School shooting in progress... what to do?

PDA

winstonsmith
May 14, 2003, 12:18 AM
I spend 7+ hours a day in a school, and this thought scares me. My school is prison like. The blueprints were designed by the same firm that did prisons. Every floor has two main hallways that go lengthwise down the building. There are also halways joining those two main corridors. I'm never more than 200 feet from an exit. I can get out easy. This question is more moral, then how do I actually get out.

If you enjoyed reading about "School shooting in progress... what to do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 12:30 AM
If you can't carry in school then get out of there. Unless you are darn sure you can ambush the gunman(men) then there is no cowardice in running from what you most likely cannot beat.

Pilgrim
May 14, 2003, 12:32 AM
If the school doesn't have a defense policy other than banning guns on campus, there is no point in sticking around and becoming part of the body count.

Nightfall
May 14, 2003, 12:37 AM
Personally, if it's a situation where some fellah is walking through a school just shooting? I'd do my best to stop that person, regardless of my level of comparable armament or the danger to me.

A hostage situation already firmly entrenched? Let the professionals handle it.

A hostage situation with hostages in the act of being taken? Depends on the risk to the hostages in my action. Chances are the professionals should handle it.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 12:43 AM
winstonsmith-

Hey man, I'm a neighbor. Little Hollywood. Drop me a mail and we can go shoot sometime.

Feanaro and Pilgrim have the right idea, check six and keep low.

And I have to add, from my lofty heights of the grand old age of 35 (Damn…I graduated in 1986…) talking about having to evac/evade from high school is just freaking weird.

What the hell has happened in our world?

CZ-75
May 14, 2003, 12:51 AM
Why dial 911 of course. The police will protect me. :rolleyes:

:D

winstonsmith
May 14, 2003, 12:52 AM
What the hell has happened to our world? Good question. I pass through a bad neighborhood on the way too my friends house alot and I don't even bat an eye when I see someone "concealed carrying" Meaning I can see the revolver sticking out of their knee level pants.

E&E out of a school is a scary thought, but when this SHTF, then I wanna be ready. My worst thought is that I have a choice between staying with my friends and running really fast. I run pretty fast, or at least faster than my friends and if I stick with them I could be held back. But if I run ahead, well they could die and I could get survivors guilt.

BTW. I got mugged outside of my school at knifepoint, and it tooks the cops about 20 minutes to get there. So police support is out of the question.

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 12:56 AM
If you have a choice of running ahead or sticking with your friends then pick the latter. It WOULD be cowardly to leave them to die. They are human beings and your friends as well. You never abandon a friend. Or even another person in this case.

Just my view though.

winstonsmith
May 14, 2003, 01:01 AM
I do ascribe to the no man left behind rule. We were on the school roof, and we were sneaking through the gap in the fence that closes off the roof. Well one of my friends is a little wide at the waist, and a teacher was coming. I could have ran and not gotten in deep ????, but I decided to help my friend through the fense. If I do it for something as stupid as that, I'd do it for them when it was life or death.

Andrew Wyatt
May 14, 2003, 01:34 AM
I was in HS about the time the whole columbine thing happened.

I spent about half the day in the theatre, which was the best place to be, tactically speaking. (multiple exits through the fence out of school, lots of hiding places, access to the parking lot...)

i figured that if i heard gunshots, i'd round up a couple trustworthy friends, hightail it to my house and either stay there, or load up and go back and help make sure everyone in the theatre gets out.

it was a pretty bad plan, but at least it was a plan.

jsalcedo
May 14, 2003, 03:11 AM
Do something heroic, it might be a once in a lifetime chance.

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 03:13 AM
Your last chance to do anything, possibly.

atek3
May 14, 2003, 03:24 AM
just saw bowling for columbine tonight. :barf:

I graduated from high school 3 years ago. If I thought I might be in harm's way:
http://bulletproofme.com/ProMAX_Vests.shtml

I mean because you are in school you obviously can't defend yourself, so I'd at least take self-preservation somewhat seriously.

atek3

PS I live in berkeley, you, Qbore and I, should go shooting sometime. My finals are over next monday, perhaps we should hang out at the range.

