If the AWB sunsets, what will it do in Kali?

PDA

50 Freak
May 13, 2003, 09:44 PM
Will we be able to get anything cool? How about mags?

Or are we screwed?

If you enjoyed reading about "If the AWB sunsets, what will it do in Kali?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sactown
May 13, 2003, 09:50 PM
I think we're still screwed. We've got our own little banana republic going on here led by the Demos. Gotta remember that our "leadership" isn't like the rest of the nation.

Ewok
May 13, 2003, 09:55 PM
It would take either a SCOTUS ruling, or a law establishing federal preemption, to kill the Caliban.

Schuey2002
May 13, 2003, 09:56 PM
Or are we screwed?
Yeeee-up.:uhoh:

QuarterBoreGunner
May 13, 2003, 09:58 PM
It won’t affect us at all. We have the ’89 Roberti Roos ban and then had SB23 in 2000. Now if those were rescinded (yeah right) then we’d be in an interesting spot.

I won’t hold my breath.

Schuey2002
May 13, 2003, 10:01 PM
This from a state where they are trying to ban Oreo cookies..:rolleyes:

AR-10
May 13, 2003, 10:06 PM
They are currently trying to ban Oreo cookies.:rolleyes:

Not sure I would expect them to repeal any gun laws unless they are forced to.

50 Freak
May 13, 2003, 10:30 PM
someone said that we would be able to put all the nice little pistol grips/flash suppressors/ attachments on our postban guns....Is that true??????

Bowlcut
May 13, 2003, 10:36 PM
Guess its a sacrafice you have to make to live with such high class and high standing famous people :rolleyes: Kick out those lousy hollywood types and get ya guns a blazing :D

50 Freak
May 13, 2003, 10:45 PM
The only thing good about this freaking state is the high salaries, good weather, great beaches, mountains, deserts, forests, and beautiful women. But to live here all we have to put up with is the crappy politicians and crappy gun laws. Good thing I saw the writing on the wall and pretty much got all the toys I wanted first.

Bowlcut
May 13, 2003, 10:58 PM
See what the answer to that whole issue is.....

Dont live in Kali

But visit there while you live in a near by state :D. I can say Tn has pretty land, decent laws, pretty decent weather, and our women....are interesting at times :p

Standing Wolf
May 13, 2003, 11:42 PM
I miss the beaches and mild weather; in all other respects, however, I miss the People's Republic of California about 1% as much as a migraine head ache.

If the A.W.B. ban is allowed to fade into hysterical history, the P.R.C. will obviously have to think up new firearms to prevent law-abiding American citizens from owning.

Sactown
May 14, 2003, 01:12 AM
How about we switch this around. All the common sense people move to Kali and help vote out the crazy politicians.....yeah right. :scrutiny:

twoblink
May 14, 2003, 01:21 AM
Sactown,

How are you typing "common sense" and "move to Kali" in the same sentence??:scrutiny:

The way I see it, there are only 2 problems in the PRK..

LA
SF

Get rid of those two, and it's a great place to live!

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 01:22 AM
Kali appears screwed even if it sunsets. So move to a better state, like Alabama. :)

50 Freak
May 14, 2003, 01:32 AM
Why is it as soon as someone posts something about CA, everyone and their mother chimes in on how sucky CA is.

Granted we gun freaks in Ca know how screwed up our politicians and laws are, there are many of us that are trying to change things.

Honestly why don't you other people keep your opinions to yourself. Your not helping the situation with "just leave Kali" crap, maybe some of us have families here, or just maybe we love this state and don't want to run with our tails between our legs.

After all, how many of you people out there can say you feel your state is as "free" as it was say 10 years ago. Remember New York, Hawaii and DC aren't very much far behind Ca.

So please stop with the "Kali sucks" comments. We here behind the Iron Curtain don't need to be reminded how bad some things are. We know and we are trying to change it.

Lastly, I do like the idea of getting rid of LA and SF. If that were to happen, I honestly believe CA would again join the Union.

Tamara
May 14, 2003, 01:35 AM
Besides, think of all the money you could make there if you go into the Oreo smuggling business... ;)

50 Freak
May 14, 2003, 01:40 AM
Some people just need to be shot.

I'm referring to the idiot who filed that lawsuit.

