Black bear hunt in Idaho

PDA

LittleLebowski
September 29, 2006, 11:15 AM
Would a Marlin 336 3030 loaded with the new Hornady LeverRevolution ammo be sufficient for an Idaho black bear? Have an accompanying sidearm question in Revolvers...

If you enjoyed reading about "Black bear hunt in Idaho" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thefabulousfink
September 29, 2006, 01:07 PM
Now I haven't hunted black bear yet (but I'd REALLY like to), however, I have done a LOT of camping in N. Idaho and seen more than a few.

Black Bears are NOT Grizzlies, a 30-30 should have no problem with a heart/lungs shot, but you would probably need to be within 100 yards. This shouldn't be a problem b/c most of the blackies that I have seen have been pretty close. The dense forests in the Bitterroot or Panhandle should keep most of your shots under 200 yards anyway.

As for a backup gun...the only reason you should need one is if the bear charges you and your rifle jams. I have heard of bowhunters having their partner carry a 12ga loaded with slugs to stop a charging bear.

Hope that helps and good hunting!

LittleLebowski
September 29, 2006, 02:27 PM
I can't use a red dot so that leaves a forward mounted low power scope as best choice, right?

Vern Humphrey
September 29, 2006, 02:45 PM
As for a backup gun...the only reason you should need one is if the bear charges you and your rifle jams.

Ernie Pagette (who was an NRA Director) shot a black bear in Virginia with a .308. The bear got up and lumbered off. He shot it again, and the bear got its hind legs under it and plowed its way into a laurel "hell." Ernie went in with a .357 and finished it off.

It turned out that both bullets - 150 grain Sierra boattail softpoints -- broke up on the bear's shoulders.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black bear hunt in Idaho" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!