How many Bayonet deaths?

PDA

twoblink
May 14, 2003, 01:16 AM
I was just curious, as the AWB says no bayonet (It's for the children)..

Prior to the AWB, was there a HUGE amount of deaths caused by bayonetting?? I seem to remember quite a high number IN THE CIVIL WAR.. but very few after that..

Someone have numbers??

I hate it when the gov'ment tries to save me from an evil that is not there..

I"m thinking "before 1994" like 200,000 deaths by bayonet, after 1994, like 2. That's what they will quote.. because they will include the revolutionary war and the civil war.. but again.. Total bayonet deaths (not in a war situation) is probably 4 since the vietnam war is my guess..

If you enjoyed reading about "How many Bayonet deaths?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 01:23 AM
I'm guessing more like two. I've NEVER in all my years heard of a person being stabbed to death with a bayonet outside of a war.

Triad
May 14, 2003, 01:24 AM
If they did something like that I would expect them to include any injuries and deaths involving edged weapons. Since there haven't been too many bayonetings, they can say that before the ban there were thousands of injuries and deaths (this is where they use the stats for any sharp object) and after the ban there were two (or whatever the number of actual bayonettings is.)

WilderBill
May 14, 2003, 02:03 AM
No stats here, but my guess is that however many there were,
they probably were not on a rifle at the time.
My reasoning?
If you have a gun, and you intend to kill some, wouldn't you just shoot them and be done with it?
On the other hand if you only have a bayonett you could still stab someone with it...or a steak knife. :rolleyes:

Skibane
May 14, 2003, 02:08 AM
Q:How many Bayonet deaths?

A: Same number as grenade launcher deaths, roughly...

SquirrelNuts
May 14, 2003, 02:15 AM
It is less than the number of deaths caused by a screw driver. I forget the actual way this is ranked, but a screw driver is the most common hand implement used to cause death.

-SquirrelNuts

jsalcedo
May 14, 2003, 02:57 AM
Is that where the term "screw you" comes from? Or putting the screws to someone? Phillips or standard?

Those deadly electric assault screw drivers are just insane!

twoblink
May 14, 2003, 03:17 AM
Squirrel..

from my memory, a hammer might be the instrument used the most.. But I know screw driver is up there..

Probably the same number as death by 50Cal BMG's...

But good thing the liberals never let simple things like FACTS get in the way of their legislative pens...:rolleyes:

Bowlcut
May 14, 2003, 09:43 AM
Well I know the last trip to the gun range saw an empty box die from my bayonette. And the occasional bottle....but only when they act up do I get vengful. But usualy I just use it as a screw driver....Mosin-Nagant speer bayonettes are good for that ya know :D

4v50 Gary
May 14, 2003, 10:45 AM
Soljers were picker-stuck with that pig-sticker during the sibil war. However, most of the time, they'd skeddadle before cold steel got close and intimate. Bayonets during that war were used mostly for entrenching (along with tin cups or plates & hands), for carrying "forage" (hams, bread and other stuph looted from the "enemy").

Most deaths were due to disease. Forgot the ratio of artillery v. small arms. Gotta check Paddy Griffith's Civil War Tactics as it's been a while.

Kinsman
May 14, 2003, 10:58 AM
Doesn't matter how many bayonettings there have ever been.
The fact is, our public servants have decreed that we shouldn't have 'em....

Hey wait, how can our servants decree anything? Oh.... never mind.

Mark Tyson
May 14, 2003, 12:30 PM
I don't think there's been an American bayonet death since the Korean war.

OF
May 14, 2003, 12:56 PM
You mean they're not the gang-banger weapon of choice? What about all those drive-by bayonettings I thought they had in the city?

I'm so confused.

Wasn't the ban passed in response to the Bloody Bayonetting Epidemic of '92? That was awful. People were getting skewered left and right there until Clinton stepped up and, by golly, did something about it! Thank God we had a man of action around then or who knows what could have happened.

I shudder to think.

- Gabe

TarpleyG
May 14, 2003, 01:55 PM
Me: "The law bans the gun if it has two of the following: pistol grip, bayonet lug, flash suppressor, or grenade launcher."

Wife: "Why on earth would you need a bayonet lug or grenade launcher?":cuss:

She doesn't get it I guess. Not that I would want them but the idea that the guvmint says I can't.

GT

CGofMP
May 14, 2003, 02:46 PM
Look, for once you guys have it ALL WRONG.

I agree with the bayonet confiscation and elimination plans. This is something civilians JUST DO NOT NEED TO HAVE!