H Romberg
May 14, 2003, 07:40 AM
Let me get this straight.
1. Kids are being shot.
and
2. I can do something about it (even at great risk to self).

No-brainer.

There aren't many things really worth risking my life over, but kids fit the bill. Not saying I'd go hunting for the perp and try to do the cops job for them, but if there was a way I could take the shooter out or get some of the kids out I'd never be able to look at myself in the mirror if I didn't at least try.

braindead0
May 14, 2003, 08:32 AM
I think it would depend on who's kids... if say I was the janitor and my kid was in the school... no brainer. Somebody elses kids, I would probably try to do something but I doubt I'd go to the same level as if it was my own.

Sportcat
May 14, 2003, 11:49 AM
I work for a college and visit local high schools every week. I've always wondered what I would do in this situation.

First I would recognize where I was in the building (always being aware of cover and exits).

Second I would have to assess what my abilities are at that time. Maybe it would be best for me to get kids out, or if the attacker sprung up right in front of me, I might just go for him.

Can't honestly say until it happens (and hopefully it never will).

10-Ring
May 14, 2003, 11:53 AM
Bethe best witness you can be forthe experts and get as may out of the school as possible! If you happen to be in a position where you can end the situation, end it.

Oleg Volk
May 14, 2003, 12:53 PM
I went through the mental exercise back in 1998-2000 when I worked for a large catalog company. My decision was that in the event of a shoot-up I'd stay put. There'd be as much danger for a stampede as from gunfire, provided that the building wasn't on fire. Further, it is easier to watch developments from a static position than on the move.

At the time I was almost unarmed, carrying first a Taurus 85UL with an extra 5-shot speedloader (off-body, not optimal) and later a Kel-tec P32 with two spare mags in my pocket. I had little confidence in the weapon as, at the time, I had yet to learn to shoot it well. Given the lack of faith in the weapons I had (in your case, in the weapons you could improvise on a short notice), I was inclined to pick a venue with a short line of sight in which to mazimize my chances against somebody better armed than I. Under no circumstances would I have gone to look for Mr. Mayhem, as that would be more likely to get me injured or killed.

Another consideration is that, if Columbine is any indication, friendly fire may be as much a threat as enemy fire. That makes the option of running away much more attractive. If you want to be a hero, do it later with the people who legislated the disarmed victim zones.

Sportcat
May 14, 2003, 12:57 PM
That's the real downside in my case... I work on a college campus and I also visit schools on a regular basis. I can't even have a weapon locked inside my car when I am on college/ school grounds. :mad: Plus I have my CWP.

Apple a Day
May 14, 2003, 05:25 PM
I'm a teacher. I'd get as many kids as I could and get 'em all out. Then I'd clear out of the way and let the cops do their job.

TechBrute
May 14, 2003, 05:34 PM
Why dial 911 of course. The police will protect me. BWAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!

natedog
May 14, 2003, 06:42 PM
Most likely run away, but if the chance presented itself, i.e. I'm behind shooter, I would probably try to disarm him any way I could. At least thats what I say I would do. In reality I would most likely wet myself, then run away.

winstonsmith
May 14, 2003, 07:06 PM
So basically, what I should do is get my squad (we paintball together) keep low, check 6, and if there's a change to take out the tango take it.

Andrew Wyatt
May 14, 2003, 07:19 PM
have you ever played counterstrike or the other "realism" mods?

you can practice tactics for attacking a firearm wielding opponent to some extent by using the meelee weapons on there during netgames.

it's not as good as going to skul for it, but it's something.

G23Jake
May 14, 2003, 07:53 PM
Interesting thought. If you were a student i would say get out as fast as you can. If you were a teacher i would say there should be some training to actually get you ready for that situation although i don't know where it is. I also heard a story of a teacher that parked off school property so when a shooter entered the school he went to his car, got a gun, and "neutralized" the shooter. He was later convicted of carrying a gun on school property, but he probably saved some lives.

If you enjoyed reading about "School shooting in progress... what to do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!