Did i screw up? Winchester 94

PDA

Jackal
September 29, 2006, 08:33 PM
Hi everybody. I was in my local pawn shop today, when i saw on the rack, a nice pre-crossbolt saftey Winchester 94 30-30. Only problem was that the receiver's finish is all blotchy from probably sitting behind a truck seat, or some such thing. There is also little rusty spots all along the barrel(exterior only) and mag tube. I figure for the $225 that they were asking, i couldnt go wrong. Internals look very nice with only a couple small rust marks inside in the hammer area. Bore is mint and the action is very smooth. Did i screw up? Should i have passed on it, or is $225 a good deal? I'm am not sure that i want to keep it or not, since I am not sure that i'm up to the refinishing it needs.

Yes, i do have the whole rifle, I took the pics after i stripped everything down.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did i screw up? Winchester 94" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
achildofthesky
September 29, 2006, 08:41 PM
Sounds good enough. Why refinish it? Use it as a shooter, just clean up the bore and action good and put it to work. Are you sure that the receiver blotches aren't color case hardening? I have a similar rifle with a trapper length barrel and it has nice color case hardening markings. I paid about the same for mine and it had a 4x Burris mini and mounts as well. Have fun, relax and enjoy.

Patty

rhubarb
September 29, 2006, 09:22 PM
At the gun show I went to a month or so ago, Winchester 94s started at $400 for one a little better than yours and went up from there.

redneck2
September 29, 2006, 09:58 PM
Dude...it's a shooter. Shoot it.

I'd take the money you were going to spend to fix it up and buy ammo.

SigfanUSAF
September 29, 2006, 10:03 PM
Looks like an abused blued reciever to me. $225 for that most likely would have opened my wallet. Make sure to keep the reciever lightly covered in oil when not in use to prevent its condition from worsening.

The Deer Hunter
September 29, 2006, 10:06 PM
i would say fix it up.

Seeing as how those sell outs :cuss: sold out it would be hard to find a nice gun like that. If you do decide to fix it up and have it re-blued, bring it to a profesional. I blued the barell to my muzzleloader that i built and it didnt come out good at all. (Fortunatetely it gives it a really rustic lock-stock-and barrel look.)

Jackal
September 29, 2006, 10:09 PM
For a refinish, i was thinkin of Brownells AlumaHyde. Either matte black or dark parkerized gray.

SigfanUSAF
September 29, 2006, 10:20 PM
AlumaHyde I and II don't stand up to use and abuse too well. I have had great sucess with their aerosol baking laquer (just took my AR upper and lower out of the oven a few minutes ago, don't tell the wife;) ) and their oven cure gun coat. I did my AR recievers in dark parkerized grey, and they look great. it even has the rough finish of parkerizing. The cure time is 1 hour, assemble when cool. Better than waiting days for the aluma-hyde to dry! I save the alumahyde for refinishing plastic and composite stocks.

mustanger98
September 29, 2006, 10:21 PM
I've re-blued a couple of Mausers and a couple of sporter/working guns... I just use BirchwoodCasey's after giving the gun a good wire brushing. Pitting may or may not be character, but it won't get worse when you clean it up and re-blue and keep it oiled. That's what I'd do.

Like others have said, it's a shooter. And for $225, any more, I'd have had to jump on it too.

SigfanUSAF
September 29, 2006, 10:27 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45587&stc=1&d=1159579601

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45588&stc=1&d=1159579216

Heres a couple of pics of the dark park. grey.

mustanger98
September 29, 2006, 10:32 PM
That aerosol baking laquer... I wonder how it'd do on a Garand. Maybe if I get another one or two with a lot of finish wear before CMP runs out...

rangerruck
September 29, 2006, 10:47 PM
even if you bloew another 10k rounds through it, it will still start at 350 or more the next time you try to sell it.

Jackal
September 29, 2006, 11:57 PM
This may sound kinda funny, but, about 1 hour ago i found out that I overdrew my checking by... guess how much...$212.00. If anyone wants it, i will sell to the first pm for $220.00 + shipping. I cant return it to the shop, and i dont have the cash to repay my checking. Life sucks when this crap happens.

Edit: has synthetic stock, and for extra $40, i can include a new unfinished walnut stock.

wuchak
September 30, 2006, 12:03 AM
Based on this last post I'd say the answer to your original question is yes.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Did i screw up? Winchester 94" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!