My friend is looking for a carry gun

PDA

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 01:00 AM
He wants at least .40 cal, fairly small, ten round capacity if possible, and in the price range of 3-5 hundred dollars.

Any suggestions would be great

he has also said that if he goes out of that price range it would only be for the Walther P99 Q/A in .40 cal,

Is that a good choice for him if he chooses to spend the extra money?

If you enjoyed reading about "My friend is looking for a carry gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
September 29, 2006, 01:07 AM
Glock 23

Its what a compact gun should be.

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 01:19 AM
thank you for your response, I forgot to add in my original post that he has shot several glocks and is not a fan of the "feel" of them

Will Learn
September 29, 2006, 01:24 AM
Sig P229 40 S&W works for me, plus you can get a 9mm or .357 sig barrel for it. 3 calibers, one gun= lotta fun.

Bazooka Joe71
September 29, 2006, 01:26 AM
If hes looking for something with a good "feel" to it, my first autoloader was a .40 S&W Taurus PT 24/7 pro. I think its a great gun, I have fired a few thousand rounds through it without the slighest hiccup. Its also in his price range, pretty light, and small enough to carry....And it holds 15+1 rds.

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 01:36 AM
I was leaning him toward taurus, I read somewhere that some of there semiautos have trouble with some piece sheering off, during cycling, dont remember the exact piece. Anyone ever heard of this?

also what about the MILLENNIUM PRO PT140 .40 S&W

are they as good as the 24/7 pistols? quality wise?

loki.fish
September 29, 2006, 01:46 AM
How about Springfield's SubCompact XD .40? I've shot one and a 9mm Glock and although the guns are similar, the feel of the XD in my hands was better. They run around $400-$450 and are 12+1.

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 01:49 AM
hmmm.... he did shoot my XD45 and did remark he liked the feel, now the subcompact can add the mag grip extension to make the grip full size if need be right?

abarth
September 29, 2006, 01:57 AM
Another vote for the XD 40 Subcompact. I have the XD9 SC, very reliable, decent accuracy. CZ Rami in 40 is another good choice.

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 02:11 AM
ok, so thus far we have two votes for the XD40 subcompact, definitley an option to suggest to him.

anyone else have an opinion on the Taurus models stated in the above posts?

loki.fish
September 29, 2006, 02:15 AM
Yes, there is a grip extension, I believe only grip extension and not mag extension. I never really looked, I just emptied a mag and handed it back to my buddy. Such a nice friend :)

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 02:30 AM
I went on their site and apparently the "x-tension" they give you with the gun accepts the 12 round .40 cal mag, up from the 9 round. And makes the pistol have a full size grip, or you can take it off and just use the 9 round

jlh26oo
September 29, 2006, 02:37 AM
As my first vote is no longer an option, and he likes the feel of the xd- that's the route I would go! Point & click like glock, and now their finish is at least as good; which was really their only (legitimate) knock before it was upgraded. Rest of critiques are purely subjective- looks, trigger preference, grip safety are kind of inconsequential (except as a personal prefernce kind of thing)- both have excellent capacity:sizeXweight ratios, and are of solid quality, reliability, accuracy.

OT:

to the tune of "the age of aquarius":

Tools and Technologies,
Tools and Technologieeeeees-
Technoohlogieeeeeeeeeees;
Technoohloogieeeeeeeeees
bap-badap bap bap badabap-bap badap bap bow

loki.fish
September 29, 2006, 02:43 AM
Well there ya go, XD sounds like it could be the one.

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 02:44 AM
I am going to have him shoot a buddy of mines .40 cal 4" service XD.