At least we don't marry our cousins out here.:p:neener: :evil: :what:

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 01:43 AM
Honestly why don't you other people keep your opinions to yourself.

Follow your own advice. :D

I wouldn't move from Alabama if they banned every weapon on the planet here. It's my home. But given the appearant trend of California never removing the politicians that enact such laws, moving might not be a bad idea. If all the gun owners in California moved out and gun owners stopped supporting the state/visiting then that might be a wake-up call. Even frothing liberal politicians would rather see guns in place than lose their "power".

And just remember, many people who say that you should move are just joking. It's all in good fun.

CGofMP
May 14, 2003, 01:51 AM
California DOES suck.. whether or not others tell us what we already know or not.

We will indeed (IMHO) still have a total ban on so called Assault Weapons. We have STATE law to contend with on this.

Now if the Miller decission gets overturned (which I'd pray for but do not believe will occur) then Yea we may have a hope in H.... However living here all my life has left such an awful taste in my mouth that I'll never get over the "Get me the H out of here" attitude I have developed until I find a job - anyplace but here.

Trapped in the Silicon Sewer - Charles

:fire:

Number 6
May 14, 2003, 02:04 AM
Unlike other California residents I am not as pessimistic about our plight here. If the AW ban dies then there MAY be some benefit to Californians. Firstly California would lose a valuable political ally, the federal government. It is no coincidence that CA is the only state that will not allow the sale of any magazines over 10 rounds which is the limit set by the AW ban. This may then put pressure upon the state government since the amount of new high capacity magazines in the surrounding states will reach staggering quantities and some of these will find their way into CA. An economic argument may also be made but I do not know enough about the CA tax structure and the gun corporations to make a cogent argument.

Secondly with the death of the AW ban there is a significant political precedent set. With the federal government essentially changing policies CA is then left somewhat by itself. It is far easier to pass a state law when the federal government has passed similar laws. When the federal government does not necessarily support the state laws the state will lose some of its legitimacy.

Thirdly some of the major advocates of the AW ban are also the same people who advocate gun laws in CA. The defeat of the AW ban will be a demoralizing defeat that will cause a loss of legitimacy.

I am not saying that the CA gun laws will go away but more that the death of the AW ban can put some pressure on CA to reform its own laws.

Schuey2002
May 14, 2003, 02:06 AM
Besides, think of all the money you could make there if you go into the Oreo smuggling business..
You know, maybe I ought to set up an Oreo cookie stand on this side of the OR/CAL border and rake in some serious money..

.. to spend on guns, of course.;)

50 Freak
May 14, 2003, 02:20 AM
Actually those stuck in CA with me, have you noticed recently the swing of the media towards a more gun friendly attitude.

As evidence I present

http://sfgate.com/columnists/sparks/

The Author is Adam Sparks and he writes for the SF Chronicle (Yes I said the San Francisco Chronicle). I wrote him a thank you e-mail for this article, and he told me to pass a link to it to as many people as I could.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 12:29 PM
*sigh* Yet more 'if we could only get rid of San Francisco and Los Angeles, California would be perfect'.

Usually spoken by people that don't live there and have formed their opinions second or third hand.

Look guys, I know SF is the figurehead scapegoat, but let's be honest, what you really mean is 'let's get rid of the Bay Area and Los Angeles' that means San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Campbell, Palo Alto, Mountain View, San Mateo, Oakland, Fremont...

Ok so we wave our magic wand and *poof* all gone. Are we really better off now? I'd really hate to live in the central valley for the rest of my life.

Yes, San Francisco is a weird place to live; I can't even begin to describe city politics- but this is my city, and I love it. Wouldn't live anywhere else.

Yes, the enviroment for gun-owners is not the best, but still better than some. Washington DC anyone? Some of us are working very hard to make a change. Hell, Jim March is the most active political animal I know, and guess where he lives?

Look at it this way, we have more incentive to be political because we KNOW how bad it can be with restrictive and illogical gun laws.

Just, please, leave the SF and LA bashing out of it. There's no need and it adds nothing to the discussion.

CZ-75
May 14, 2003, 12:41 PM
The only thing good about this freaking state is the high salaries,

Quick question - does this mean much when you have high taxes and a high cost of living?

When a cup of coffee is six bucks and garbage men earn close to six figures, does that really mean that guy is better off than where garbage men earn a third as much and coffee costs $2?

