savage single shot shotgun

PDA

cwdotson
September 29, 2006, 10:03 PM
I am thinking about locating one of the old Savage 12 gauge single-shots and converting to a hardcore turkey gun. I would probably move my 870 3 inch chamber, circa 1968, cause (1) you get one shot at a turkey (2) I just have no other use for a shotgun, hd or otherwise. I would probably use the 2 3/4Hevishot, after cutting down the barrel and putting in a turkey choke, and wrapping in camo tape. The patterns I'm getting with that load just doesn't justify a 3" load. I would probably get a 70's or 80's vintage, which should have good enough steel. Anybody tried something like this?

If you enjoyed reading about "savage single shot shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gezzer
September 30, 2006, 11:15 PM
Buying a NEF single shot all set up will result the same with modern steel and Many, many,many dollars saved.

Rupestris
October 1, 2006, 12:18 AM
I agree with Geezer. The H&R / NEF shotguns are fine single shots.

A heavier shotgun will produce less felt recoil. A lightweight single shot might thump a bit more than the 870 already in use. That, and the 870 is a fine SG for anything you might want to do in the future. 10 years ago I didn't think I'd be hunting at all. Luckily I bought one of the most versatile platforms on the market. The 870. With two barrels and a couple chokes, I can do just about anything one would use a SG for. Rethink shedding that 870. Its a fine do-all firearm.

cwdotson
October 2, 2006, 03:59 PM
I have seen those NEFs and thought about them-didn't like the looks of the release button, no real reason, just looks different than the thumblevers I grew up with. I guess the salient question regards folks' experiences with the NEF, only to be shot to sight in loads and then up to eight shots a year on gobblers.

And, I agree about the 870, best shotgun ever (yes, I have had The Killer B's:Brownings, Benellis, and Berettas) but I have to clear up a few hundred here and there. This one is a beauty, I looked for some time and found the 1968 vintage, almost cherry condiction furniture, with a 3" chamber-she has on light scratch I accidentally made on the receiver. Matter of fact, she's at my friend's house, who will buy her if I don't back out, so I can see how much I'll miss her!

Kismet
October 9, 2006, 12:57 AM
They are light, fast, so inexpensive they are almost disposable, and a WHOLE bunch of turkeys (8 for me so far, and I don't hunt them every year), a few deer (That 12 needs a recoil pad), and a buncha (4-8 every year) of ducks are VERY unhappy that I can get the gun up that quickly.

I like old, very used single shots. 2 3/4 in shells have always been enough for me. And, I admit to a certain perverse satisfaction when I get a 22 pound turkey and talk with someone who has a nine pound 10 guage, tricked out in camo, who talks about his misses.

I've shot them flying, running, and standing.

But then, I walk around softly in the woods, listen for turkeys, hear them, and kind of stalk (I'm not that good at it) up upon them and shoot one.

I walk around much the same for deer. And I wander along criks for ducks.

And, I'm a junkie pheasant hunter, with dog. The single works fine.

Yes, I have pumps (WIN97&Ithaca37), doubles (AYA 20 & Stevens 12 30 in), and I use them. But I do loves dem singles.

My first shot is the one I should hit with, or I shouldn't have shot it.

Recoil bothers a trap shooter or a target shooter. Very few hunters even notice recoil when they shoot.

Have fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "savage single shot shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!