How accurate is your Finnish M39?

PDA

Jack19
September 29, 2006, 08:52 AM
I've fairly pleased with mine, but I'm thinking that I'm the limiting factor in the accuracy department.

How accurate is your M39?

If you enjoyed reading about "How accurate is your Finnish M39?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
_N4Z_
September 29, 2006, 09:12 AM
I'll have to get back with you on this subject as I've only had my M39 out once since I bought it, and it was only fired out to 50 yards.

At 50 yards though, shooting from an unrested sitting position, it looks like it has the potential to be quite impressive.

jagdpanzer347
September 29, 2006, 02:04 PM
IIRC,the Finnish standard was 1.5 MOA. Very high standards for a sevice rifle.
Along with Swede Mausers and Swiss K31's they are among the most accurate surplus rifles available.

-jagdpanzer

Cosmoline
September 29, 2006, 05:06 PM
The single biggest limiting factor for M-39 accuracy is that big honking piece of birchwood next to the barrel. That's why if you open one up you're likely to find a whole bunch of shims the armorers put in to lift the barrel up. But in the decades since they were put up the wood has changed shape and you may find some having problems. I certainly have. The cure is usually found in eliminating stock/barrel interference.

A major failing in the M-39's design was the decision not to use the aluminum barrel sleeves like the Civil Guard had been using on their 28/30's. These forced the wood away from the barrel and if you look at the end of a White Death rifle, you'll see the barrel hovering in its sleeve. A simple and very effective design, but I guess it was too time consuming to fit one to each new rifle and they dumped the idea.

My advice for shooting M-39's is check to see if more shimming is needed and then test it out with an array of loadings. M-39's are usually much much more accurate with some loadings than with others. Nearly all of them can be made to shoot MOA with the right loads and a freed up barrel.

Also, IIRC the M-39's and other Finns were sighted in for the 300 meter mark. That is, they were either shooting at a 100 meter target with the sights at 300 and an aimpoint well below the target or they were shooting at a target at 300 meters. That was where the rifle was tested. So the 100 meter mark may not always shoot to 100 meters exactly. Sometimes it shoots high.

iamkris
September 29, 2006, 09:21 PM
I was very disappointed with mine. 4-6 '' at 100 yds with 147 gr Czech silvertip. Then I shot some 174 gr Hungarian...different gun. Shrunk the groups down to half that size.

silverlance
September 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
i realy like reading your posts.

anyway, i sold all of my mosin nagants to buy a finnish m39. 2 91/30 1 m38 1 m44.

i wish i knew more about how to pick them,though. right now im daily combing through empire arms and gunbroker.

_N4Z_
September 29, 2006, 10:39 PM
I just bought a M39 thru these guys.

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Shipped to my door UPS, no FFL, no C&R required and exactly what I saw in the pic.

I quit looking at Empire after reading several not so satisfied customer reviews.

Dark Helmet
September 29, 2006, 11:12 PM
Same deal as you had with www.gunsnammo.com ;)

Cosmoline
September 30, 2006, 12:41 AM
I've bought three through WGA over the years. They're quite honest and give you the advantage of seeing each rifle and getting an accurate description before you buy. Keep in mind that only a tiny fraction as many M-39's were made than Soviet 91/30's. A hundred thousand or so compared with tens of millions. We're starting to hit the bottom of the Finnish barrel. The 28/30's, Lotta rifles and M-27's are all collector's items now, and the M-39's will be soon. Already you can see prices shooting up for the late model "sneak" 39's and certain rare variants such as the straight stocks and Tikka barrels.

That said, I'm on a USSR kick right now. There's a charm to Ivan's crude weapons :D

Koobuh
September 30, 2006, 08:01 AM
My M39 will shoot cheap, crap Hungarian yellowtip into 2-3" groups at 100 yards. Moving up to Wolf black-box softpoint I get 3" groups at 200 yards. ;)
I think I'll have to hand-load to improve on that, but it's still pretty damned good.
Oddly enough, Polish light ball shot pretty well through it. Too bad that dried up so quickly, we only have a few packs left.

AH-1
September 30, 2006, 08:13 AM
if your M39 is shooting high and you reload try some of the cheap bulk 123 gr bullets for the sks/ak .310. poa at 100 meters :) .recoil is nil and a fun shoot.
pete

Jack19
September 30, 2006, 08:33 PM
btt

If you enjoyed reading about "How accurate is your Finnish M39?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!