I won't go into detail here, I have already written up a treatise on this and have made my views clear online ( Please click here to learn about the rampant bayonet crime and how I proposed curing it a few years ago (http://www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/yuppiepateknife.html) . Suffice it to say we should all participate in removing bayonets from the streets of our nation.

Click the above link for more information.

Charles

Ledbetter
May 14, 2003, 04:46 PM
it's the lug. We've got to get rid of those dam#ed lugs!!

You can own a bayonet. You can own a rifle. But you can't put your bayonet on your rifle. That would be, umm, bad.

TechBrute
May 14, 2003, 05:05 PM
I think twoblink said it best:But good thing the liberals never let simple things like FACTS get in the way of their legislative pens...

Standing Wolf
May 14, 2003, 05:55 PM
CGofMP:

Outstanding!

CGofMP
May 15, 2003, 12:49 AM
:D :D :)

Thanks Standing Wolf.... gonna be refurbishing those pages as soon as I can.... Gonna give them a new look..

Charles

amprecon
May 15, 2003, 01:36 AM
Well, they might have banned the LUG, but they haven't banned duct tape yet.;)

SquirrelNuts
May 15, 2003, 01:52 AM
Well, they might have banned the LUG, but they haven't banned duct tape yet. Amen for duct tape!

I saw a show on the History Channel the other night about hardware. It turns out that duct tape was originally invented by the military to seal ammo cans.

-SquirrelNuts

twoblink
May 15, 2003, 02:32 AM
If I don't call a bayonet a bayonet, and simply call it a "long knife", is it off the AWB list now??

Someone explain the difference between a "long knife" and a bayonet to me..

What can a bayonet do, that a knife and duct tape can't?

p35
May 15, 2003, 05:54 AM
Well, I know a guy whose son was murdered by gangbangers with a bayonet- as best anyone can tell they mistook him for someone else (I've learned after years of dealing with this stuff that there's no point asking why after the fact). Bayonet wasn't mounted at the time. This was around 1995-1996.

amprecon
May 16, 2003, 12:01 AM
Since we're on the topic of bayonets, does anyone see a real military need for them anymore?
I just can't imagine Sarge screaming "Fix Bayonets!" anymore, it'd seem like a throw-back to the "Great War" days.
As I understand it, the purpose was during the early days of long arm adaption that long columns of soldiers with the glimmering blades afixed to their guns was more of an intimidation factor. In the era of single shot guns I can see it's applicability, but not today.
And can these aluminum and plastic weapons withstand the force of jabbing into bodies, seems they would bend like a rubber band like the rubber prop knives they use in the movies :D

CGofMP
May 16, 2003, 12:11 AM
Bayonets anachronistic?

Oh I dunno.... :p

You might want to reed about The Saga of “Cold Steel” Gunning (http://www.jouster.com/Culvers/cold_steel_gunning.htm) it was written by Major Dick Culver who has a good time telling sea stories :)

There is also this missive from Korea:
click link (http://www.dtic.mil/armylink/news/Feb1998/a19980224bayonet.html)

Charles

http://www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/fashionbayonet2.jpg

Feanaro
May 16, 2003, 02:51 AM
Since we're on the topic of bayonets, does anyone see a real military need for them anymore?

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

CZ-75
May 16, 2003, 03:49 AM
I have one for both my late 19th C. Swedish Assault rifle and early 20th C. Swiss Assault Rifle. ;)

tiberius
May 16, 2003, 04:26 AM
Just another stupid "feel good" law. I guess the leftists feel that skewering someone is more likely to happen than shooting them?

It's just like the silly weapons laws we have in Texas. For example, it is illegal to carry a knive over 5.5" long, but it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle (pistols require a permit, but there is no permit for "large knives"). Of course, I think it should be legal to carry anything you want, but could anyone explain why its illegal to carry a kitchen knife whem loaded long arms are unregulated???

Perhaps they fear it may be used as a bayonet:D

Ledbetter
May 16, 2003, 12:37 PM
with bayonet lugs. I'm not kidding, you'd sell a million at least.

I only want 2%.

Gross.

NOT "adjusted" gross.

Ladybug
May 16, 2003, 12:47 PM
What if I duct tape a knife onto a broomstick...?

Ledbetter
May 16, 2003, 01:01 PM
Then you wouldn't have to pay me a licensing fee.

Seriously, don't talk like that or they'll outlaw duct tape. Oh, but then we'd be defenseless from acts of terrorism!

If you enjoyed reading about "How many Bayonet deaths?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!