Best $600 .270 Win.?

PDA

ed dixon
May 14, 2003, 01:10 AM
Opinions? Deer, target, etc. Wood stock. Will fit with Leupold or Weaver scope. Expect to handload for the most part.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best $600 .270 Win.?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4 eyed six shooter
May 14, 2003, 01:26 AM
Get one of the new aftermarket Mauser actions, have a gunsmith fit a new quality barrel, buy a stock and have the action glass bedded and pillars put in. If done by a good smith it will shoot the pants off of any factory rifle. The cost may go a little over $600.00, but it will be worth it.

cratz2
May 14, 2003, 03:40 AM
It's one of the cheaper rifles from the big names but I bought a 700ADL in 270 along with a Weaver Grand Slam scope and even with the cheesy, flimsy stock that wasn't properly floated and the trigger that needed a job to even get to respectable, my shooting buddy was able to come up with loads that would go into right over an inch. That was bone stock... No trigger job, no stock work, no action or face truing. I think I gave about $320 for it. Can't beat that! He loads 140 Gr SSTs for me at about 2,900 fps and some light kicking 110 Gr VMaxes at about 2,700 fps and both are capable (in his hands) of just over 1" at 100 yards.

Now, on a $600 budget, I'd want something a little nicer if I could pop for it... By the way, are we talking $600 for the rifle or$600 including optics? I assume the $600 is for the rifle only. I might look around the used racks. Gunshop near me has three Weatherbys on the shelf in .270 Winchester right now. One is a beautiful X model with gorgeous wood and the prettiest gunmetal blued metal I've ever seen. $1,100 including a 3.5-10x VariX III Leupold Scope. If I could get that rifle for $600 or $700, I'd be all over it. They also have one of the models with the trick looking kevlar stock for the same price, also with a VariX III and a Vangard for $500 on consignment - I think that's a bit high considering you can get pretty much any Howa brand new for less than that. And if you're really lucky and look enough, you might be able to find a nice older Sako under your price cap. That would be my goal if I were you.

If we're stuck with brand new, I'd look at a Tikka Whitetail series. Going for about $500 with a wood stock and blued metal. Probably the best value in a semi-budget bolt rifle out there right now. They're clearing out for the new model, the T3. And I wouldn't rule out a Browning A-Bolt but I think with wood, you might be over budget with one of those.

For optics, you mention Weaver. I think the 3-10x40 Grand Slams are the best value in optics right now as well. They can be delivered to your door for $250 from either www.SWFA.com or www.bearBasin.com and at that price, I really don't think they can be beat. Very nearly the equal of the current VariX IIIs at a price below that of the VariX II and both the Leupolds are very nice looking glass.

So, at $750 for a blued/walnut Tikka Whitetail and Weaver Grand Slam scope, you probably have at least 90% of what you would have with a current Sako and a VariX III at roughly half the cost. You'll also have a combo that, while it might be suplimented, would never need replaced. ;)

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//DCP_1456a.jpg

atek3
May 14, 2003, 05:17 AM
I'll second the tikka idea.
Wonderful guns for the money.
Out of the box sub-MOA, silky action, integral scope rail.

on sale here for cheap
http://www.thegunsource.com/rifles/tikka.htm

ed dixon
May 14, 2003, 10:40 PM
$600 was for rifle only. I'm excluding a synthethic stock mainly because for that price I expect I'd get something pretty flimsy and would already be looking to add a couple hundred for something better. Even ugly wood has some of the practical qualities of the better grades.

The Weaver Grand Slam or the Leupold VX-II are the likely candidates for glass.

Thanks for the input so far. Ed

Gordon
May 15, 2003, 02:01 AM
Get a real nice OLD Mod 70 in .270 for the going rate of $600, the value goes UP every year unless you wear it out in a life time of fun and adventure!The 'rifleman's rifle'. pre 64 Mod 70 Win. .270.

atek3
May 15, 2003, 03:41 AM
Actually, I can't speak from personal experiance, but I've heard the synth stocks on the tikka white tail synth aren't "flimsy".
I mean if they shoot sub MOA out of the box, they can't be total garbage right :)

atek3

Dan Morris
May 15, 2003, 08:52 AM
Gordon has the right idea. If a guy shops around, he can find a good pre 64 M70 for the 600 range. I've never had one that didn't shoot good. Put one in your hand, work the bolt.........then, you'll
know why!
Dan

cratz2
May 15, 2003, 09:13 AM
Certainly can't argue against a Pre-64 but on the topic of the Tikka synthetic stocks... they ain't too flimsy. But I agree, over about $400, I start wanting a decent looking wood stock. Some guys hate to bang up a nice blued and walnut gun but I figure, a $600 gun is a $600 gun. If it get's used, it's not gonna stay perfect and rifles were meant to be used. I'd still rather have a banged up walnut stock than a banged up plastic stock. ;)

Lone Star
May 16, 2003, 08:34 AM
If you browse gun shows, you can probably find a Winchester M70 Featherweight (sometimes, even the Classic version with M98 type extractor) for under $600. Some look new, and may be.

