Need Advice / Model 7 , .260

PDA

TNScott
September 30, 2006, 09:49 AM
I recently purchased a Rem Mod-7 for my 12yr old daughter. The gun is Stainless/Syn ,chambered in .260.
It had less than 100 rds through it when i purchased it.
I handloaded 15 different load combo's for it and headed to the range.
The loads were 100gr Nosler BT's with various weights of IMR 4831 and 4350.
I was shooting 4rds of each combo.

Problem:
Every single load i shot would shoot the first shot Left approximately 2". The next 3 would be generally "grouped". I did acheive two sub 1" groups , one being a .48" group(4831/42.5gr) but still the first shot in each was left about 2".

Any idea what the problem could be? I realize i need to run a lot more bullet/ powder combos through it but after 15 different loads doing the same thing, i think there may be another issue.

Would floating the barrel fix this? Anyone see this problem with a model 7 before?

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Advice / Model 7 , .260" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
September 30, 2006, 11:45 AM
Would floating the barrel fix this? Probably. First shot flyers are usually caused by uneven pressure on the barrel. You can either float the barrel or try the other approach which is to equalize the pressure that the stock exerts. I'd probably try the latter first, since it's non-destructive.

The easy experiment is to pull up on the end of the barrel with a small amount of effort and slip cardboard shims between the end of the barrel and the forearm. Don't pry up on the barrel - you just want a small amount of pressure on the barrel.

I've bought more than a few rifles with matchbook shims under the barrel. :)

TNScott
September 30, 2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks, i'll try shimming it first.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Advice / Model 7 , .260" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!