a comparison please

PDA

btsyshsbnd
September 28, 2006, 08:48 PM
I'm 53 yrs old and have M.S. I've owned 9mm pistols starting with a Walther P-38 (I still kick myself for letting that one get away) I now own a Taurus PT 92 in ss that I love. I can handle the 9mm recoil and I know where the '92 is going to put the slug. I've been considering getting a .45 but I'm unsure if I can handle the recoil. I've been told everything from there's no difference in recoil from the 9 to the recoil will break my wrist. The only person I know who owns a 1911 is a jerk (actually he's much worse) so I don't really have a way to test one out before hand so my question to anyone with experience with both calibers is this: On a scale of one to ten where would you rate the recoil of a full size 1911 and a full size (beretta or taraus) 9mm? thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "a comparison please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bazooka Joe71
September 28, 2006, 08:55 PM
Granted, I'm a big boy, but in my humble experience with full size 1911's, I don't think there is much recoil at all. The size and weight of a .45 ACP Stainless 1911 takes a huge portion of the recoil away.

Hazzard
September 28, 2006, 09:46 PM
The .45 has a different recoil from the 9mm or 40. It's a slow heavy slug so it has less snap to the recoil. It's more like a heavy push. My daughter (105 lbs?) handles mine with ease. Unfortunately, in order to rate the recoil, we need a baseline like 1=22lr and 10=454 casull.

10-Ring
September 28, 2006, 10:10 PM
Recoil in the 9mm & 45 acp is not better or worse...just diff't. The 45 acp is more of a push while the 9 mm is more of a rolling snap
Plus the 45 can be loaded in many diff't ways. You could go w/ something less powerful & less recoil to better suit your needs.

If you enjoyed reading about "a comparison please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!