Barrel and choke choices for clays.

PDA

BoomStick82
September 28, 2006, 11:50 AM
Hey all, I just have a couple of quick questions. I'm hoping to learn how to shoot some clays here, and was wondering which barrel I should take. I have an 18.5" with chokes, as well as a ported 28" with chokes for my mossberg 500. I only have IC and Modified chokes right now, should I get some others?

Finally, is there anyone in the mid-missouri (Jefferson City - Columbia) area that would like to show me the basics?

Thanks,
BoomStick82

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel and choke choices for clays." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TrapperReady
September 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
For clays, a 28"-32" barrel seems optimal for most people. At a beginning stage, I'd screw in the IC tube and from then on not worry about choke (although if you're only shooting trap, the MOD may work better).

BoomStick82
September 28, 2006, 04:41 PM
I know the length is good, but I'm concerned about the porting causing a problem.

BoomStick82

TrapperReady
September 28, 2006, 04:52 PM
There are lots of ported guns used for clays. The Browning 425 I've used for years came with factory porting. We even added porting to my wife's O/U when we had a bunch of other work done. I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't use a ported gun in a duck blind with other hunters, but for shooting targets, I think it's fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel and choke choices for clays." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!