Would you buy a SKS-D for $250?

PDA

Jackal
September 30, 2006, 01:53 AM
Hi, my local dealer has a SKS-D model, the one with thumbhole stock and takes AK mags. Price is $250. Should I pull out the plastic from my wallet, and snatch it up? Condition is like new.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you buy a SKS-D for $250?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eightball
September 30, 2006, 01:54 AM
I personally prefer the stock Yugo version with the 10-rnd. However, if it wouldn't have the AK-mag feed problems and has the standard SKS-bbl length, it could be a spiffy shooter--AK reliability & mags with SKS accuracy.

1911user
September 30, 2006, 02:20 AM
I'd spend a little more and get a romanian AK instead. That's probably not a bad price though.

Zeke Menuar
September 30, 2006, 02:28 AM
In a second. I could replace the tacticool stuff later.

ZM

meef
September 30, 2006, 02:39 AM
Provided it's not beat to crap - in a heartbeat.

I do have an SKS-M with both the Monte Carlo stock (which I like) and the thumbhole stock (which I don't) and it's a great rifle.

At that price it's a steal. Again... condition considered.

By the way, I believe that the "M", not the "D", is the correct designation for the thumbhole stock model. Could be mistaken, though. It's too late for me to go look it up.

:)

Jackal
September 30, 2006, 02:40 AM
Condition is like new.

grimjaw
September 30, 2006, 03:05 AM
Jackal, is it the 20" version? If so, tell me the dealer so I can stop by there on the way back and buy it before you do . . .

jm

Third_Rail
September 30, 2006, 03:19 AM
Purchase it, it's worth more than that.

AJAX22
September 30, 2006, 03:42 AM
Snap it up, I wish I could buy em in my state. they're a boatload of fun, and they're super reliable. (buddy had one before they became a no no)

wayne in boca
September 30, 2006, 08:59 AM
I have an M,and it's a sweet little carbine with a lot of firepower.Paid $ 300.00 for mine, $250.00 is a steal.

1 old 0311
September 30, 2006, 09:44 AM
Good buy. Snap it up.

possum
September 30, 2006, 10:07 AM
personally i wouldn't buy it unless i was gonna re sale it and make some money off of it. with the thumbhole stock and the big hi-cap magazines it kinda defeats the purpose of the sks in the first place, kinda takes away from the small , handyness aspect. not to mention i hate thumbhole stocks.:) i would just go with an ak like was reccomended above

dfaugh
September 30, 2006, 10:29 AM
Buy it NOW!

I have an SKS-M that is one of my favorite guns. Last ones I've seen (-Ds or -Ms) were going for between $400 and $600. Mine is utterly reliable with any type of AK mag I've ever tried, and I've put about 5000 rounds through it.

If you don't want it let me know, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

P.S. You CAN change out the stock (Mine has one of "Dragunov" style stocks on it, bought that way)....You just can't put a true pistol grip on it, without changing out a lot of other parts to make it "compliant".

Jackal
September 30, 2006, 03:21 PM
Well, just called the shop. Someone got to it yesterday after i left. O well, you win some you lose some.

funfaler
September 30, 2006, 08:24 PM
I had a chance to get one for $190, and 8 mags. Went home thinking that I really don't "need" another rifle. Told the wife, and she said I had to go BUY it as soon as the store opened in the morning. Went back and the guy said another guy came in just before closing and took it home. I couldn't kick my self hard enough.:banghead:

BoySetsTheFire
September 30, 2006, 08:31 PM
Any SKS in decent shape is worth buying. It is one reliable rifle.

smince
September 30, 2006, 09:28 PM
Paid $295 for a "D" about three years ago. Liked it very much, but a friend liked it more: he traded me a 1944 SA Garand for it:D

Jackal
September 30, 2006, 09:33 PM
And, is he still your friend?

smince
September 30, 2006, 09:36 PM
Yes. I keep hope that we'll make another deal like this one.:)

MechAg94
September 30, 2006, 10:17 PM
Buy it!!!

IMHO, Romanian WASR's are pieces of crap compared to a good SKS. I think you would have to spend a good bit more on an AK to get one I would prefer (like my Vepr). If this truly is a D model, it ought to be every bit as reliable as any AK.

valtr0n
January 16, 2008, 03:28 PM
Bumping an old thread...