HankB
May 14, 2003, 12:54 PM
. . . the amount of new high capacity magazines in the surrounding states will reach staggering quantities and some of these will find their way into CA. Uh oh . . . maybe Kali will try to put border security checkpoints up and restrict travel across their northern and eastern borders. (It would be an anti-diversity action to guard their southern border.)

Penforhire
May 14, 2003, 01:21 PM
I'm still crying in my beer. We live in a Democrat state. I suspect the continued influx of illegals from down south will do nothing but firm up that Dem bias, heavy *sigh*.

What we need are Federal financial incentives to match firearms laws, like the DOT incentives for the national speed limit. That would give us a fighting chance.

Labinnac
May 14, 2003, 01:25 PM
They're just going to limit the size of the packages to 10 cookies or less, you'll have to wait 30 days before you can buy your next package of 10...

I read a headline while browsing the news this morning. It read something like "CA has higher percentage of autism than expected." I didn't ready the article, but I thought the title was pretty funny. Not that autism itself is funny, that's not what I mean. I do wonder how many of the parents of autistic children are Dems though?

CGofMP
May 14, 2003, 02:38 PM
Sky High Salaries ....

2 points:

1) Not everyone has them - I sure do not - not by a long shot

and

2) Cost of living is astronomical. Try finding a house in Silicon Valley for less than 500 thousand dollars in an area of any decency.

Add to that the abysmal politics, plastic people, and you have an amazing kaledescope of drek and feces all in one place.

Charles

PS: The Oreo story is true. Some Marin County lawyer wants to file suit to attempt to ban selling Oreos to Children. This is not bullplop either! THIS is the mentality of our lovely state. "It's someone elses fault if my kid gets fat." ergo "It's someone elses responsibility to take care of me - cradle to grave" ergo "If the police-state is to take care of me they need more power and everyone else needs less rights".

BerettaNut92
May 14, 2003, 03:36 PM
We're doomed anyway, why bother asking? :cuss:

Sven
May 14, 2003, 03:38 PM
Charles, Skunk,

Why the hell are we still here? Really.

-s

50 Freak
May 14, 2003, 03:47 PM
HELLOOOOOO

EARTH to HIGHROAD.ORG.

Okay this is getting ridiculous, I asked a question about whether or not the AWB sunseting would have any effect on CA. I know I got a little into this "Kali Sucks" discussion, but can someone please answer my question. If not, I'm going to delete the original thread, all this has been hashed out before, we are just wasting space.

P.S. I've got my tickets to see MATRIX tonight, anyone else in the Bay Area going?????? Daly city has a 10 pm showing (Wed)

CGofMP
May 14, 2003, 03:48 PM
Ya know Sven thats a really good question... probably has something to do with the old thing about boiling a frog. Being complacent, having a job, that sort of thing.

Someday.. Someday...

I'm not picky about weather really, in fact the nearly-one-season-all-year to me is a detraction... I guess in truth it is mostly about work. I have very specific requirements for a job, things I want available to myself and my family and my job offers that. Also the work that I do is not really done in too many places... and I am unsure of how well I'd work into another career (though I am sure thats internal talk not based in reality)

Beyond that I really do not have a reason to be here.

Someday... Someday...

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 03:54 PM
50 freak- the AWB sunset won't have any effect on us here. We have several state regs. that are/will be in effect:

the '89 Roberti/Roos ban and the 2000 SB23 ban.

We're stuck with those even if the Federal ban goes bye bye.

50 Freak
May 14, 2003, 04:12 PM
With the AWB sunseting, will we be allowed to put all the evil assesories on our grandfathered ARs, AKs, etc?????

CGofMP
May 14, 2003, 04:23 PM
Again.. this is highly doubtful. You are dealing with 2 different sets of laws. Right now we are unable to buy so-called AW because of TWO laws. One Federal one State.

If the federal law goes away then the state law which constricts our freedom to put on flash hiders and bayonet lugs sis STILL in effect.

Charles

munk
May 14, 2003, 04:28 PM
50 Freak; I lived in Ca over 30 years. I'm glad I'm out, but I agree with you about making the State a whipping boy. Why? Because unless something changes, the overall trend in this country is to continue limiting weapons. Oh, I know there have been some inroads. I know we have shall issue laws in many states.