He like's my XD45 but wants less recoil without going down to a 9mm

I think he will like the subcompact since there is still the option to make it a full size grip with the "x-tension" plus the extra round capacity cant hurt.

but just in case he does not go with the XD, what else should i suggest to him?
still no other opinions on Taurus?

jlh26oo
September 29, 2006, 02:55 AM
HTere are plenty of taurus advocates around here (and anywhere else)- but you find just as many antis. What worries me most of all about their stories is customer service- taurus has a lifetime warranty, and apparently it gets used alot. Have just heard too many horror stories about no email replies, keeping stuff for way too long etc, and the fact that it has to be used in the first place. Apparently ruger and glock have great cs, but never had to use them (well ruger mailed me a pin for my cylinder on a gp100 but that was my fault i lost it, they sent it for free).

My only experience with taurus is an old .38spl- not even sure of the model number. It was fine. And it is very old, I was actually surprised when I noticed it was a taurus (before I even paid attn to brands lol if you can believe that ); and apparently their quality has increased since then, so it could only get better (otoh autos and wheelies are two different animals). And further, if I believed everything I read on the interweb, i would have never taken a chance on a kahr, because reports on pm9s are pretty split in the same way, on the same fronts. Time will tell.

I would say, if taurus happened to offer some package that just did not have a counterpart by another maker, and i really liked it, I might consider it. But I think in what he's looking for, service .40sw are a dime a dozen (in a good way) from known quality manufacturers.

If the .45acp has too much recoil, maybe .40sw will work, but I'm not sure they are all that different in force- just different nature of recoil. Might be better off "going down to a 9mm"... it's what I shoot. But I'll admit it does leave you wanting. Let him shoot your xd45 some more. That's where it's at in the xd line- if I was going to get one, it'd be their xd45tac, because (as i was talking about re something offreed by taurus no one else makes), glock just doesn't have a [prac/tac .45, and xd does. only reason i'd consider.

I'm sure taurus is fine though.

loki.fish
September 29, 2006, 02:58 AM
I've never owned or shot a Taurus, so I cannot comment on them.

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 03:08 AM
thank you guys for all the info, I will let him try out my .45 some more, even though I doubt he would want the same gun as me :uhoh:

gunhappy
September 29, 2006, 09:23 AM
no one has mentioned a NIB S&W Sigma. These are often denounced as a POC, but after 3 years of using them (occasionally, True) at the Department, I gotta say, if you can shoot a DA revolver, the trigger is very useable. Don't fall for all the hype about how bad they are.And at around $300, they are a great value. Also very ergonomic for someone w/small hands.:)

symr00
September 29, 2006, 09:33 AM
He like's my XD45 but wants less recoil without going down to a 9mm

Maybe my experience is different, but I find the .40 has a lot more recoil than the .45 ACP.

KI4LIV
September 29, 2006, 11:40 AM
I would suggest the Taurus Millennium Pro PT-140 (EDITED - Original post said PT-940) Available in stainless or blue... Polymer framed. ... 12 rounds capacity, very very reliable and comfortable to shoot!

If he can wait a couple of months (if that long!), S&W has been shipping and soon releasing onto shelves the M&P compact models (3.25" barrell and short grip). Stainless w/ Melonite coating (Double rust protection!)

Autolycus
September 29, 2006, 11:49 AM
HK P2000. Yes it is a little more but it is very much worth it. I would suggest shooting one. Its a customizable gun with different backstraps and is fully ambidextrous. As well as HKs seem to hold their value better than some other guns.

It holds 12 rounds of .40 and can be found for decent prices. Usually around $650 or so used and $730 new.

Just my $0.02

ETXhiker
September 29, 2006, 11:51 AM
I second JLH2600's comment. If he isn't comfortable with the recoil of a .45, he won't like a .40 in the same gun. But if that is what he wants...

I seem to be the only S&W autoloader fan on this board, but I think the 4013 or the DAO 4053 would be a great carry piece for your friend. A used one, in good, clean condition, shouldn't go much over $400.

up_onus
September 29, 2006, 11:53 AM
but, me personally, I would only carry a stainless gun. Why? obvious reasons...rust! Its something you keep close to your body...and I prefer the least amount of "cleaning" as possible. Also, is he an experienced shooter? Have you looked at the S-W 340pd? less than a pound, 357, kicks like a mule, but can use .38's for practice...

