell, it is probably the Hoffer-Thompson practice/training rifle. It has the same bolt pull length as a regular Rem. '03 and the same sights. It does not have any of the stripper clips that I found depicted here:
http://m1903.com/odd1903/

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of a M1903 .22lr Trainer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MechAg94
September 28, 2006, 09:07 AM
...there was one?....
I wouldn't have any idea, but thanks for the link.

nbkky71
September 28, 2006, 03:12 PM
The 1903 M2 .22 trainer.

Someone posted these pics from jouster.com
http://scottyparker.com/M2_22_cal/my_first_m2_22_cal.htm

One of the gentlemen at our club sold his for $900

Radamanthus
September 28, 2006, 03:25 PM
I was at the Glendale Gun Show a while back, and I talked to a guy who was selling one. He said the lowest price he ever saw for one was around $1200. He had one that was basically perfect except for some nicks in the stock, and was selling it at $1400. He said perfect ones go for a lot more.

stephenb
September 28, 2006, 05:35 PM
The link that nbkky71 posted looks exactly like what I am trying to get from my Gramps. The sling isn't in quite as good of condition, but the metal and wood are in great condition which is surprising since it has been stored in his attic for the last 15+ years. The bolt is tight and it looks as though it hasn't seen much use.

How would you go about cleaning it up so the bolt slides more smoothly? Is this a gun you guys would keep in the safe or take out and shoot? It seems like a great way to practice my holds and all but at a fraction of the cost since a brick of .22 ammo is a fraction of what it costs to shoot 30-06.

Any other info on the gun would be much appreciated...

What is the jouster.com site? I had trouble searching it for mention of the above link.

Jim Watson
September 28, 2006, 05:48 PM
My Springfield book is loaned out so I can't look up details for you, but the 1922 M2 Springfield .22 is a wonderful rifle. Big, strong, and accurate. I used to have one, sold it to a collector, and now know the shooter who bought it from his estate. He uses it for full size gun practice; says it feels better than his other .22s however nice.

You need to do some close looking, there are several variants.
1922, 1922 MI, 1922 M2, and 1922 MII; the last an MI brought up to M2 standard and remarked.

The Hoffer Thompson subchamber gun is an interesting gimmick for collectors but would not be as good a shooter. For one thing, the inserts are for .22 Short. For another, a collector would pay enough for one to buy about any .22 lr you wanted.

I can't think of anything to do to smooth up one that hadn't been used in 15 years except to clean and lube it thoroughly. Those rifles were as well made as anything in the world at the time.

stephenb
September 28, 2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks Jim.

I will check out the markings this weekend and let ya'll know what I find.

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of a M1903 .22lr Trainer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!