Should I Get a Mosin?

PDA

Ohio Rifleman
September 29, 2006, 12:13 AM
Hello all. My next gun purchase will likely be an M1 Garand, either from the CMP or someone I know who has one. So, besides that, I'm thinking about getting a Mosin Nagant. I've heard lots of good things about them around THR. Of course, my dad accuses me of only wanting guns like that "because they're cheap." Well, like it or not, I'm a shooter on a budget here. It will take me months before I can even think about buying a decent Garand. Anyway, down to my question, when and if I choose buy a Mosin, does anyone have any suggestions? I hear you can get good ones for under $100. How expensive is the ammunition for someone who can't reload? I know the ammo is pretty huge, almost on par with 30-06.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I Get a Mosin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer Hunter
September 29, 2006, 12:21 AM
Get one, you wont be disappointed. I aboslutely love my M44 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Mine is an all-matching 1945 model that has a mirror bright bore. Ammo is really cheap, but most of it is corrosive. I have some 180 and 200 grain softpoints for it for when I hunt. All new production ammo is non-corrosive.

You can reload for the 7.62x54R, many people do.

Don't hesitate, they are a ton of fun.

Eightball
September 29, 2006, 12:21 AM
Yes. They're cheap, fun to shoot, budget-friendly, etc. And they ar everywhere. My personal favorite is the full-size M1891/30--mine shoots ~2MOA. I got 880 rnds for $64 from www.ammunitionstore.com --great folks, numerous dealings with them.

Just make sure the lands/grooves/barrel is good. You should be able to find them at just about any gun store other than a "big box"-style store. I've seen prices anywhere from $70 to $120--only differences are how much random stuff comes with it, like the bayonet, a random oil can, and ammo pouch.

And oh yeah, mine was $70, and had all matching serials. That's normally $200.

Gord
September 29, 2006, 12:29 AM
Military surplus guns are the best bang for the buck out there, period.

Mosins and Mausers are amazing rifles. Makarovs are amazing little pistols. All are more accurate and dead reliable than they have any right to be, especially at >$300. Your dad needs to get over the Commie Potmetal Junk syndrome and try 'em out for himself before he passes judgment.

Get a Mosin; you won't be disappointed. If you have a C&R license you can have them shipped to your door for under $100; if not, your local FFL's transfer fee will bring it up to around $100-120. Still pocket change.

Ammo can be found for $60-100 per 880 rounds or thereabouts depending on where and what you buy. Bulk ammo can be ordered online at several milsurp dealer sites like jgsales.com and aimsurplus.com. The ammo is corrosive, so you need to clean ASAP after you get done shooting, but other than that there's nothing "bad" about it. You can get current-production ammo in softpoint if you choose to hunt with your Mosin, although it's pricey - not corrosive though.

They are fantastic rifles.

FTF
September 29, 2006, 12:41 AM
I have a big 1891 and a real small M38 (like an M44 w/o a bayonet). The 1891 is manageable but the M38 kicks like a MULE lol. I actually just put 20 rounds through it today and my shoulder is still a little tender. I'm going to pick up one of those rubber sleeves you put around the buttstock to help with the recoil.

BUT, they are FUN! When I shot my M38 today people were coming over from other parts of the range like "*** are you shooting??". The concussive wave and flame from the muzzle is enough to give your enemy a heart attack even if you miss by two feet. Good thing is that they are pretty accurate, so you probably wouldn't miss them at all.

I got mine from www.aimsurplus.com for like 80 or 90 bucks. Every single numbered part is matching, it was made in '43 so it may have actually been used! Get your C&R if you plan on getting into milsurps. They are cheap, but they WORK, and they pretty much always work. And, they pretty much always work well.

Everyone needs at least one Mosin. And one SKS. And one M1. And one K31.

Eightball
September 29, 2006, 12:47 AM
Everyone needs at least one Mosin. And one SKS. And one M1. And one K31.Agreed.

Now, if only K31 ammo was either cheaper, or I had the capacity to reload.....:banghead:

Jackal
September 29, 2006, 12:48 AM
Short answer. YES

Cueball
September 29, 2006, 01:19 AM
I agree, you should go ahead and get one. I would go with aimsurplus.com They have good pricing and my nagant and SKS were very nice that came from there.

Stiletto Null
September 29, 2006, 01:25 AM
Should I Get a Mosin?Yes.

