best folding stock?

PDA

telomerase
September 28, 2006, 10:45 PM
Who makes the best folding stock for pumps?

If you enjoyed reading about "best folding stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
September 28, 2006, 11:23 PM
I like a Butler Creek, and I have one for sale with a Win 1300. What brand are you looking for one for.

Gordon
September 28, 2006, 11:42 PM
I think the Choate side folder is the only one that doesn't hurt when fired! Clears a Side Saddle too! Now they need to make it 2" shorter!:cool:

Skookumchuk
September 30, 2006, 01:40 AM
I'll let you know in about a month. I'm experimenting with the Choate top-folder and the Butler Creek side-folder for my Alaska 870 camp gun project. The Choate seems very well built, simple, easy to take apart, but the "recoil pad" is just a small metal frame covered with rubber. I've peeled off the rubber and am installing a black Pachmayr English style shotgun buttplate secured with machine screws, fender washers and nuts. It actually looks pretty good and while thin, it is much longer and wider and may distribute the recoil forces a bit better.

The stainless Butler Creek side-folder which I got from Omega is also nice, though again, the recoil pad is very small and narrow, smaller than a youth pad. So next I'll grind down a Kick-Eez so that it is just narrow enough to fit when the stock is closed, but still long enough and thick enough to absorb more of the recoil. I may have to cut the back end of the forend down a bit for the thick pad to fit when folded. That is the theory anyway.

We'll see how many Brennekes I can fire before I'm black and blue and then compare, just to make it scientific and all. :rolleyes:

I chose these two over the Knoxx top folder simply because I can take them both completely apart, clean and easily reassemble them. I figure the simpler the better.

Thin Black Line
September 30, 2006, 08:47 AM
I think the Choate side folder is the only one that doesn't hurt when fired!

This looks similar to one I added on in Iraq, but could carry 3 shells in
the end of the stock. It was tossed in with a care package after I told
some ppl back home I was carrying an M500. It was comfortable
to shoot, but the folding pin came loose after the set screw slipped a
few times. I had to do some extra "work" on the original parts to get
it to hold together, which it did without a problem across Iraq. However,
I'm surprised that the factory did not do what I did in the first place to
improve their product. It would have been a 30 second job for someone
with a power tool at the factory unlike me w/ not-so-appropriate handtools.

Although the 3 shell carrier looked cool, it was a total B to pull the shells
out of it. It was too tight even for my bumpy travels. I had a side saddle
which was great --and a couple dump pouches for my quadruple combat
load.

Another soldier used the M4 style stock on his M500 and he loved it. I
liked the side folder because it was even more compact and good for
vehicles.

Glockman17366
September 30, 2006, 09:39 AM
Take a look at the Knoxx Copstock
You can see it here: http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/COPstock.htm

This one is not only a folder, but reduces recoil as well. It makes 00 buck fairly comfortable to shoot.

I installed this one a Mossy 500 Persuader. I can't shoot it one handed (like it shows on the Knoxx website), but that's my problem. As far as the reduced recoil, it really does work. I compare the recoil to an SKS rifle (using factory 00 buckshot).

telomerase
September 30, 2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the first-hand info. Sounds like there are several usable choices.

Stinkyshoe
October 1, 2006, 01:40 AM
I've heard good stuff about Knoxx. I'll know soon when I shoot mine.

camacho
October 1, 2006, 11:57 AM
I also got the Knoxx failry recently but have not tried it yet. Will post when that happens (in a couple of weeks most likely). Their stocks look very promising.

The Deer Hunter
October 1, 2006, 01:04 PM
This is pretty tacticool, looks a bit like a spas 12

DontBurnMyFlag
October 1, 2006, 01:17 PM
definately go with the Knoxx COPStock. Its amazing. I have on my Mossberg 500 and its a blast. The only problem is if you were going to put a sight on your shotgun since its a top folding stock.

crunker
October 2, 2006, 11:43 AM
Aye, Knoxx's COPstock certainly does reduce recoil, especially if you use it with Knoxx's Breacher's Grip (also reduces recoil). Knoxx also makes this detachable magazine adapter for Mossy 500s (though I think that they have stop being produced.)

Famine
October 2, 2006, 09:54 PM
Wait a second here...

The law says there has to be so many inches of stock on a gun and meet a certain length. Does that still apply if the stock is folded ontop the gun?

And, Knoxx says that with this pistol grip can be held with one hand while firing 00 Buck?!?!

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/images/NewCOPxray.jpg

Last time I shot 00 Buck, I remember thinking to myself, "Self, there is no way you could fire this with one hand."

wdlsguy
October 2, 2006, 10:01 PM
The law says there has to be so many inches of stock on a gun and meet a certain length.
The law specifies minimum barrel lengths (16" for rifles, 18" for shotgun) and a minimum overall length (26") which is measured with the stock extended.

Famine
October 2, 2006, 10:12 PM
I'm not seeing a big difference between the COPstock and the SpecOps Folder. Can anyone shed some light on this?

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/ProductReview.htm

Famine
October 3, 2006, 04:08 PM
Okay, I'd really like someone to chime in here if you have fired 00 Buck single handed , arm extended with the COPstock. Their web page says it can be done. I need to know this isn't BS before I order one to find out for myself.:confused:

carpediem
October 3, 2006, 04:38 PM
My understanding is that the Spec-Ops Folder has not yet been released whereas the Cop-Stock has been around for a while. Beyond that, I have no experience regarding the utility of either stock.

CaCrusin
October 4, 2006, 11:00 AM
Okay, I'd really like someone to chime in here if you have fired 00 Buck single handed , arm extended with the COPstock. Their web page says it can be done. I need to know this isn't BS before I order one to find out for myself.

Go back to the COPstock Web page (http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/COPstock.htm) and click on the video link. Watch a variety of shooters do the one-handed demo. I do it at every event and shoot we attend. There just isn't any pain.

CaCrusin :cool:

Famine
October 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'll have to watch those at work this week. I can't at home...really slow dial up.:uhoh: :banghead:

Biker
October 4, 2006, 01:29 PM
I just got an email from Knoxx stating that the SpecOps will be available in a folding version in about 30 days.

Biker

If you enjoyed reading about "best folding stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!