Today, for instance, in Montana and Idaho and Wyoming I still hear, "why do you need a weapon like that?" Give it another generation or two. "Why do you need a weapon at all?"

I hope I'm wrong.

When I moved out of State Cal sent me a letter threatening criminal action unless I paid them for vehicle registration. I'd been gone over a year.
Feinstein closed my beloved Mojave desert. There is a third world nation now running from LA to Sacramento. And when Gray Davis speaks nationally on economics, I'm embarressed for all of us. The worst thing about Ca and all overpopulated areas is the feeling there is no where to go, no where to hide, no where for a little peace. I couldn't keep track of all the regulations 10 years ago.

I salute all you brave individualists still alive and well there.

munk

Russ
May 14, 2003, 04:30 PM
If the federal AWB sunsets, it will do nothing to the draconian laws now facing you in the PRK. It was only because Diane Frankenstein got elected to Congress that the Roberti-Roos law got shoved down everyone's throat when Clintoon was President. Now the PRK's law is much more onerous. Whereas before you could still get guns that came close, you can't have anything now.

Unless the SCOTUS declares the CA AWB unconstitutional or the people in the state get some legislators to change the laws, you will continue as you are now. No evil looking black guns that shoot more than 10 rounds for you.

When you think of it, it may not matter too much if the 10 cent per round "fee" passes. You won't be able to afford to shoot anything anyway.

I lived in California for a long time and it just makes me sick to see what has happened to the 2nd Amendment there. While the AWB was signed by Puekmejian (yes I know I spelled it incorrectly) the worst of it has come since that slime Davis has come to power.

Recall that SOB if you can and then get the PRK's Constitution changed. That way alot of the laws will go away. The PRK's Constitution has no equivalent to the 2A in it and that's how they are pulling this garbage.

45R
May 14, 2003, 04:32 PM
CA is banning Oreos because of the its an "Evil Black Cookie" due to "dangerous trans fatty acids" Hello anyone read the labels on artificial sweetners.....Given in high doses has been known to cause cancer in lab rats............

I cant believe my tax money is going to this BS:fire: :fire:

I sure hope that we can turn the laws around in CA. Not having much choices with semi auto .223 and .308 is killen me.

munk
May 14, 2003, 04:40 PM
I would like to see the US divided into two associated federations who speak with one voice internationally. The two Coasts, Minn, Flor, Co, NM, a few more, could be the liberal Federation. The more conservative Federation could reassert the orginal Bill of Rights. We'd need a seaport so hopefully Texas is with us.

munk

Gordon Fink
May 14, 2003, 04:44 PM
If the federal ban on so-called assault weapons sunsets, I suspect full-capacity magazines will become much more plentiful in California. This assumes that new magazines are not given serial numbers or other markings by manufacturers to identify them as “post-ban” products. Of course, then the California legislature will probably try to outlaw them completely.

~G. Fink

50 Freak
May 14, 2003, 04:45 PM
45R,

I agree, when the only real choses for a 223 is a Mini-14 and a 308 is a M1A (not that they are bad). Thing are pretty bad here.

But I really do believe that things are are changing for the better here. Like I said in a previous post, I do see a change in the media bias on gun reporting.

With Boxer up for re-election next year and Davis facing recall (not to mention being a lame duck governor) I think maybe we have a chance to change things here. After all look at the Senate and House, finally Republican after something like 40 plus years of being controlled by the Demicraps. Maybe there will be a scotus decision and we will enjoy all the freedom the other 46 something states out there enjoy.

I myself try to take as many non-gunners out shooting with me, and so far have made alot of converts. Heck my family-in-laws once believed that guns should only belong to cops once before, but now my wife is a crack shot with a G23, and a Benelli M3.

Who knows where the winds of change will take us.

45R how about meeting for a shoot at the Yolo again sometime during the weekend?

TechBrute
May 14, 2003, 05:20 PM
I just moved from the PRK. I couldn't take living in a state where it was easier to get drugs than guns.

Soon you'll be able to get MJ from the grocery store, and have to hit up your dealer for Oreos and handguns.

Maybe Oreos will be the new underground name for assult weapons.

If you enjoyed reading about "If the AWB sunsets, what will it do in Kali?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!