Il Duca
September 29, 2006, 01:31 AM
Definately yes. Get one while they're dirt cheap. Then when you have a little more money, a K31. Then a No4 Mk1. Surplus is addictive...

selector67
September 29, 2006, 05:23 AM
If you don't mind spending a little more money, I would get an M39 Finnish mosin nagant, these are the best built and most accurate mosin's you can get.:D

MTMilitiaman
September 29, 2006, 05:26 AM
When deciding whether or not to get a new gun, I find the answer is usually yes, so that is what I go with by default.

Koobuh
September 29, 2006, 08:00 AM
This is not a matter in which you should wonder 'whether'. It is one in which you should wonder, 'how many?'.

foghornl
September 29, 2006, 09:37 AM
The correct question is "Should I get one...or two...or three...or four????"

My M-44 is a real [bad pun warning] "Blast" to shoot. With the right (or wrong!) ammo, it has a huge fireball and much noise.

I once made a guy at the next lane pack up & leave....and he was shooting a .300Win Mag....said my gun was TOO :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: LOUD!

iamkris
September 29, 2006, 10:16 AM
For a hardened battle rifle for under $100, how is the decision to get one even a decision factor.

Most of us waste more money than that on a lot of stupid things (dinner + movie + babysitter easily churns through that). And at the end, you have a piece of history and a firearm for you and the next generation.

cracked butt
September 29, 2006, 12:10 PM
Yes, by all means buy one. For $100, make sure it has a clean shiney bore and matching numbers. Don't jump on the frist one you see either, shop around, millions of these rifles were made and they vary greatly in condition.

Here's a hint: if you find a rifle in a store with a white plastic ribbon in the triggerguard (Century hang tag) look for a 'V' or especially an 'X' at the end of the rifle description code, its Century's codes for very good and excellent condition. If it has a 'V' code, be sure to check the bore for pitting before buying. I bought an 'excellent' condition prewar 91/30 a few months back that looks like new and shoots like a gem. I have several other 'very good' condition carbines and 91/30s that range from being decent shooters to junk guns with sewer pipe bores.

Ohio Rifleman
September 29, 2006, 01:36 PM
I do have an SKS I bought at a gun show, it kicks pretty hard, but it is a lot of fun to shoot. But I'd like to try a bolt gun like a Mosin. I've heard a lot of good things about places like aimsurplus.com and the like, but I'm leery about ordering guns online. The main reason being, I can't pick up and examine the rifle with my own hands and eyeballs before I decide to buy it. Maybe I could find one at a gun show? Oh, by the way, I think once at the range, I saw someone with a Mosin, and...wow. :what: I actually both heard the blast, but also felt it in my chest. Guns like the Mosin are a big reason why you have to wear ear protection...of course, you should even if you're shooting a .22

jagdpanzer347
September 29, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure where in Ohio you are located, but if all possible I'd recommend a trip to AIM. They don't really have a show room but they bring whatever you want to see out to the counter. For less than two-fifty you can walk out with a M91/30 AND a M44 AND a case of ammo. I like the Hungarian light ball they have in stock. Mosins are alot of fun to shoot and collect with many variations to choose from. You might want to stay away from the Finnish models if you're on a budget though. Those highly accurate beauties can bankrupt you if you're not careful!

-jagdpanzer

possum
September 29, 2006, 02:06 PM
I do have an SKS I bought at a gun show, it kicks pretty hard,
if you think the sks "kicks hard" then maybe you should stay away from the mosins.

jagdpanzer347
September 29, 2006, 02:12 PM
Good point Possum. I use a PAST "sissy pad" when I shoot mine off of the bench. The carbines especially will really get your attention, on both ends!

-jagdpanzer

Cosmoline
September 29, 2006, 02:47 PM
Try to hand pick one if you can. I'd suggest getting a USSR 91/30 from before 1938 or a Finn. The Finns are by far the best deals among Mosins today. You can still get M-39's for under two bills, and sometimes you can find Tikka 91/30's and M-91's for similar prices.

RiverwinoIA
September 29, 2006, 04:30 PM
im also debating whether to get a mosin, probably a m38 from classicarms (after i check the local shops).

my range buddy just got an SKS, and as long as i buy my own ammo for it, i can pretty much use it all i want... so that took away my incentive to buy an sks.

I kind of like the idea of a cheap, robust, firebreathing cannon. I really think its one of the uglier rifles ive ever seen... but the history factor makes up for it. Sounds like i could buy one of those 440 round surplus tins and it would last awhile too (due to the beating the m38 puts on you).

possum
September 29, 2006, 05:04 PM
i would like to get one with some 180gr sp's and use it for hog hunting when i get to georgia! sounds like it would be fun, and the m38 would be a great compact little brush gun!

Stiletto Null
September 29, 2006, 05:08 PM
Especially with a scout-mounted red dot or scope. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I Get a Mosin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!