KI4LIV
September 29, 2006, 12:06 PM
I second the stainless comment.

Especially in a hot place such as Florida where I live!

My PT-111 Pro is stainless, as is my full-size S&W M&P (Stainless w/ Melonite coating)

Oregongundude
September 29, 2006, 12:21 PM
I have the XD .40 Subcompact and love this little gun. The nice thing about the .40 S&W is it's in a 9mm frame with the additional oomp of the .40 caliber round.

Nice Gun no problems with it ever. It's easy to break down and clean also. I would recommend nights sights, and the small tactical light for it. If your into lasers go with the lasermax. I paid $399.00 for mine with night sights from a local gun broker.

Helstrm
September 29, 2006, 12:25 PM
I had a Taurus 24/7 pro and loved it. Never failed and would take anything I fed it. The only reason I sold it was because I my 1911 fetish. I can't comment on service because I never needed any. I have shot the Mil Pro and it felt very good and had no failure either.

I think it will come down to which one he prefers. Have him to to a shop and hold both.

R.Edd
September 29, 2006, 06:41 PM
One more vote for Springfield. I carry a XD 40 subcompact all the time as my CCW.

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 09:17 PM
wow, there are alot of XD lovers on here huh :)

Black Majik
September 29, 2006, 10:22 PM
wow, there are alot of XD lovers on here huh

I came back in here after reading he doesn't like Glocks to vote for the XD40 Subcompact. ;)

Hanzo581
September 29, 2006, 10:43 PM
I let him know about all you guys suggestions, we are going to the gun store sunday to take a look.

KingAirDriver
September 30, 2006, 10:03 PM
Here's my vote for the XD Sub! I have a 9mm and love it!

Josh Aston
September 30, 2006, 10:28 PM
S&W MP40 it has the lowest felt recoil of all of the lightweight .40s IMO.

357SIG
October 2, 2006, 08:42 PM
The .40 Walther is great...I have no problems with mine, and I shoot it a lot. It's my favorite .40 caliber pistol. Tell your friend to go for it.

camacho
October 2, 2006, 08:51 PM
I guess your friend should try both (XD and Taurus). I had the same dilemma not long ago and went with the Taurus; it just felt better in my hand.

1 LT MPC
October 2, 2006, 08:58 PM
A man who doesn't like the Glock 23 is a silly, silly man!:evil:

cslinger
October 2, 2006, 08:58 PM
Smith and Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum. Powerful, accurate, reliable, pocketable and basically very close to the perfect carry gun IMHO but my guess is he wants an autochucker so......

SIG P229 13 rounds, reasonably compact, very accurate, very reliable, stainless.

HK USPC, P2000 etc. Light weight, great reliability, good robust finish etc.

Springfield XD .40 (Get Stainless in this this gun).

SIG P239 only 7+1 rounds in .40 but one of the best carry semi autos I have ever found.

There are a few choices for you.

Hanzo581
October 2, 2006, 09:31 PM
Budsgunshop.com has the Walther P99 .40 cal for $523, brand new, anyone ever order from that site? I think that is a good price, he wanted that gun but didnt like the price at our local gun shop.

modifiedbrowning
October 2, 2006, 09:39 PM
The P99 is an excellent pistol and I would recommend it if your friend will pay the extra money.
In the the original price range I would suggest a Firestorm Mini (http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/mini.htm) I have two Bersa 9mms (Bersa manufactures the Firestorm) and they have been flawless. I paid $350 otd for each.

MachIVshooter
October 3, 2006, 01:05 AM
Lightweight, compact carry gun, minmum 10 rd capacity and .40 or better, $300-$500? Easy. Taurus PT140 or PT145.

Hanzo581
October 3, 2006, 01:10 AM
so I think it comes down to the Walther P99 .40 cal, the Taurus 140BP .40 cal, and the Springfield XD40 Subcompact

Stachie
November 5, 2006, 01:33 AM
Go with the p99 .40S&W.

If you enjoyed reading about "My friend is looking for a carry gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!