Found an SKS-D in excellent condition at the local pawn shop today. Someone pawned it before Christmas and I got to it today just as they were about to put it on the shelf.

They want $225, out the door. And again, this thing looks brand new. It's the thumbhole stock model.

I asked the guy to hold it for me til I have the cash on Friday. Is there anything I need to check for before I pick it up Friday?

Hoppy590
January 16, 2008, 03:58 PM
225- 250 is a steal for an SKS-D

go for it!

valtr0n. check barrel condition, check for matching numbers, check for and problems with magazines. chances are it wont have the bayonet, but thats normal

Slugless
January 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
Does it have a bayonet lug? If not, it's probably the SKS-M. That's kinda pedantic, though...

Me & two friends have these rifles, 1 SKS-D, 2 SKS-Ms. The -D and one -M (mine) are great little carbines. The second -M is a POS. Although on mine the firing pin retention pin went missing. :confused: I bought a replacement from TAPCO.

Pull the bolt back & look at the machining work you can see. Usually the milling work is pretty rough, but if it looks like a child or half-starved prisoner did it, you might pass.

If it looks good & the action feels good, go for it. I put a Fiberforce aftermarket stock on mine. A little sanding & beating and it fits pretty good although the action has to come out of the stock to pop the receiver cover open. I put some Williams fire sights/peep set on it. The main problem is that it doesn't get much use these days.

RockyMtnTactical
January 16, 2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, I would. I like the SKS-D better than the AK.

Prince Yamato
January 16, 2008, 09:04 PM
You could probably find a bunch of tacticool stuff and configure it like the Chinese AW that post-dated the AK (type 82?)

nwilliams
January 16, 2008, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a good deal, the impulse buyer in me says go for it!

MechAg94
January 16, 2008, 10:04 PM
I still agree with my previous comments. A decent SKS that can take 30 round mags is much better than any WASR.

valtr0n
January 18, 2008, 04:27 PM
Thought I'd post the acquisition today...

Haven't fired it yet, going to clean it tonight. But I'm pretty happy with it.

DMK
January 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
Nice find! Great price.

I've got one of those. Mine says "Sporter" on the receiver though. It's a pretty good shooter. Very fun. Mine had a canted front sight, but that was easily fixed with a Tech Sight rear aperture and a Williams front Firesight.

A decent SKS that can take 30 round mags is much better than any WASR.Yea. I'll take a receiver made of forged steel over stamped sheet metal any day.

ROMAK IV
January 18, 2008, 11:36 PM
I bought one for $225 at the beginning of 2007. Someone had taken a chisel to the magwell, in a "el cheapo" attempt to make it accept an AK drum. Otherwise the rfile was as new, although the barrel had been left dirty and the main piston was carboned up stationary. I already had such an SKS since 1994 that I got for $200. I modified the magwell to take Ak drums, but did so in an aesthetic manner, and redid the stock, They are great guns, but the barrel is a bit shorter than most Ak's, and there is no BHO device. Don't have a picture of the "newer" one.

Hanzerik
January 19, 2008, 02:38 AM
Just picked up a Yugo today. Very good condition $250. This will replace the Cherry Import I sold last year...stupid me. Was the best looking Yugo I have seen.

This one should clean up nice, may take a few days to clean off all the cosmo, and refinish the wood.

texan2000
January 5, 2009, 06:31 PM
You'd best do it now! Great deal!

texan2000
January 5, 2009, 06:33 PM
lol... just noticed this thread is a year old!

Rubber_Duck
January 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
Zombie thread!

nathan
January 5, 2009, 06:36 PM
Those are priced high today . You got a deal. They are sold for $400 tops .

TheGrimReaper
January 5, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'd already have it at the house by now. Better go get that rifle...

nalioth
January 5, 2009, 08:56 PM
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/849/threadnecromancyob9.jpg

nalioth
January 5, 2009, 11:52 PM
You guys are amazing me.

The original post in this thread was made September 29, 2006, which makes it over 2 years old.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you buy a SKS-D for $250?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!