I like this rifle the best of any present factory offering. If you want higher velocity and a little more weight to fight recoil, the Standard should be in the same price range.

Lone Star

swingcatt
May 16, 2003, 09:27 AM
Savage has really been impressing me recently with their out of the box accuracy and finish. They redid their trigger system and really improved it (one of the biggest complaints about Savage rifles that I used to hear). Stay away from the synthetic stock tho, they haven't fixed those yet. Go with the deluxe style or the laminate. With Savage you can be OTD with a new SS rifle that shoots sub-MOA for around $500 and have an extra hundred left over to spend on better glass.

If you are not interested in that deal, you can look for a used Remchester at a gunshow or go for one of their lowend economy guns.

Just relating my experience with the rifles. Obviously I am not comparing them to rifles that cost twice as much, but I assume that you set a price limit for a reason.

SC

nextjoe
May 16, 2003, 08:28 PM
In my opinion, there are two really good values that would fit this category: a Pre-'64 Model 70 and a CZ 550.

If you know what to look for and are prepared to wait until you find the right gun, you might be able to find a really nice Mauser sporter within that price range.

Best,
Joe

Kaylee
May 17, 2003, 01:08 AM
heck, I saw a $400-something pre-64 Mod 70 in .270 if anyone's interested. The stock had been butchered (I'm presuming it was the old iron sighted version, and someone added a wood cheekpiece to it) but it was otherwise in nice shape.

I dunno if that's good, but if anyone's interested, PM me and I'll send you the address of the dealer. I was considering it myself as a replacement for my 700, but decided I wanted to stick with .30-06.

-K

ed dixon
May 24, 2003, 04:55 PM
I appreciate these ideas, but am a little surprised that Winchester 70 Sporter or Remington 700 BDL didn't show up. Did the $600 limit seem to preclude them? I didn't mean to, as I can get either from local dealers for under or right at six. The Winchester feels better in my hands and finds my shoulder nicely. I've also considered Savage ... and now Tikka. Getting itchy but will consider the options a little while longer.

Frankly, I don't think I trust myself enough to spend my present budget on a used gun, though a pre-'64 Winchester sounds tempting.

cratz2
May 24, 2003, 05:12 PM
I just don't think anything under $800 or so from Remington or Winchester really compares to the $400 Tikka Whitetail series rifles. Triggers, bolt smoothness, correctly cut stock. The Tikkas win all over the place.

And not to get into a foreign vs domestic car battle, but the Tikka vs the Remington BDL is sort of like comparing a Chevrolet Cavalier to a Honda Civic. The Cavalier might be flashier but after a decade of owners complaining about needing major service before 50,000 miles and replaced transmissions and spotty paint rusting through after a year would scare me off esp when for the same price you could get a bit less exciting Honda Civic which is pretty much guaranteed to go 100,000 without anything other than gas, oil a couple air filters and brakes if you're hard on them. For the same price, my mind is made up. ;)

nextjoe
May 24, 2003, 07:19 PM
ed,

I don't care for the Remingtons at all, particularly the trigger and extractor, which is why I didn't mention them.

The CZ 550 is very similar to the Winchester Model 70 action but is still all real steel, while Winchester has gone to MIM for the extractors and possibly the trigger components. The CZ also has integral scope dovetails and a single-set trigger. To top it all off, the CZ 550 Americans are often a few (or many) dollars cheaper than the current Winnies.

I grew up in a family that practically worshipped the Model 70, but if you're talking about current production, I'd take the CZ 550 over the current Model 70 any day. I still dearly love old Pre-'64s, though :cool:

Best,
Joe

ed dixon
May 24, 2003, 09:27 PM
... and now CZ. A 452 Lux was already one down on the wish list. I'll have to take a look at its bigger brother. Thanks, Joe. Thanks, all.

BigG
May 24, 2003, 10:34 PM
I would agree with Nextjoe. The CZ 550 is the sleeper in today's bolt gun market. There is none produced domestically that is in the same league with the CZ, dollar for dollar, or even for quite a few more dollars.

The pre-64 Winchester, what can I say? The ones I've seen at gunshows in good shape are pretty pricey, though. It would be a good choice if you can get one you like for $600. Good luck on your search, whatever you decide on! :)

atek3
May 25, 2003, 02:06 AM
CZ's, Savages, and Tikkas, So great... it's hard not to buy them :)

any idea why Remchester are no longer 'the gun to have'?

atek3

TJC
May 25, 2003, 08:46 AM
I've owned or do own, Weatherby, Remington, Winchester (both new Classic and Pre 64) and it's hard to beat a Remington BDL or ADL for that matter. Out of the box they are accurate, most giving MOA and reasonable in price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best $600 .270 Win.?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!