New coachgun, but...

PDA

Vairochana
September 28, 2006, 05:08 AM
Gday, i picked up a new 2nd hand shotgun today, trouble is there is a crack through the stock making replacing it necessary(the crack wasn't visible in the lighting at the store).
I don't want to take it back for a replacement as it is a TOZ 66 with working hammers.
What I do want to know is the best way to repair it- is it easy to get a replacement for this 30-40 yo gun? The stock will have to be shaped around the lock-the hammer mechanism is exactly like a flint or caplock.
I don't have photos yet but I will take some if people are interested.
BTW I am taking it back to the shop tommorow to see what they can offer.

If you enjoyed reading about "New coachgun, but..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1 old 0311
September 28, 2006, 06:45 AM
Try gunpartscorporation or gunbrooker.

HiWayMan
September 28, 2006, 08:16 AM
Depending on the depth and width of the crack it may be possible to inject it full of epoxy. I have repaired one stock like this myself and seen several others done as well. The stock won't neccessarily win any prizes in the looks department, but it will be completely functional.

Onmilo
September 28, 2006, 09:43 AM
I use Accra Glass from Brownells to repair stock splits, cracks. and chunk missing repairs all the time.
If it is done right the repair is all but invisible.
A bad crack may require pinning with brass pins but there are ways to hide these repairs too,(God bless wooden toothpicks).

http://www.brownells.com

Vairochana
September 28, 2006, 05:28 PM
The crack is the wholr way through the stock-it is actually in two parts- held together by the tang assembly and sidelocks- will prolly have to get a new on, just not sur how to go about it for such an old, foreign gun.

Car Knocker
September 28, 2006, 05:32 PM
If the stock is not repairable and a replacement is not available, the damaged stock can be glued together and used as a pattern for a woodshop with a duplicator to make a new one.

Fred Fuller
September 28, 2006, 07:06 PM
G'day!

Try some good epoxy, and brass wood screws that are long enough to have threads on both sides of the crack. Run the screws into pilot holes that have epoxy in them also. Trim off any part of the screws that protrude even with the surface of the stock and refinish the whole thing. A few brass dots won't detract a lot from the appearance of the stock, and should strengthen it enough to hold up to general use.

Inletting a double stock to fit around sidelocks is a genuine pain.

lpl/nc

Gordon
September 28, 2006, 07:45 PM
I know the stock. Mine didn't crack in 30 years because I kept the bolts snuged up, though grain structure and the amount of moisture in the air plays a part.I doubt you will find another stock. Do CAREFULLY what Lee said. If break is on the tang you can then shrink on a rawhide wrap like our great grandfathers always did. The Brits liked copper wire wrap, I DON't . Actually after repairing the stock one COULD laminate on a few layers of fiberglass cloth, if you want strong and ugly!

Vairochana
September 29, 2006, 03:52 AM
Gday all- Thanks for your thoughts.
I am seeing a fella on Sat morning who is a bit of an expert on these, he has a bit of a reputation, so I am hoping to salvage the stock.
I could have exchanged it for another 2nd hand gun, but this one has a character and charm i am unable to resist- I am sure a few of you know what I mean. :)

Vairochana
September 30, 2006, 02:54 AM
Gday- I took my coach gun to the recomended fella this morning, he took a look at it and made encouraging noises. He said that due to the shape and location of the break he thought a fix was very possible. His solution was pretty much what Lee Lapin suggested above, and i have more faith in his ability than mine (I am an accupuncturist, not a carpenter) and best of all he can do it in a week:)
So thanks all for your help, I will let you know how it goes and post pics when it is all done, might even let you know how it shoots

If you enjoyed reading about "New coachgun, but..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!