Training

PDA

SecuritySixShooter
September 28, 2006, 05:34 PM
So I am still a relatively new guy to the world of the shotgun. I was wondering where I could gain some knowledge. I am also looking for training, specifically in the art of home defense. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SSS

If you enjoyed reading about "Training" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
September 28, 2006, 05:41 PM
New to shotguns:

Archives are great here.
Also order a copy of Shotgunning: The Art and Science - by Bob Brister.

Training : Again check archives/ do a search under usernames Dave McCracken, Erik Gelhaus, Gordon, Lee Lapin for starters. Reviews have been given.

Trainers such as Randy Cain, Mas Ayoob, Tom Givens, Paul Gomez , Lewis Awerbuck for starters. Again search engine will turn up reviews of these trainers/classes.

S.W.A.T magazine is another source, back issues are available through on-line store.

HTH

Fred Fuller
September 28, 2006, 07:46 PM
Probably the most overlooked, best and most available source for beginner level training is a hunter safety course. Check with your local fish and game office for schedules in your area.

Also widely available is NRA training from certified instructors- go to http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/basictraining.asp and see what classes are available near you. Particularly look for basic shotgun, home firearm safety, personal protection etc.

Look in the 'Lending Library' thread at the top of the index page for the Shotgun Forum and ask to get the Louis Awerbuck tape sent to you. All you have to do is mail it on to the next person who asks for it when you're done.

Ask at your local gunstores, pawn shops, etc. and see if anyone in your area is offering training. There are some good local instructors here and there, you might have one near you. And see if there are any of the professional full-time itenerant training schools that will be offering classes near you. Many world-class instructors travel and teach classes all over the country, it could be one of them will be close enough for you to take advantage of.

Remember- crawl, walk, run.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc

If you enjoyed reading about "Training" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!